Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the most versatile guitar?

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    My cents worth is to begin to consider the guitar + amp as a single entity.  You can get a very wide range of tones using both as one instrument.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    A good semi with coil taps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    How's about an Ibanez RG.  If I had to have one guitar this would be the type.

Very comfortable ergonomically, not too weighty, and despite being slightly pointy in appearance they're incredibly versatile sonically cos you have the humbuckers and the single coil combinations.  I tend to block off the trems too -- I just prefer hardtails.

And they're not too expensive.
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    TTony said:
    I'd vote for either a Variax or a Godin XTSA.

The Variax gives you a whole range of guitar sounds, but always feels like the same guitar.  That same feel is either a good or bad thing, depending on your preferences. 
    I'm a fan of The B-52's, and Keith Strickland used a Variax for live work for the last few tours.  Funnily enough he only used it because it could do so many sounds and alternate tunings (Ricky Wilson - the original - loved his weird tunings) but misses not having a real pickup.
    edited January 2014
    Howabout a Peavey Generation EXP Custom?  Lots of pick up options, as well as piezo in there too.  They can be snapped up quite cheap, are really well made:

imageimage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    edited January 2014
    Somebody said the guitar isn't necessarily versatile, but the player is.

Dull, but probably true.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    My EBMM Steve Morse is very versatile for sounds with the combination of HB & single coils. Goes from rock to country...pretty much covers most sounds you could wish to find
    Cheers
    Baz
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127

Something with Seymour Duncan P-rails in - the humbucker setting really does sound like a humbucker and the P90 setting really does sound like a single coil (the rail setting, on the other hand is a bit dubious).
    Much better balance of the two sounds than any split coil I've ever installed or used.  

Got some installed in an ESP LTD MH-100QM with original Floyd Rose if you're interested  (but that's a by the by - I stick with the above whatever)
    ;)
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 615
    edited January 2014
    You are right on the Peavey Generation EXP Rox... for the money they are superb and bloody well made... solid as a rock
    Only just moved mine on & struggled to get £150 !

Cheers
    Baz

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited January 2014
    frankus said:
    I'd say a Strat with an HLK and a tremel-no gets pretty close ... if you want to get a bit closer get a GK3 pickup on it and a GR55 - it's like a Variax then ;)

I, too was going to suggest a Roland GR-55 but paired with a guitar already having a HSH pickup configuration with coil taps.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452

PRS DGT, gets close enough with the tapped humbuckers to most guitar sounds you could need.
    This
  • ICBM said:
    If the Swiss Army made guitars then it would be one of them.
    If the Swiss Army made guitars it would be an Eggle/Levinson Berlin Pro with VSC :).

AuldReekie knows exactly what I mean!

Yes ICBM, as you well know my Berlin has a Blade VSC fitted, giving a total of 27 different options via three switches - pick up selector (3 options) x coil tap (3 options) x VSC (3 options) and all the sounds are useable. In addition, you can alter the amount of bass/mid/treble on the VSC..................
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31604
    OP, what guitar do you already have?
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3324
    I'm finding my hs mustang a hugely versatile guitar, covers everything from strat cleans and funk (thanks to the out of phase option) to metal easily. Very light weight and an easy playing guitar. The 24 scale may not work for everyone though.
  • Rox said:
    Howabout a Peavey Generation EXP Custom?  Lots of pick up options, as well as piezo in there too.  They can be snapped up quite cheap, are really well made:

imageimage
    I really like this.

I'm glad this question has inspired such discussion. I'm not really in the market for a new guitar at the moment - I'm going through a phase of trying to reboot my motivation to playing and it's something that came to mind.

If I was buying a guitar, I'd probably only have a budget of £300 max so many of the suggestions here wouldn't work for me. But it's useful to have the thread here for others.

I like Rocker's idea of thinking of the guitar & amp as a single unit. I guess with the right amp and knowledge of how to use the various controls you can get a wide variety of sounds out of your kit. It's something I am aware of and really want to learn, but I guess it's one of those things you have to put time into
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Rox said:

imageimage
    I really like this.

I'm glad this question has inspired such discussion. I'm not really in the market for a new guitar at the moment - I'm going through a phase of trying to reboot my motivation to playing and it's something that came to mind.

If I was buying a guitar, I'd probably only have a budget of £300 max so many of the suggestions here wouldn't work for me. But it's useful to have the thread here for others.

I like Rocker's idea of thinking of the guitar & amp as a single unit. I guess with the right amp and knowledge of how to use the various controls you can get a wide variety of sounds out of your kit. It's something I am aware of and really want to learn, but I guess it's one of those things you have to put time into
    I have just the one amp, a Vox AD30VT, which is brilliant.  Lots of amp sounds, lots of options, but not overly complicated.  I find if I search carefully enough, I can find a setting that suits pretty much every guitar I have.  I was struggling finding the right 'sound' for a Japanese LP Custom I have (a cracker!), but their 80's setting really works nicely.

They replaced the AD series it with the VT30 series (both types have 15w, 30w, 50w and 100w options), I had a VT30 but preferred the AD30VT so sold the VT.  You can pick the AD30's up at very reasonable sub-£100 prices - and the Peavey perhaps somewhere between £100-200.  Easily within your budget for both, and plenty of variation in both bits of equipment.

You're making me wish I hadn't sold mine now!  :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've posted a pic of this to the old forum with several warnings, anyway, I used this guitar on stage playing everything from Dire Straits to ZZ Top to Ventures to Moody Blues......, how you ask?  Note the Kahler trem(minus wammy bar here), the D'Marzzio dual sound pick ups and the switches between the knobs that allowed me to switch between single and dual coil.  I bought this fairly cheap in the 1970's because a former owner had already altered it beyond vintage value, it is a mid 70's Gibson Les Paul gold top.  I've since sold it on but I miss it some times.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6136

Another +1 for a HSS Strat..

Or you could always try a Fret King Danny Bryant..

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Lixarto said:
    Somebody said the guitar isn't necessarily versatile, but the player is.

Dull, but probably true.
    This all the way.

And who uses all 5 positions on a strat? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • PyromanPyroman Frets: 58

I have a Schecter Solo Special, with a humbucker in the bridge, and a P90 in the neck.  the 'Bucker is splittable, the '90 is tappable, and it has individual volume and tone controls for each pickup.  VERY versatile set up.  It's got a tune o matic and a stopbar, and sustains for DAYS!

It was also only $350 new.  ( it was on sale!)

I cheated, though, and bought a Fender Mustang III.  12 different amp models ( I have a version 1), the ability to tweak just about anything you could want- including speaker and cab sims, and a boatload of well chosen effects on board.  That, and 100 user editable presets to put all your favorite sounds in.   With that Schecter guitar, I have a hard time getting any BAD sounds out of it.

For home use, for those with widely varying tastes- it's tough to beat.  Sounds very convincing- like a real amp, and not like a digi toy.  Also has an fx loop that can double as a line out, jacks for two footswitches, and enough guts for the occasional gig.  Takes all the pedals I can throw at it like a champ. The current version adds an XLR out, more amps, and more effects.  Blackstar and Roland make some nice modellers, too- I just happen to like the combination of features Fender offered in theirs.

Anyhow, there's another option for you- a versatile AMP to go with whatever guitar you like best.