Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

90% dark chocolate

What's Hot
Is this a gimmick? Its like eating bitter wax.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5262
    no gimmick i think it can be excellent, has to be a fine chocolate though
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    I've got the lindt one. I'm not sure if they've stored it incorrectly. I got the 70% one as well and thats amazing.
  • 90% you might as well eat coffee straight from the jar. Horrible stuff. 75% is just right
  • Don't think I've had 90% but I do like the bitter chocolates. Apart from the texture can be quite grainy on some of them
    How very rock and roll
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Dairy Milk FTW!  Yeah, I know, I'm a pleb. Don't like the dark bitter stuff at all. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Very much depends on the chocolate. Some of those really dark ones are only really for cooking with and taste nasty. I've had a 90% one that was almost inedible but last week I had a 100% one that was delicious:

https://www.montezumas.co.uk/bars-c1/100-cocoa-chocolate-bar-absolute-black-p249

Probably also worth pointing out that these dark chocolates aren't really for gorging on. You nibble away at them in small amounts.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    How is 100% cocoa chocolate? Isn't it just cocoa? 
  • boogieman said:
    Dairy Milk FTW!  Yeah, I know, I'm a pleb. Don't like the dark bitter stuff at all. 
    This.

Milky Bar for the full on white chocolate glory too.

Dark chocolate to me is basically "the left over choccies from the tin when all the good ones have gone"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Love Lindt 90%, I go through several bars a week! Oddly enough I don't like 85%.

100% is a bit much by itself but it's nice with strawberries/blueberries etc. And yes the ingredients is "Cocoa mass" and that's it.

I also like Milky Way, in a subconscious attempt to retain my pleb credentials!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    I like dark chocolate and between 70-80% is about perfect for me 85-90% and it's just a tad too bitter generally.

I used to like milk chocolate but it has changed over the years 
    For example back in the Rowntree days KitKat's used to be great but now the chocolate is too oily (guess the focus group wanted more of that melt in the mouth blah blah blah). Seems like it has too much vegetable oil in it .

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22827
    Love Lindt 90%, I go through several bars a week! Oddly enough I don't like 85%.

I like the 85% but not so keen on the 90%, although I have tried 90% from other brands and liked it.

My brother got me some 99% from, I think, Hotel Chocolat.  Now that is getting just a little too bitter.
  • Yeah 70-80 is the sweet spot. Some of the stuff from Aldi is quite good actually, under the Moser Roth brand name I think
  • In our house it's always white chocolate that gets left until last. My youngest son trained himself to like it so he would always get more chocolate than the rest of us. 

Very dark,  bitter chocolate I like but dairy milk is fine too. My mother really lives cheap chocolate -  the kind of fake Cadbury buttons you used to get off the market. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • xsheqxsheq Frets: 71
    Pussies.

• Fanny.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • I need to try some of this stuff!

I generally find 70-72% a little wanting, 80-85% can be nice but it has to be top quality.

The Tesco Finest stuff is good, the different varieties from different countries are strikingly different in taste.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I generally have a bar at work between 70-90. It's OK for the occasional nibble but too strong to chomp down, so that's a good thing! a bar usually lasts me maybe 2 weeks.
  • I think it has to be mixed with something, used as a coating e.g. on Bendick's Bittermints which are amazing IMO.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    DefaultM said:
    Is this a gimmick? Its like eating bitter wax.
    It's supposed to be, comparitively, quite good for - although I think that's because you'd only want to eat one mouthful of it whereas polishing off a whole bar of dairy milk is easy work.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • I really like 90% dark chocolate.  You can shove your teeth itchingly sweet dairy milk where the sun doesn't shine.