If you wanted to.... could you get a gun ?

What's Hot

Comments

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Hate guns.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Steffo said:
    Hate guns.
    That sounds worse than a regular gun
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6140
    This is the sort of conversation that will have the rozzers knocking on your door emp.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27614
    equalsql said:
    This is the sort of conversation that will have the rozzers knocking on your door emp.
    Do they do home delivery of guns now??
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    TTony said:
    equalsql said:

If you're a footballer they do BOGOFS on Tazers...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    TTony said:
    equalsql said:
    Yes. Generally they'll be pointed at you though. And only arrive by the van load.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably, I know a very dodgy guy.
    He once gave me a bottle of what he said was 'industrial strength' pepper spray to give to my girlfriend for when she worked in London, I asked him how he knew it was industrial strength (I didn't know there was different ones) he said he'd tried it on himself and 'couldnt see fuck all for hours'
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yes, if I really wanted to...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Easily.
    Dad ran the NSW Firearms Registry before he retired, before that he was on the police force.
    I've been around guns most of my life- we went through safe handling, went shooting as youths (supervised of course).
    Would I be able to use one on a person?
    It would have to be an end of the world, kill or be killed scenario. Not sure even then.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4923
    edited August 2016
    What you want one of them for, Emp?
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    In London easily.  In Spain I'd just have to get a license. Then I could buy one.  
  • randellarandella Frets: 4184
    edited August 2016
    Hypothetically? Yes.

I grew up in a rural area. I can think of at least 10 families with a shotgun or rifle. 

I also lived in Manchester for a while, the availability of guns there was terrifying. 
    I suppose that depends on which bit of Manchester you live in. I live there and I've never heard of or met anyone who would be able to get their hands in one.
    Very true. I trained with a group of guys from Longsight, Moss Side and Gorton- they were much more streetwise than I was: it was a real eye opener after growing up in rural Scotland. 
    Times they are a changin'. Moss Side barely exists these days, I guess the council (or more likely the local estate agents) figured the name was so tainted they've amalgamated it into Rusholme and Fallowfield bit by bit and one day it was not really there any more. I mean, it is, but it's not. A bit like the big chunks of Didsbury that used to be called 'Withington'. 

South Manchester has its rough areas still, but the way things are going (or were going, I left a while ago) you're more likely to be offered some hooky quinoa. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I've been around firearms a lot, I'm actually very interested in the technology.  It is very important to remember that a gun is just a tool.  On it's own it will never do anything.  It is the intent of the person holding it that defines it's use. 

We have one here, registered, but we are in the country with livestock and you never know when it might come in handy for vermin etc.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    randella said:
    Hypothetically? Yes.

I grew up in a rural area. I can think of at least 10 families with a shotgun or rifle. 

I also lived in Manchester for a while, the availability of guns there was terrifying. 
    I suppose that depends on which bit of Manchester you live in. I live there and I've never heard of or met anyone who would be able to get their hands in one.
    Very true. I trained with a group of guys from Longsight, Moss Side and Gorton- they were much more streetwise than I was: it was a real eye opener after growing up in rural Scotland. 
    Times they are a changin'. Moss Side barely exists these days, I guess the council (or more likely the local estate agents) figured the name was so tainted they've amalgamated it into Rusholme and Fallowfield bit by bit and one day it was not really there any more. I mean, it is, but it's not. A bit like the big chunks of Didsbury that used to be called 'Withington'. 

South Manchester has its rough areas still, but the way things are going (or were going, I left a while ago) you're more likely to be offered some hooky quinoa. 
    I got mugged in Withington a few years ago, nBut yeah it's being gentrified.

Salford's still got some moody areas though.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• randellarandella Frets: 4184
    lloyd said:
    randella said:

I got mugged in Withington a few years ago, nBut yeah it's being gentrified.

Salford's still got some moody areas though.
    Sorry to hear that, shit times. Withington's a funny one, it seems to escape any sort of gentrification, by the same token it never seems to get any worse. It's the same as it was twenty years ago, while Didsbury and Chorlton have gone stratospheric. 

Not been to Salford for years, but with all the redevelopment at the quays I'd be expecting a splurge of organic health food shops and overpriced burger places round there any time soon :)
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    Dare say that anyone can get a gun, or any chosen vice if the desire is sufficient. Guns, drugs, religion, tv, chocolate, drink, tobacco. 

Turns out I'm an ace shot after some target practice. Never thought of it. 

Absolutely no interest in something so destructive though. The thought leaves me cold. 

I believe in peace. Guns have little place in the world: particularly on a guitar forum. 

If you had the right to one, you wouldn't be asking.

If you didn't have the right,  but had one anyway, you wouldn't be asking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    Guns are not the same as drugs @Ally. I was a licensed shotgun owner for 45 years. I shot pheasant, wildfowl, clays, vermin and did my share of crop protection. A gun is a finely crafted tool that is safe to use, consistent pattern of shot, dependable and not too heavy. Among the many guns I had were a composed pair of London built side by sides. IMHO banning the legal holding of guns is a state of time. The drug trade is an example of legislation that is being ignored. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • AllyAlly Frets: 64
    @ Rocker. 

Yes, you have a fair point, and I'm obviously generalising. It's in the hands of the folk using them. I've been around guns and lived on farms, so pretty aquatint with the need under the right circumstances. 

I must admit though, I'm still pretty uncomfortable with anything that can kill: no matter how finely crafted. 
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Nitefly said:
    What you want one of them for, Emp?
    Well, to be brutally honest, I was very pissed and depressed when I posted and was thinking about how - if I was ever serious about it - I would go about shuffling off this mortal coil of my own volition.  I looked up all the various methods on Wikipedia and thought I'm too cowardly to try any of them, bar a gun.  It's mind-blowingly fast (pun intended) and there's no time to regret starting it, as there is in, say an overdose, or slitting arteries etc.  Then I thought... "I don't have a gun....  I wonder how easy it would be to get one ?"  Hence my post.

Don't worry, I'm fine.  I'm not in any way suicidal - but I do get a bit maudlin after a few bevvies.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No, but I could get you a fuckin' toe, dude.