Floyd rose tuning screws rusted

What's Hot
PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
i have an ibanez us 2000 that has a fixed flood rose style bridge. So it has those tuning adjustment screws, only problem is that the sweat from my hand has rusted them to the point that they don't really turn properly any more.

whats the best fix, I'm thinking use pliers to get them all the way out then give the threads a good clean with something (would wd40 work) then put in new screws.

what do you think?
ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    edited August 2016
    Try tightening them slightly, which can break the rust, then loosen them.
    If you do use pliers use a wider one and put a @mike_l ;between the jaws to protect the metal.

You might be able to reuse the existing fine tuners.
    I use a high grade abrasive paper to remove the rust and then some Liberon lubricating wax to protect the areas.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic said:
    If you do use pliers use a wider one and put a sloth between the jaws to protect the metal.

What did the sloth's ever do to you?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I would disassemble the bridge completely and put the parts with the fine-tuners in a small container with some WD40 overnight to soak - you may find that's enough to free them.

Once you get them free or if you have to get new ones, put a tiny amount of copper grease in the threads, that will hopefully stop them seizing up again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7153
    Or some coke, that stuff dissolves rust like no one's business. Then use some WD40 after. White vinegar works really well too, just soak overnight.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

mike_l said:
    octatonic said:
    If you do use pliers use a wider one and put a sloth between the jaws to protect the metal.

Predictive text stakes again.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    octatonic said:
    mike_l said:
    octatonic said:

And again
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    Most fine tuner screws don't come all the way out (they are crimped at the end of the thread) so don't force them out with pliers. You can just spray them in situ and work them up and down a few times to loosen the rust.
    viz said:
    octatonic said:
    mike_l said:
    octatonic said:

And again
    Was that one being intentional not immediately oblivious?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    octatonic said:

Was that one being intentional not immediately oblivious?
    Cleanly not.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7293
    Maynehead said:
    Most fine tuner screws don't come all the way out (they are crimped at the end of the thread) so don't force them out with pliers. You can just spray them in situ and work them up and down a few times to loosen the rust.
    Can you see if they are cvrimped by taking the bridge out completely? Obviosuly since its fixes there not the normal spring tension issues assocaited with putting a floyd rose back on so I figure even I could manage it :D
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    octatonic said:
    If you do use pliers use a wider one and put a @mike_l ;between the jaws to protect the metal.

What did the mike_l ever do to you?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

mike_l said:
    octatonic said:
    If you do use pliers use a wider one and put a @mike_l between the jaws to protect the metal.

I'll tell you one thing he didn't do...thats fit in my pliers.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    mike_l said:
    octatonic said:
    If you do use pliers use a wider one and put a @mike_l between the jaws to protect the metal.

I'll tell you one thing he didn't do...thats fit in my pliers.
    Get bigger pliers then
    Do I have to think of everything.

Good plan, I do agree with your mission to protect metal. \m/ 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    edited August 2016
    Maynehead said:
    Can you see if they are cvrimped by taking the bridge out completely? Obviosuly since its fixes there not the normal spring tension issues assocaited with putting a floyd rose back on so I figure even I could manage it D
    Yeah ain't gonna do any harm. Just slacken off the strings, take the springs off the back and it should pop out. Give it a good scrub with a toothbrush while you're at it.

Might be worth covering the bridge posts with masking tape while the bridge is off to stop them being accidentally turned.

EDIT: just realised it's a fixed bridge, ignore what I'm saying completely! :D