Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

NPD: Posh DD2.

What's Hot

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

+ a vintage DD2 for the chip harvesting.
    I have to admit this pisses me off. The DD-2 is a really nice pedal, and getting rarer even without Mr. Cornish destroying perfectly good ones.

Rest assured, before long you'll be able to destroy some of his pedals to re-harvest the chips.
    If you can afford it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30941
    Sassafras said:
    Looks nicely made and interesting with the usual gorgeously colourful graphics Mr Cornish is known for, but I dunno, £1300? Can any delay be worth that much?
    I'd rather spend that kind of money on a nice amp with kick arse reverb. I know they're not the same thing but still, £1300?
    I mean £1300?
    Seriously, £1300.
     :) 
    £1300!!!

Look, I'm entirely honest and pragmatic about this.

1. Do I have a spare £1300 (slightly more actually)? yes.

2. Will it be worth that when I sell it? yup, nearer 2k really.

3. Will I enjoy my investment whilst I have it? You bet.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    edited August 2016
    Do please remember that ive got first dibs mate

I tried the Fulltone TTE today and it's not for me, so delay GAS abounds... ;)
  • @Wazmeister So the FX8 hasn't killed your delay GAS quite yet? :) 
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3051
    Gassage said:
    Sassafras said:
    Looks nicely made and interesting with the usual gorgeously colourful graphics Mr Cornish is known for, but I dunno, £1300? Can any delay be worth that much?
    I'd rather spend that kind of money on a nice amp with kick arse reverb. I know they're not the same thing but still, £1300?
    I mean £1300?
    Seriously, £1300.
     :) 
    £1300!!!

Look, I'm entirely honest and pragmatic about this.

1. Do I have a spare £1300 (slightly more actually)? yes.

2. Will it be worth that when I sell it? yup, nearer 2k really.

3. Will I enjoy my investment whilst I have it? You bet.

This is the only comment that is relevant here.

Any product is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

"worth" doesn't have a lot to do with how good the product is. The law of diminishing returns applies. 

R. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    A fun investment that guarantees an excellent return? No brainer. Loved my old dd7. Would gladly have it back. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    @Wazmeister So the FX8 hasn't killed your delay GAS quite yet? :) 
    Once an addict...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I have to say...

I'd forgotten how good these are. It is simply phenomenal. There's a 3Dness and depth to the delay that even the 2290 can't quite match.

I will deffo do some clipage over the weekend....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Looks far too complicated for me. Good score ! 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9591
    @Wazmeister So the FX8 hasn't killed your delay GAS quite yet? :) 
    Once an addict...
    True enough...
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    edited August 2016
    ICBM said:
    hugbot said:
    Question, what do people hear in the DD2? I had one and I honestly had trouble hearing the difference between it and the DD7.
    They do sound different to me. I liked the DD-7 as well, but the really big problem with it is that when you adjust the delay time, instead of changing smoothly like the DD-2, it goes in little steps - so it doesn't sound right for self-oscillation. They also sound more different at high repeat levels anyway because the DD-2's feedback loop is analogue - it's purely the delay itself which is digital - whereas the ones after the DD-3 all have the whole thing in the digital domain.

That said the DD-3 does sound very nearly identical to the DD-2. (Early ones are exactly identical.)
    Having tried a few Boss delays the DD-2 was the one that I found easiest to use. Not sure why that is except perhaps the DD-2's repeats are more analogish in tone with a subtle decay. Whatever the reason, the DD-2 is the only delay pedal that I've been able to use with any success - the others, especially the DD-7, I end up with a mess of clashing repeats. The DD-2 seems to suit my play-style.

Am I correct in thinking that the Cornish is a DD-2 with tap temp and modulation added?
    JezWynd said:
    ICBM said:
    hugbot said:
    Question, what do people hear in the DD2? I had one and I honestly had trouble hearing the difference between it and the DD7.
    They do sound different to me. I liked the DD-7 as well, but the really big problem with it is that when you adjust the delay time, instead of changing smoothly like the DD-2, it goes in little steps - so it doesn't sound right for self-oscillation. They also sound more different at high repeat levels anyway because the DD-2's feedback loop is analogue - it's purely the delay itself which is digital - whereas the ones after the DD-3 all have the whole thing in the digital domain.

That said the DD-3 does sound very nearly identical to the DD-2. (Early ones are exactly identical.)
    Having tried a few Boss delays the DD-2 was the one that I found easiest to use. Not sure why that is except perhaps the DD-2's repeats are more analogish in tone with a subtle decay. Whatever the reason, the DD-2 is the only delay pedal that I've been able to use with any success - the others, especially the DD-7, I end up with a mess of clashing repeats. The DD-2 seems to suit my play-style.

Am I correct in thinking that the Cornish is a DD-2 with tap temp and modulation added?
    As I understand it, and the piss takes apart, the only thing used in the Mk 2 TES is the chip (I seem to recall it's the RE-301 chip too).

Mk1 (blue boss kobs top left) used a lot more of DD2 and hadn't parr mixing inside.

Added to Mk 2- parallel mixing, two buffers, 240v power, ground lift control, dry kill, mod.

There may be more. Happy to post the schematics or PM them to anyone that wants is prob best bet?

• I don't get this parralel mixing - sounds like an analogue through from what I've read before, which boss delays offer as standard anyway - I think. 

Does it mean you have a mix knob? 

It's a cool looking pedal. I don't like most cornish pedals for looks, but the delay looks awesome. I'd be interested to know the schematic, and whether alternative chips could be used. 
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    Gassage said:
    hugbot said:

Depends if the old long chip version or newer one.

Basically the old DD2 chip was used in some epic stuff, Roland Space Echo for one ( I think?)

I owned a DD2 and a DD3 at the same time and the difference in sound was quite dramatic. I'm not sure I would call the DD2 a warm sounding delay, but it was certainly warmer than the DD3. Can't comment on the other DD pedals though.
    I don't get this parralel mixing - sounds like an analogue through from what I've read before, which boss delays offer as standard anyway - I think. 

Does it mean you have a mix knob? 

It's a cool looking pedal. I don't like most cornish pedals for looks, but the delay looks awesome. I'd be interested to know the schematic, and whether alternative chips could be used. 
    I've pm'd the schematic.

In essence the vol knob is the mix. Two signels inside, mixed at end.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Gassage said:

So the same as the DD-2 then...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

So the same as the DD-2 then...
    John, do you want the schematic?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72549
    Gassage said:

Yes please if you have it. Although I'm not about to butcher my increasingly rare vintage DD-2 :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Gassage said:

Yes please if you have it. Although I'm not about to butcher my increasingly rare vintage DD-2 :).
    Sent

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3051
    Moi aussi, s'il vous plait. :)