Apple's potential tax bill in Ireland

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
edited August 2016 in Off Topic
Ireland should recover up to €13bn (£11bn) from Apple in back taxes, the European Commission has ruled.

I bet Apple's legal partners are rubbing their hands, they will make a shed load from Apple defending this.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited August 2016
    Rather brings Osborne's marvellous settlements with the Globals back in the spotlight and how pathetically shit he was at securing a good deal for UK PLC>.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Not really sure how this is guitar related - it perhaps ought to be moved to "Off Topic"? 
    We are all Chameleons...
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    TonyR said:
    Not really sure how this is guitar related - it perhaps ought to be moved to "Off Topic"? 
    My mistake, fixed

• RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Don't understand how the figure was computed. @Evilmags please explain.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7876
    My bet is their legal guys will find a way to pay a fraction of that. 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Pay a fraction over many many many years
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Rocker said:
    Don't understand how the figure was computed. @Evilmags please explain.
    From what I´ve read Apple have paid 1% of attributable profits in tax to the Irish government (with the explicit agreement of the Irish government, who will anyway earn massive revenues from all of the income tax of Apple Ireland´s employees) Big EU states, such as France and Italy, which have very high tax rates for corporations, get very upset when US firms locate to Ireland (bringing Ireland jobs and prosperity).Ireland have been doing this since about 1992 an the results of their policy have been very successful. 

Ireland GDP
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The number will include interest, so you would take the tax owed for each year. (11.5% of attributable profits) and get its present value using interest rate forward value equations (Present value = Past value X (1+ interest rate)^year) and then su them. 
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2442
    Talking to one of my Irish dealers this morning about this. Apparently Apple have only paid about 50 Euros in tax per million turnover for however long. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• webrthomsonwebrthomson Frets: 1031

I personally find it astonishing that Apple can even be bothered to evade tax when the rate is 12.5% - if the government offered me a rate of 12.5% I would be whistling a jonty tune as I looked for my cheque book :)

Needless to say the adverse press will not stop the iSheep from wanting the latest slave labour produced iThing.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    edited August 2016
    My understanding is the 12.5% was on profits made in Ireland only. So they paid normal Corp tax on that (Which is lower than the rest of Europe anyway). Profit made in other countries in the EU (and possibly around the world) were pushed through a virtual head office (no staff, no premises) and somehow they were not obliged by the Irish Government to pay tax on that non Irish profit that was pushed through this virtual Irish head office. This meant an effective tax rate on EU based earnings ranging from 1% when the system was set up to 0.005% in 2014. Hence 50 euro per million
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    I imagine that if Apple had had to pay 12% tax they wouldn't have had that part of their business in Ireland. Lucky lawyers.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Hope it all gets sorted - I'm heartily sick of the big US companies avoiding paying taxes anywhere (even in the US).  I keep going back to Starbucks vs Costa - the difference in tax paid is a disgrace.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4633
    Funny enough the Irish government is on Apples side
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    edited August 2016
    Funny enough the Irish government is on Apples side
    If the business is based there they employ Irish workers who are no longer on the dole and pay Irish income tax.  They have a lot of other businesses they attract with their tax dealings.  They don't want to risk losing Apple or any of the other businesses.

As long as they are in the EU and have a lower tax rate than other EU countries they can clean up.  Luxembourg do a lot of similar stuff as well.

For the EU to work, there needs to be much greater harmonisation and all nations in the EU need to have the same tax rates. It would end up with much higher tax rates like a lot of continental EU countries and everything would be completely uncompetitive on a world scale.  This is why we are better off out.

As I understand it, one other theoretical advantage of Brexit is that Apple (and other companies) will have to set up some kind of UK office for UK sales (which will pay UK tax)  rather than channel it all through Ireland to avoid tax.  Of course they will try to use other dodges to avoid UK tax - one obvious one that occurs is to claim that they make no profit on UK operations by selling their stuff to the UK branch at an inflated rate so it's the "manufacturing" branch of Apple that makes all the profits.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8708
    Jalapeno said:
    Hope it all gets sorted - I'm heartily sick of the big US companies avoiding paying taxes anywhere (even in the US). 
    The underlying issue is that nation states' tax regimes aren't suited to modern multinational operations. If VAT were to be payable at physical point of delivery, rather than some theoretical point of sale, then the situation would be very different. 

The quality of Starbucks' coffee is certainly a disgrace
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Wonder if I changed my name, by deed poll, to Apple, would I get an income tax rate of 0.005%? I could live with that....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Note how they are only going for an Irish based company, rather than one from Luxembourg, country of origin of Jean Claude Junkers and fiscal base of tax avoiders like Guardian media group (amongst many others, but the hypocrisy of that one is a bit special). 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Fair point @Evilmags ;

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    Evilmags said:
    Note how they are only going for an Irish based company, rather than one from Luxembourg, country of origin of Jean Claude Junkers and fiscal base of tax avoiders like Guardian media group (amongst many others, but the hypocrisy of that one is a bit special). 
    I detest Juncker, but to be fair to him, I did read one article earlier that said they are potentially going after Luxembourg as well.