is there a war on the poor?

What's Hot

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26684

anyone with more money then they can spend is rich.

That's not the problem, it's greed and selfishness.

ie Philip Green

Still waiting for you to back up all of your assertions with actual verifiable facts.

Unless you're just having a stereotypical moan, at which point...don't be surprised when people ignore you.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12400
    It's the human condition to grab for more, yes it's selfish but we ain't perfect. A dog with 4 steaks will still attack a hungry dog that wants one of them, err or something.

Seriously though, I've been on the bones of me arse and I've been alright, working hard can do that for you, even in shitty jobs. Do fuckloads of overtime and keep your eye on how you can do better, night school etc. There's always a way to improve your lot.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33814
    Work till 70 ( you die ) pensions
    Mininmum wage zero hours contracts

More billionaires then ever.
    Face reality.
    Your thread, and particularly this post, is a bit of a logical fallacy masterclass.
    This one ^^^ is false dichotomy- black and white thinking.

There is a hell of a lot more in terms of income levels other than just being poor or being a billionaire.
    Plenty of people have full time jobs, with stock options and a yearly bonus scheme- they aren't the rich, as you define them- they are comfortable.

Do some folks at the top exploit others?
    Yes they do- we don't know how the Phillip Green thing is going to play out yet- maybe he will be forced to make amends.
    There are a lot of wealthy people who are generous too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    I suspect a lot of actual working class people, like the ones who saw earnings drop when Brown´s self induced crisis hit, voted Tory so their clients (ie the people that generate the money to actually pay them) could keep on hiring them. Good plumbers, sparkys and what not can earn a LOT of money in the South East. Why on earth would they vote Labour? A good worker can clear 150 quid a day in the South East. You are basically referring to the non-working class, who are all Corbyn appeals to. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

Actually, thinking about it...you basically seem to be saying anybody with savings is rich.

Comes across more as jealousy than anything else. And no, I'm not even close to rich either. I have been extremely poor, though, and I grew up around people who had everything they wanted while having practically nothing myself (I was a scholarship kid).

So yeah...I've seen all sides of it, and I still think everything you've posted in this thread is a load of stereotypical bollocks.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    edited August 2016
    I'm sick of whiners in this country. People have NO perspective on the real world. Billions of people in the world live in what most people in this country would consider to be abject poverty. They have no healthcare, little access to clean water, a subsistence diet and mostly have to scratch out a living from agriculture or work in a factory performing repetitive mind-numbing actions for hours a day. They live in a very similar manner to how humans have existed for thousands of years.

Yet people in this country have access to one of the most advanced health systems in the world that, despite its problems, will care for you from cradle to grave FOR FREE. People in this country have access to transport that will let them travel and traverse hundreds or thousands of miles at a lower cost than there has ever been. They have clean air, water, unspoiled food that they don't even have to make. They have acccess to cheap devices that lets them express themselves in ways that humans have been unable to for most of recorded history and, if they're interesting enough, can address an audience of thousands who will subscribe to see what they can do or make.

On a daily basis they can watch cinematic productions that cost millions of pounds to produce. They can role-play with millions of people across the globe in virtual realities. They can, at a moments notice anywhere in the world, talk to people they know, wherever they are, FOR FREE. Most people will likely live to see 85.

Kings never lived like this. Presidents never lived like this but apparantly these whiners are barely scraping by. They could work harder and get a better car, a faster PC, a smaller phone, a bigger house. But in the end, if they can't be happy with the amazing life they have right now, what hope is there that any of that is going to help.

Stop whining.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 24reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

ie Philip Green

you must have ignored this the first time.
    @vasselmeyer - spot on. The irony is that while the whiners complain about "the 1%", they completely miss the point that - globally - they are the 1%. They consume resources at just as much of a terrifying rate as the people they're complaining about, at the expense of those below them on the richness scale.
    <space for hire>

ie Philip Green

you must have ignored this the first time.
    And yet you still can't back any of it up.
    <space for hire>
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026

seems the rich are richer and getting everything their way.

Philip green has a £100,000,000 super yatch and his ex employees have lost everything , yet he is not going to prison.

meanwhile the poor are vilified as spongers and criminals.

who are the idiots that back these policies. most must be working class, theres a lot more of them

the rich have no social conscience,they are greedy, selfish parasites.

the French had the right idea.

"let them eat cake"

Aw luv, wots up hon? Bad day?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6906
    I'm rich - compared to the guy who sleeps rough around our town and keeps all his worldly belongings in a shopping trolley...

Previously known as stevebrum
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Grew up on a council estate. We were poor. I left and sorted my life out. Now I'm not poor.

Simples. Even a black person could do it!

*cue accusations of racism*
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    So is there a war on the poor?
    Attacking me is not addressing
    the questjon?
    Why are you being so defensive?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33814
    the questjon?
    No one is being defensive- none of us here are billionaires.
    Your entire premise is flawed, as has been clearly indicated to you.
    Addressing the questions directly- no there is no war on the poor.

Are you high at the moment?
    the questjon?
    I'm not being defensive. Here's what happened:

1 - I read your post and your assertions
    2 - I went off to research the question by finding source material on the subject
    3 - From that source material (which I posted), I concluded that your assertions were wrong and posted as much
    4 - You totally ignored all of it because it doesn't agree with your (evidently unfounded) assertions
    5 - I asked you to back up your claims with evidence
    6 - You posted the same thing again, as though repeating yourself makes it more true
    7 - Repeat steps 5 and 6
    8 - Here we are
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11324
    If you want to see poverty you have to travel a bit.

Go to countries where there is no social security, no job security of any sort, no NHS, where the entire family have to work to bring in the few dollars that will ensure that they can eat for the next day.

Thieving money from people in the form of punitive taxation may appeal to the agitators, but making rich people poorer doesn't make poor people richer.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited August 2016
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed."
  • Alnico said:
    "Good name in man and woman, dear my lord,
    Is the immediate jewel of their souls.
    Who steals my purse steals trash; 'tis something, nothing;
    'Twas mine, 'tis his, and has been slave to thousands;
    But he that filches from me my good name
    Robs me of that which not enriches him,
    And makes me poor indeed."
    We'll have no Moor of that, thank you very much....Hee Hee ( still can't get the farkin smilies to work....Admin...can I have a refund...?? ) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    That's misleading, at best. More people had access to them in 2012/2013, and that also coincides with Job Centre staff being allowed to refer people to them directly. When more help is available, more people will use it (which is the corollary to demand driving supply, of course - there are two sides to this).

That graph certainly doesn't tell the whole story, because more people were pulled out of poverty in 2011 - 2013 than ever before (based on the stats in the links I provided earlier in the thread).
    <space for hire>