Is it me or...

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7688
Is it me or are all these tops a bit shit for £3.5k+ ?

http://m2m.worldguitars.co.uk
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BasherBasher Frets: 1213
    I'd certainly expect something a bit better matched than this for upwards of three and a half grand:

I'm guessing/hoping that it's one of those things where the light isn't catching it right and the right-hand half is similarly flamed to the left. Completely mismatched grain pattern though. Makes me glad I've just got one of the shitty old ones.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24863
    I'd also expect some form of bridge and at least a volume control at that price.

Scandalous, really....
    15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14002
    Some are better than others that's for sure and they will look better once finished with the burst. There's a couple there I would entertain but with prices starting at a premium above a regular historic R8 why not just buy a nice R8?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It's not you!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27565
    I really like the ones with lots of grain. Far more interesting than symmetrical tiger striping IMO. But I'm not the target market cos I'd rather have a blacktop or Custom.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    No, it's not you.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Damn Gibson giving me a choice of what top I want, they've gone to the dogs.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5637
    edited August 2016
    I really don't understand this programme - you don't know how the guitar will turn out and it could be a lemon. Much better to play a bunch of already built guitars and buy the one that speaks to you.

If I was selecting wood, I would want to select the rosewood for the fretboard as well as the maple cap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27565
    Brize said:
    I really don't understand this programme - you don't know how the guitar will turn out and it could be a lemon. Much better to play a bunch of already built guitars and buy the one that speaks to you.

If I was selecting wood, I would want to select the rosewood for the fretboard as well as the maple cap.
    It's not for us. It's for the guys who buy every third collector's choice because they like the picture and the story in the press release. Then they line them up on their decking and put pictures on TGP/MLP.

The cost of it and how the thing plays/sounds is almost moot.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16897
    Basher said:

I'm guessing/hoping that it's one of those things where the light isn't catching it right and the right-hand half is similarly flamed to the left. .

its not, the dark grainlines show its going to be a completely different figure from whichever angle you view

there are also a few knots and mineral streaks in that selection, but you have no way of knowing if those would grow or shrink during the carving process - its a total gamble without seeing the other side

Surely if you are going to offer this, you should be offering the best tops in the world, or ones which match a certain desirable look.   as an example, I would love the option of a plain 3-piece top. 

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5637
    Brize said:

It's not for us. It's for the guys who buy every third collector's choice because they like the picture and the story in the press release. Then they line them up on their decking and put pictures on TGP/MLP.

The cost of it and how the thing plays/sounds is almost moot.
    Perhaps you're right, but I can't help but think that those guys are more picky than most when it comes to looks. Imagine taking delivery of your new Made to Measure Les Paul with a crappy dry rosewood board?
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3307
    tFB Trader
    Thats more my thing and you never know what they'll look like until carved

I like understated with a bit of flame and mineral streaks

All that real flame stuff is too much, might as well get a prs, just my opinion which counts for nothing lol
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    These are all tops from Guitar Village,  going by the codes. 
    edited August 2016
    These are the tops from Guitar Village,  going by the codes. 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11694
    tFB Trader
    A lot of how it's looking is down to run out of the grain and if you moved your eye or camera it would look more intense
    You tend to get that positive/negative look with heavy run out of grain.

Here is one of our own that has heavy run out 
    From this pic the bass side has crazy grain whilst the treble side not so much

This shot that was taken from another angle (not a great photo) shows the treble side looking much more vivid and the bass side less so

The guitar in question is of course our Amber coloured Lion Supreme that I was inspired by Slash's Chris Deriig built Les Paul to make

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A lot of how it's looking is down to run out of the grain and if you moved your eye or camera it would look more intense
    You tend to get that positive/negative look with heavy run out of grain.

Here is one of our own that has heavy run out 
    From this pic the bass side has crazy grain whilst the treble side not so much

This shot that was taken from another angle (not a great photo) shows the treble side looking much more vivid and the bass side less so

The guitar in question is of course our Amber coloured Lion Supreme that I was inspired by Slash's Chris Deriig built Les Paul to make

All three pictures look like different guitars. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320

What it is with Gibson and their rubbish logos?
    They're plumbing new depths with this one, I honestly think it's worse than the 2015 Les Paul scrawl.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I think the new bridge pickup string anchor idea is revolutionary. 
    Time and time again, Gibson innovate only to be criticised for finish flaws......
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3325
    Are these are so Historic they are before strings were invented
  • Are these are so Historic they are before strings were invented
    But if you look, they have managed to workout a way of only having the strings where they are needed, over the pickups and the neck. 
    Those sections of the string over the body were obviously just wasted steel. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom