Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Like a bit of Flange..

What's Hot
andyozandyoz Frets: 718
Got my first Flanger...hours of Riffing to Heart's Barracuda, etc. is inevitable.

How can anybody knock a heavily driven, palm muted Flange tone?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I find that getting a good flange sound takes a bit of work to dial in. It's very easy to get it spectacularly wrong and for it to sound like a massive pile of arse.  When you get it right though, a bit of flanger can be a wonderous thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I find that getting a good flange sound takes a bit of work to dial in. It's very easy to get it spectacularly wrong and for it to sound like a massive pile of arse.  When you get it right though, a bit of flanger can be a wonderous thing.
    Depends on the Flanger to large degree - I find that it's hard to get a duff sound from an Electric Mistress, whilst the BF-2 I struggle with. I like some of the sounds in the Line6 LiquaFlange, but it's a pain to use on a pedalboard with it's need for separate PSU and weighing the same as a Fiat Punto.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    dogload said:
    I find that getting a good flange sound takes a bit of work to dial in. It's very easy to get it spectacularly wrong and for it to sound like a massive pile of arse.  When you get it right though, a bit of flanger can be a wonderous thing.
    Depends on the Flanger to large degree - I find that it's hard to get a duff sound from an Electric Mistress, whilst the BF-2 I struggle with. I like some of the sounds in the Line6 LiquaFlange, but it's a pain to use on a pedalboard with it's need for separate PSU and weighing the same as a Fiat Punto.
    I hear you. I got a BF-2 when I was 14 in 1981 and wanted to sound like Andy Summer and could never get the BF-2 to sound that way. 

Eventually a few years later in one band I set it to give me a sound with a distorted guitar that was quite gnarly with a slow narrow sweep but with plenty of resonance and feedback and it sounded great but quite unlike anything I had heard before so it became an integral part of my tone.

I never did get an Electric Mistress and revel in those shimmery Andy Summers flange sweeps, would still like one I guess.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    I have a treasured, very old Boss Hi-Band flanger - awesomeness !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited August 2016
    Jalapeno said:
    Actually, this MXR EVH one is my second flanger.  I got a Boss BF-1 a few months back.  Does that lovely Andy Summers flanger/chorus thing.  Fecken love flange at the moment.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    the only flange I've had in years has been by EHX...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    I only have the cheapo Joyo Flanger....sounds good though. Does a perfect Barracuda sound. I can get a half decent Eddie with a bit of knob fiddling. But often tempted to just spurge on the MXR EVH flanger...then I remember in my band as of yet I don't use Flanger AT ALL. So it'd be just for my own fun at home...stick with the Joyo till I see and can snaffle a bargain EVH wun methinks. Great effect - but small doses like with a lot of FX is key.
  • NotNowJohnNotNowJohn Frets: 187
    I was very happy with the Mooer Eleclady until the A/DA PBF Flanger caught my eye - it's brill. Really versatile and it has the crucial Level control.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Best flange tone ever, IMO, is Ronnie Le Tekro's use of a Boss BF as a notch filter.  One of the greatest tones of all time.
  • Gassage said:
    There's a joke in there somewhere, but I don't know you to make it........ :o
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24812
    Gassage said:
    I sold my Electric Mistress some years ago and have been entirely flange-free since.

Its very depressing....
  • Pablo Gilberto has a great flange sound. Or maybe its a phase shifter? Fuzz Universe?
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    Jalapeno said:
    I've never found a flange sound I like as much as the Hi Band, sounds brilliant with bass too.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Nope, I can't think of anything that's like a bit of flange.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5158
    Pablo Gilberto has a great flange sound. Or maybe its a phase shifter? Fuzz Universe?
    He was using the Ibanez AF-2 Airplane Flanger for a while. I saw a rig rundown video where he demonstrated the sort of pseudo dive bomb sound he was getting from it. Sounded mint. He has an interesting "punch in" approach to effects that I saw in his TC Sub'n'Up demo too...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @UnclePsychosis now has all my microflange.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Pablo Gilberto has a great flange sound. Or maybe its a phase shifter? Fuzz Universe?
    He uses flange on Hurry Up from Get Out Of My Yard. I have a Young Guitar dvd and he said for regular flange sounds he likes Rush / Andy Summers type chorusy flange.  
  • @mike_l

Indeed. It may be micro but it's very pleasurable and flangy all the same.

I've become a bit flanger obsessive recently. Keep being tempted by bf-2s and other fun looking things. Thankfully I've realised that the Electric Mistress types aren't for me so that's a lot of temptation put to bed.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    I used to be a Flanger obsessive... I actually used to have three on the go at one point (an Electric Mistress Deluxe, BF-2 and Morley Pro-Flanger) which sounded either awesome or stupid. Currently using the Mooer ElecLady which is far more space-friendly than the EH and sounds close enough by the time there's some dirt going in.

• andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    edited September 2016
    The MXR EVH is a really solid thing.  The Boss BF-1 is just retro cool and is surprisingly quiet, etc.  It gives nothing away to the modern MXR (and does a great chorus thing) so can see why they are highly regarded.