Found three-quarters of a £10 note

What's Hot
paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
A couple of days back, I was mowing the grass and I happened to check the grass collector, to my surprise I found a £10 note in there! (It was quite long grass....so didn't spot it before, just ploughed through it. It was an area of rough ground behind my home where I have a rear gate to access a track, which is unadopted). However, its not complete, its about 3/4 of the total length it should be. Luckily, the bit with the serial number was retained, the other bit chopped off.

Is it still legal tender? Can I use it in a shop (I imagine the shopkeeper would be a bit miffed!) If not, can I swap it in a bank? My bank or any bank? My bank doesn't have branches, it uses the Post Office as an agency service for paying in cheques/cash etc. Can I go to a Post Office to swap it or must it be a bank?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396

take it to your bank. they will have a list of requirements that it must meet. I cant quite remember them all now but from the top of my head it must be more than half the note. must contain both serial numbers. I think theres some requirement for the phrase "i promise to pay the bearer.." but Im not certain.

If youre doesnt meet the "standards" they will supply you with a form to send it off as a mutilated bank note. it gets sent to whereever and they pay you out! This sometimes takes a little longer but you will get the cash!

How very rock and roll
  • If your bank won't accept it you can try sending it to the bank of england.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/damaged_banknotes.aspx

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I'd laugh if you went to the bank and they gave you £7.50 in change.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • benmurray85benmurray85 Frets: 1396
    If your bank won't accept it you can try sending it to the bank of england.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/damaged_banknotes.aspx

ah thats the form I was on about. Didnt know you could get it online. If I was you I'd send it on  to that and save yourself a trip to the bank coupled with some poor customer service ;-)
    How very rock and roll
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Great, I've printed out and filled in the form, will send off and get my £7.50 put into my bank account.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Send it to Philip Hammond, he'll need it when he gets back from holiday and grabs hold of the economy.

• Maybe it's a post brexit tenner
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I held £10 up to a heat lamp in Domino's Pizza about 25 years ago and 40% of it disappeared instantly! It was my little brother's tenner and we sent him to NatWest across the road, who gave him a new note. Hope you get it back.