is there a war on the poor?

What's Hot

Comments

• capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Agreed lots of people working the system. These parasites need to be weeded out lined up and given a good few blasts with a taser. 

Anyway can someone lend me £80 my son needs a new blazer for school.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    capo4th said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we actually saw a thread like this on here from a member taking advantage of the kind members of tFB. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4679
    What gets me is we have net immigration of 300,000 per year yet unemployment is going down. That means there have been 300,000 jobs that could have been taken up by our local population. The trouble is how do you persuade people to take those jobs with appearing you are hitting those on benefits?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    capo4th said:

Wouldn't surprise me if we actually saw a thread like this on here from a member taking advantage of the kind members of tFB. 
    Not from me binge although I am now £615 poorer after kitting the little man out with school uniform, PE kit, trainers, football boots books and stationary.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:

Is that a specific dig against a particular person, or just a general dig? 
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I actually don't mind people sponging off the system - its the system's job to address that. Like Roosevelt (I think) its the 'poverty of desire' to improve your lot that saddens me. I know people who want more money but don't want to do anything to earn it. Not a thing. They seriously think they deserve more money and they want someone like Corbyn to give it to them. Some of them think its simply the 'right thing to do' to take money off people who have some and give it to "people like us".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Yes it's like they feel they have an entitlement to work the system and live life on someone else's goldies. The crazy thing is we have allowed this culture to develop over the last 20 years. 

If if people need genuine help then absolutely these people deserve every penny. 

I welcome your  suggestions for serial spongers who just need to get with the real world and work for a living.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I've done my best and worked as hard as I can with my conditions but still have fuck all. Effort doesn't equal results if you're held back by illness.

I don't intend to be on benefits as a long term plan (except disability), but they are absolutely necessary for me as a safety net. I'd have killed myself in July without them(although that's not the only time over the last decade or so) , not looking for sympathy, it's just a fact. I'll bet that's acceptable to some of you though.
    My V key is broken
    capo4th said:
    Yes it's like they feel they have an entitlement to work the system and live life on someone else's goldies. The crazy thing is we have allowed this culture to develop over the last 20 years. 

If if people need genuine help then absolutely these people deserve every penny. 

I welcome your  suggestions for serial spongers who just need to get with the real world and work for a living.
    People who work the system will always work the system. Any measures taken against them only end up harming the needy. I'm not denying there are scroungers out there, my ex's grandma does the fake name credit stuff, claims carers allowance in somebody else's name. The only way to deal with them is to report them for investigation.
    My V key is broken
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28915
    edited August 2016
    holnrew said:

People who work the system will always work the system. Any measures taken against them only end up harming the needy.
    I agree. I would rather some people getting money that shouldn't, than some people not getting money that should. I'd also like it to be worth working whereas for some people it isn't, and I'd like a simple, robust and humane (if that's the right word) approach to assessing, where the aim is to get it right, not to achieve an arbitrary target.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Dunno about war on the poor, but there is definitely a war on brain cells around 'ere!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    holnrew said:

People who work the system will always work the system. Any measures taken against them only end up harming the needy.
    I agree. I would rather some people getting money that shouldn't, than some people not getting money that should. I'd also like it to be worth working whereas for some people it isn't, and I'd like a simple, robust and humane (if that's the right word) to assessing, where the aim is to get it right, not to achieve an arbitrary target.
    That's what I'd like too. Having to go to assessments and fight for benefits only lengthens the time I'm unable to work due to the added stress. A lot of people want to work, but don't get the right help, or can't educate themselves without risking their benefits. Voluntary work to get experience should be encouraged, and when in education or volunteering more leeway allowed with the number of jobs applied for. Last time I was on JSA I went on a course they provide which was full time, but was still expected to put in 30 hours a week applying for jobs. It's a very punitive system that works counter intuitively in my experience.
    My V key is broken
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5198
    I left School with a handful of CSE's..No University for me I'm afraid. Maggie Thatcher's YTS Scheme £25 per week from the age of 15..

I'm a Homeowner with Wife and 2 Kids and receive no tax credits or handouts (apart from Child benefit).. I don't feel poor or rich but I know I work hard for a living..I've got the Hernia Scars to prove it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Victim complex round here is amazing
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33871
    Absolutely nothin'
    Say it again.
    Yaw!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6914
    holnrew said:
    I went on a course they provide which was full time, but was still expected to put in 30 hours a week applying for jobs. It's a very punitive system that works counter intuitively in my experience.
    This isn't a pop at you Holn as I've gathered from your posts that there are health problems that restrict you - but sometimes you have to work your balls off and put in the effort to help yourself.

You can do every course the GOV. offers but if you are not actively seeking work it won't get you anywhere.

When I was 18 I worked two days, was at college 3 days and worked 5 nights a week in a shitty bingo club. Then still managed course work at weekends etc.

That's probably not far off the time they expected job seekers on that course to invest...

Besides lots of people who are employed work 60+ hours a week.

And I'd bet that the majority of JSA claimants do nothing like 30 hours...as long as they can show they applied for a certain number of jobs - which doesn't take that long these days with computers.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24858
    tone1 said:
    Hernia Scars
    That's a lousy band name....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Victim complex round here is amazing
    Assume that's directed at me. I don't feel as though I'm acting like a victim, just trying to present the other side of things. My life is what it is, I don't blame others, I've made (and continue to make) mistakes but there are also plenty of things beyond my control that have had a huge impact on things. I'm not looking for sympathy, but understanding as I've repeatedly stated.
    My V key is broken
    Iamnobody said:
    holnrew said:
    I went on a course they provide which was full time, but was still expected to put in 30 hours a week applying for jobs. It's a very punitive system that works counter intuitively in my experience.
    This isn't a pop at you Holn as I've gathered from your posts that there are health problems that restrict you - but sometimes you have to work your balls off and put in the effort to help yourself.

You can do every course the GOV. offers but if you are not actively seeking work it won't get you anywhere.

When I was 18 I worked two days, was at college 3 days and worked 5 nights a week in a shitty bingo club. Then still managed course work at weekends etc.

That's probably not far off the time they expected job seekers on that course to invest...

Besides lots of people who are employed work 60+ hours a week.

And I'd bet that the majority of JSA claimants do nothing like 30 hours...as long as they can show they applied for a certain number of jobs - which doesn't take that long these days with computers.
    While true, there's also a limited number of jobs that somebody is qualified to apply for. I also have long gaps in employment history which makes me kind of unemployable by a lot of organisations. But yes, I shouldn't really have been on JSA because of my issues. I only did it so my ex could get assistance to find a job. Fat lot of appreciation that got me, lol.
    My V key is broken
    tone1 said:
    I left School with a handful of CSE's..No University for me I'm afraid. Maggie Thatcher's YTS Scheme £25 per week from the age of 15..

I'm a Homeowner with Wife and 2 Kids and receive no tax credits or handouts (apart from Child benefit).. I don't feel poor or rich but I know I work hard for a living..I've got the Hernia Scars to prove it.
    This presents another issue. Few can leave school with little in the way of qualifications and find work, and absolutely nobody with that skill level will be able to ever own their own home no matter how hard they work.

Things have changed, the young are much maligned by the government which is why there's a problem with NEETs. 

Moreover each individual's experience is different, you can't say that if you were in another person's shoes and did things the same way, things would work out the same for you.
    My V key is broken