PRS SE Custom values?

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
edited August 2016 in Guitar
Seems hard to pin down how much any of these models are worth used because of the evolution over time from non-maple, to flat maple, then figured, and from moons to birds, no binding to binding.

How much would you expect to pay for maple flat-top with moons? Looking at the older ones that have a toggle switch rather than the selector.

Also, is the quality consistent, are the older ones still well made?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    Quality is very consistent but on the newer ones I have felt a difference in the neck profile whereas I never did on the older ones. I'd say £250-300 as a guide. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27854
    My *opinion* of them is that the older ones are more "honest".

When the SE range was first released, the focus was on simple/basic/quality.  it felt like a separate model range, rather than just cheaper emulations of the US-made guitars.

As time has moved on, they've acquired more bling and the range has expanded to include more complex designs, so that they now appear to be positioned more as cheaper versions of the US models.

Not necessarily a bad thing, just a change in market strategy.  

But I can't help feeling that some quality will have been shaved through time (materials, components) in order to incorporate the bling and complexity without boosting the price too close to the S2 range.  

But yes, whatever the age/model, the SEs seem to have a price ceiling of c£300.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • TTony said:
    But I can't help feeling that some quality will have been shaved through time (materials, components) in order to incorporate the bling and complexity without boosting the price too close to the S2 range.  

The prices have gone up a lot over the past few years.

Having played a multiple old and new ones I don't really agree that the quality has been shaved, they're just no longer the total bargain they were when first released.

Ultimately many PRS customers want the bling, so it probably made sense to make the SE's look closer to the US line.  They do now make PRS standards, in a different factory IIRC, that are closer to the original guitars in terms of plainer appearance.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251

As others have said, there's quite a wide range, so it depends what you're looking at.

I paid £500 for a secondhand SE Tremonti with a sapphire quilted maple top from a dealer a few months ago. IIRC new they were about £700, and if they do come up privately any of that specific model are all over £400. But going by the effort it took me to buy one, it's quite a sought after model/colour, as I missed out on 3 different ones by not being quick enough.

If I'd wanted any other colour, I could of had one quicker and for less money.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    edited August 2016
    Hum,  Being a lover of PRS guitars (US mind) and all things blue, and quilty - I had a quick look and found Andertons selling new ones at £499, down from £549.  So unless its a different model?  or Im missing something? (both quite possible as Im not up on SEs or sig guitars) £500 seems a bit much.  Id thing the £300 mark was about right as suggested..

https://www.andertons.co.uk/p/SETRCSA/solid-body-electric-guitars/prs-se-tremonti-custom-in-sapphire

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited August 2016
    Is £200 a good price for a Custom 22? One of the early ones, so flat top, toggle switch, moon inlays (crucially, in black/grey not sunburst).

I really like the bird inlays, but I'm not going to spend twice as much, seems like most newer bling spec SE's are £300+ used.

What I'm looking for is a decent budget guitar, one that I don't have the care about, but has a bit more quality in terms of build than you might usually get in the <£200 bracket.

The reviews for the PRS SE line in the early days all seem really positive.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1251

@paulmapp8306 the pics on that link don't match the actual guitar.

When that final batch appeared for sale at several retailers, I thought I was going to get lucky, but it transpired somebody had sent out the wrong photos, and it was flame top guitars with a lighter finish they actually had. I briefly had one from GAK, but sent it back as it wasn't what I was looking for, and Andertons went to the trouble of taking photos of the one they had in stock and it was a flame top as well.

I remember seeing a quilt top in GuitarGuitar at the time, but I couldn't justify the £700 (might of even been a bit more) at the time, and I spent several months regretting not abusing the credit card and just buying it when I had the chance.

• FAir enough - the flame ones are pretty much £500 across the board.

• grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3356
    edited August 2016
    Jack_ said:
    Is £200 a good price for a Custom 22? One of the early ones, so flat top, toggle switch, moon inlays (crucially, in black/grey not sunburst).

I really like the bird inlays, but I'm not going to spend twice as much, seems like most newer bling spec SE's are £300+ used.

What I'm looking for is a decent budget guitar, one that I don't have the care about, but has a bit more quality in terms of build than you might usually get in the <£200 bracket.

The reviews for the PRS SE line in the early days all seem really positive.
    Yeah that's a good price for one and it'll play well as long as the nuts not been messed with  or the trem pivot screws if it's not the stop tail version. 

Bith th are cheap and easy to fix though