The latest on Dressage .....

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28200
    blueskunk said:
    What a bullshit Olympic event. Should be banned
    Sucking your own dick?

I don't think it is an Olympic event - not even as a demonstration sport.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    blueskunk said:
    What a bullshit Olympic event. Should be banned

Care to give us the benefit of your vast knowledge on the subject then? Why should it be banned? Why is it bullshit.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7287
    it doesnt fit in with the olympic motto of fast, higher, stronger....unless you have to be high to think it's a good idea?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ

So it should be banned...ok.

Ive said this in another thread already, but I do understand that people may not 'like' or 'understand' it. This is mainly because those people know fuck all about it, and what it takes to get to a level good enough to compete in an Olympics. Those that DO know what it takes and actually know something about the sport and STILL don't understand its inclusion...well...fair enough...you are entitled to an opinion like the rest of us.  

To know fuck all about it, and completely dismiss it as bullshit is just pathetic. If you don't like it, fair enough, but the people that put literally YEARS into training for it deserve a tad more respect than that in my opinion.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    holnrew said:
    I dunno, it's like sending Wayne Sleep over the trenches to show how hard your army is
    That sounds like the plot for some kind of caper movie.

"Mince to Victory" :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Nikko said:

Ive said this in another thread already, but I do understand that people may not 'like' or 'understand' it. This is mainly because those people know fuck all about it, and what it takes to get to a level good enough to compete in an Olympics. Those that DO know what it takes and actually know something about the sport and STILL don't understand its inclusion...well...fair enough...you are entitled to an opinion like the rest of us.  

To know fuck all about it, and completely dismiss it as bullshit is just pathetic. If you don't like it, fair enough, but the people that put literally YEARS into training for it deserve a tad more respect than that in my opinion.

Calm down, it's just a forum, no ones calling your wife a cunt here.

Why does anyone deserve respect for doing dressage (or any sport for that matter? I'm not in the business of giving people respect for doing their job well unless it's something worthwhile such as a paramedic, or somebody risking their life in the forces for example, but pissing about on a horse, or splashing about in a small boat, hitting a ball into a hole quicker than other people? Nope. Do they respect me for going to work everyday? Do they bollocks and neither should they.

I can congratulate someone on an achievement like representing their country in any sport, but respect? Thats not the emotion I feel towards them.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    lloyd said:
    Nikko said:

Calm down, it's just a forum, no ones calling your wife a cunt here.

Why does anyone deserve respect for doing dressage (or any sport for that matter? I'm not in the business of giving people respect for doing their job well unless it's something worthwhile such as a paramedic, or somebody risking their life in the forces for example, but pissing about on a horse, or splashing about in a small boat, hitting a ball into a hole quicker than other people? Nope. Do they respect me for going to work everyday? Do they bollocks and neither should they.

I can congratulate someone on an achievement like representing their country in any sport, but respect? Thats not the emotion I feel towards them.

FFS, this isn't about my Wife. Im quite capable of separating that from the discussion.

I respect anyone that shows true dedication to their craft. Why is that so wrong? It doesn't have to be a Dressage rider; it could be an artist, a chef etc. Just because their particular field of expertise may not interest me, it doesn't make it any less valid.

Its down to choice at the end of the day. You can choose whether to watch it or not. You can choose whether to like it or not. Just don't dismiss something as bullshit that should be 'banned' because you don't know anything about it.

The wife comment was a joke.

Like I say, respect isn't what I feel for anyone doing a sport if I'm honest, they're doing it because they want to.

Respect is something earned through actions! Ryan Lochte has dedicated himself to swimming but turns out he's a right cunt, Jimmi Saville ran a shitload of marathons for charity etc.

Do I garner respect for my dedication to the Planning and Scheduling department at work, putting in extra shifts over weekends in order to get the job done (and double time natch)?

• GassageGassage Frets: 30916

Phew. Thought someone had found my Grindr profile for a moment.....

Crisis averted.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Well, believe it or not, the fact that you DO work very hard, and obviously have pride in what you do, and show the dedication  needed to get the job done, DOES earn my respect. It appears to me that you are a decent human being, doing the responsible thing, not letting people down etc

There are plenty of people about that don't give a shit about anything or anyone. That is obviously not you, so why is it wrong to respect you for that.

**This isn't going to turn in to a love in by the way** ;)

Nikko said:

Well, believe it or not, the fact that you DO work very hard, and obviously have pride in what you do, and show the dedication  needed to get the job done, DOES earn my respect. It appears to me that you are a decent human being, doing the responsible thing, not letting people down etc

There are plenty of people about that don't give a shit about anything or anyone. That is obviously not you, so why is it wrong to respect you for that.

**This isn't going to turn in to a love in by the way** ;)

Coz I'm a cunt isn't it? ;)

Nikko said:

I didn't say it was bullshit btw but I do wonder about it's inclusion int he Olympics. I mean it takes a lot of effort and dedication to become an expert photographer but that shouldnt automatically mean its in the olympics.

I reckon it would be beneficial to remove alot of the modern additions and go back to only bona fide greek olympic sports like chariot racing.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    (the horses could still dance first if they wanted)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Nikko said:

I didn't say it was bullshit btw but I do wonder about it's inclusion int he Olympics. I mean it takes a lot of effort and dedication to become an expert photographer but that shouldnt automatically mean its in the olympics.

I reckon it would be beneficial to remove alot of the modern additions and go back to only bona fide greek olympic sports like chariot racing.
    Viewing figures would go through the roof if they competed in the buff like the good old days?

Nikko said:

No, one of the others that commented before you ;)
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28200
    Photography does not - as far as I'm aware - require years of physical training. You can take world-class pictures while still being as weak as a kitten.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    I think the I think the physical demands placed on the riders can be somewhat downgraded, hearing there's a few over 50's in the jumping today.

Not too many of those in any of the physical sports, not that that's indicative of anything, just an observation.

Im not sure that dressage does either, skill definitely, practice definitely, presumably a minimum level of physical fitness but I don't think it requires physical training in the same way that athletics, cycling etc does.

The biggest factor in dressage success is probably quantity of horses you have access to.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ