Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Spotted: Peter Green's Les Paul

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Kirk always seems like a nice bloke. Good on him!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7408
    I wonder what Kirk Hammett would say if 30 years ago you played him this and told him that he recorded the solo on a guitar he paid $1,000,000 for.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4365
    I haven't watched the video, but I agree with the sentiment that it's great it's being used and gigged still. 

In Peter Green's hands that thing produced the (electric) tone I hear in my head. I guess his fingers didn't hurt, but it's  an amazing sounding guitar, with it's woody honk.

I find it amusing that one of the most revered LP tones of all time, is from a LP that sounds more like a Strat. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11698
    tFB Trader
    late 50s LPs did have a more open stratty sound for a combination of reasons - one of which being the not overwound pickups

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24780
    When KH leaves the wah alone he's great.

I am also very glad that amazing guitar is being played by a guy who really loves the instrument.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72928
    DefaultM said:

I wonder what Kirk Hammett would say if 30 years ago you played him this and told him that he recorded the solo on a guitar he paid $1,000,000 for.
    He would no doubt be pleased that his chosen career path turned out so well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    ICBM said:
    DefaultM said:

He have probably thought all this interweb bobbins was voodoo star trek

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2911
    Anyone who thinks Kirk shouldn't own this guitar is a pathetic cyunt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    The guitar, in theory, will outlive us all, so he won't be the last owner. Let the man enjoy his guitar and make music with it, he is only  the custodian at the end of the day anyway.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    DefaultM said:

I know the figure he paid for it hasn't been published but I understand he didn't pay anywhere near a million bucks for it. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4211
    edited August 2016
    The figure I heard was actually more than $1M, but don't forget it's tax deductible .
    Kirk still only knows one solo though and surely I'm not alone in finding Lars the most irritating twat in the Universe 
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I'm not a massive fan if metallic but this :Kirk still only knows one solo though"
    Is utter bubbles. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7864
    Well... my thought is: He's annoying and a boring guitarist but so what, its just a guitar and we're opinionated monkeys flying on a rock in space. It really matters none more than anyones opinion on which pickups to use. 
  • He's a guitarist, playing music on it 
    for one I'm pleased.
    its better off inspiring a new crowd of guitar geeks, than sitting in a glass case somewhere. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6926
    edited August 2016
    I'm all for it - I might be able to sell my LP to a Metallica fan and say it has a Kirk vibe...

I always thought it might make a nice base for a Greeny project. It's Amber rather than a faded burst but still...

Previously known as stevebrum
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12700
    Good luck to him.

Gary used it for hard Rock verging on metal back in the day, so where's the fire?
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    impmann said:
    Good luck to him.

Gary used it for hard Rock verging on metal back in the day, so where's the fire?
    With the blues brigade
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7408
    I'm sure I read it was a million or more but can't remember where. 
    Personally I love Metallica. Saw them last year and they were awesome. Chorus on this song is a bit embarrassing though. I just think it's very juvenile.
  • I agree with most of the comments here, at least its being used. Same with Bonamassa's vast collection. I'm with DefaultM on the song, but I'll hold my breathe until the album, Death Magnetic turned out pretty good.