Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Stretching- I mean proper stretching.

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
I do a bit of stretching after running, which is enough but only barely, to maintain my current level of flexibility.

I'd like to get a lot more flexible- not '12 year old gymnast' flexible, but better than average- maybe even bordering on 'impressive for a middle age man' level.
Has anyone done such a thing?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    edited August 2016
    I can't claim to be particularly fit, flexible or middle-aged, but there is an excellent, comprehensive yet simple book called 'Stretching' by Bob Anderson, that has easy to follow stretches and stretching routines to increase flexibility, as long as you have a degree of self-discipline to persist with them. 

Back in my squash playing days, when I suffered from lower back pain I used to do a 5 minute routine from the book morning and evening, and it really helped. 

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0936070463

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    Cheers- will check it out.

• camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Pilates?
  • camfcamf Frets: 1191
    Or yoga?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • marcus449marcus449 Frets: 151
    I'm also a runner, used to get back and stretch all the normal P.E. lesson stretches then discovered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TriggerPoint-Performance-Grid-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472596166&sr=8-5&keywords=roller

in terms of keeping my limbs fresh it was superb, helped me with the normal stretching a lot 

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22212
    Pilates is brilliant. I will start again once my work schedule sorts itself out. I've always been very flexible, long tendons which conversely is the reason why running fast has never been my thing. Get me on the sit and reach or doing hamstrings stretches though and I'm world class :D

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7517
    People like Steve Cotter and Steve Maxwell have moved toward mobility as a focus of exercise 

Doing things like Windmills and Turkish Get Ups with good form demand (and develop) flexibility and strength across a wide range of motion 
    Red ones are better. 
    I've done a few yoga classes but the spiritual dimension irritates, even in supposedly non-religious settings it still seems to pervade.
    I'll see if I can find a Pilates class, I don't know much about it.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725

Pilates is a lot about core strength with flexibility. My missus does it and really likes it but it's not pure stretching.  I agree about yoga, the physical side is great, even the breathing / meditation, to a point then they spoil it by getting all pretentious and spiritual.  I'm in a similar situation, fairly inflexible and should do something, but having tight hamstrings seems to have helped in that I've never strained one in my life, even playing a fair amount of football. I do stretch before runningand after running, but more of a token gesture. I think a daily programme from a book could be the way to go.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4725

Oh, btw, I've always said to myself I'd do Yoga / stretching every day from 40 and I'm 40 next month, so this is something I really need to get on with also.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4219
    octatonic said:
    I've done a few yoga classes but the spiritual dimension irritates, even in supposedly non-religious settings it still seems to pervade.
    Another Pilates fan here. No sprituality, the classes I went to were lighthearted and good natured. Great for core strength. Half a dozen classes will set you up with some great skills you can use on your own. It's a tougher workout than people give it credit for too - it's not an aerobic slog but it'll give you aches in muscles you didn't know you had :)
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4040
    jaytmon said:
    ...but there is an excellent, comprehensive yet simple book called 'Stretching' by Bob Anderson, that has easy to follow stretches and stretching routines to increase flexibility, as long as you have a degree of self-discipline to persist with them.

Link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0936070463

That book has been my bible for teaching specific stretches to patients for years.  "Excellent, comprehensive, yet simple," sums it up nicely. 
    I like Pilates for rehab too.  Personally, I kinda think they're two different things though so will tend to recommend one over the other depending what the problem is.  No harm in doing both though!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I'm in the same boat. I do some stretching most days as I go out jogging 6 days a week. I'd love to get better flexibility. The trouble with classes is they cost money and you have to get to them.
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    I do yoga. I'm 50 but have the body of a 48 year old. You may have found the wrong classes for you - those I attend don't have any spiritual content beyond a quick "Namaste". You might also consider 1:1 sessions where you can dictate the programme. Great for strength and flexibility built around core strength.
    marcus449 said:
    I'm also a runner, used to get back and stretch all the normal P.E. lesson stretches then discovered this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TriggerPoint-Performance-Grid-Foam-Roller/dp/B0040EGNIU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1472596166&sr=8-5&keywords=roller

in terms of keeping my limbs fresh it was superb, helped me with the normal stretching a lot 

Yup, I have a foam roller- it is part of my warm down after running.
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    jellyroll said:
    I do yoga. I'm 50 but have the body of a 48 year old. You may have found the wrong classes for you - those I attend don't have any spiritual content beyond a quick "Namaste". You might also consider 1:1 sessions where you can dictate the programme. Great for strength and flexibility built around core strength.
    There's a local osteopath who's training as a yoga teacher and he does 1:1 specifically tailored programs, depending on needs/abilities etc. I had a good chat with him about it a little while ago. He is also a total pragmatist and non-spiritual, so they are out there. I didn't follow it up because I know I wouldn't have the discipline to do the exercises at home. 
  • Do you do dynamic stretches as part of your warmups?

I actually think they're very useful, especially for leg flexibility.  Running and cycling don't put your legs through their full range of motion, but doing things like leg swings will.  Having played sports against some older athletes the ones who were still in good shape did dynamic stretching warmups and regular yoga.

Personally I'm prone to stiff hamstrings.  I notice a difference when I don't do dynamic stretches in my warmups.

Do you do dynamic stretches as part of your warmups?

I actually think they're very useful, especially for leg flexibility.  Running and cycling don't put your legs through their full range of motion, but doing things like leg swings will.  Having played sports against some older athletes the ones who were still in good shape did dynamic stretching warmups and regular yoga.

Personally I'm prone to stiff hamstrings.  I notice a difference when I don't do dynamic stretches in my warmups.

Yeah, I do dynamic stretches.
    Stiff hamstrings and restricted hip abductors seems to be the main issue for me- a bit of lower back pain is the result.
    Pretty common I guess.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    http://flavyanson.com/2015/05/18/yoga-is-satanic-worship/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Drew_fx said:
    octatonic said:
    http://flavyanson.com/2015/05/18/yoga-is-satanic-worship/

LOL.
    How do these people manage to make it to adulthood?