Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What is the most versatile guitar?

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• I don't really get the HSS thing...I don't really hear much difference between a single coil in the bridge position and a humbucker

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You're doing it wrong then ;)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916

VG strat

Real USA strat single coils

then simulated strat, tele, HB, acoustic, all in normal tuning, Open G, dropped D, DADGAD, baritone and 12 string

edited January 2014

but you mean analogue pickups I guess:

in which case EMG 89 on bridge and neck,. an SA in the middle if you like

Active bass and treble EQ

89s can do EMG 85 sound, or SA sound. They are amazing

and stick a piezo in too

in fact, that means it's this guitar:

http://www.steinberger.com/tech20080007.html

• Strat or tele I reckon, based on the amount of times I've seen/heard them being played in various styles of music. Personally I'd rather have a single coil bridge pickup than make do with the sound of a split humbucker, but that's just because I don't play very distorted stuff. 

335s can also do most styles pretty convincingly - nice balance of twang and fatness. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    ICBM said:
    NPP said:
    just (physically) swap the neck and middle pickups. This should give you m - m+n - n - n+b - b on the 5-way switch. 
    I know - 
    wouldnt a RW/RP  in the middle fuck all that up tho ?  

I just used a schaller mega E........about £7 I think
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    bertie said:
    NPP said:
    just (physically) swap the neck and middle pickups. This should give you m - m+n - n - n+b - b on the 5-way switch.
    wouldnt a RW/RP  in the middle fuck all that up tho ?
    That's why you have to physically swap the neck and middle pickups, not swap their connections on the switch.

bertie said:
    I just used a schaller mega E........about £7 I think
    I would use a proper Superswitch, but the guitar is a Japanese Aria with the short-frame switch, so it won't fit. It was hard enough to find a standard 5-way that did!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Strat or tele I reckon, based on the amount of times I've seen/heard them being played in various styles of music. Personally I'd rather have a single coil bridge pickup than make do with the sound of a split humbucker, but that's just because I don't play very distorted stuff. 

335s can also do most styles pretty convincingly - nice balance of twang and fatness. 

EMG 89 is not a split HB in the same way, different magnets I assume, SC mode sounds like SC much, much more than normal HB efforts.

the Suhr SSV split is a pretty good imitation of a true SC, btw, but I know what you mean, most HB sound nothing like a SC when split

• bertiebertie Frets: 13569
    ICBM said:
    That's why you have to physically swap the neck and middle pickups, not swap their connections on the switch.
    but then the "neck" in the midldle would cause pos 2 issues with the bridge surely ?  or are you saying you dont use that so its irrelevant ?
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72410
    edited January 2014
    bertie said:
    but then the "neck" in the midldle would cause pos 2 issues with the bridge surely ?  or are you saying you dont use that so its irrelevant ?
    The whole point is to get rid of the bridge/middle setting :). The only time I ever use it is with a lot of distortion, where I need hum cancelling and where the dirt covers the actual tone enough that I can stand it… although I still have to roll the tone control down a bit.

What I really want - and which is easy with a Superswitch, and so is frustrating that the Aria can't take one (and I'm not going to hack it!) - is:

1 - neck
    2 - neck & middle in parallel
    3 - middle
    4 - neck & bridge in parallel
    5 - bridge & middle in series

That would be quite versatile.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    Although it hasn't been mentioned yet, a gibson 355 with the variotone contol gives an incredible range of tones if you just sit with a guitat and amp and gpo through all the permutations. In a live evornment it doesn't seem to work out that way, and very few players seem to use all the tones available from the Variotone unit (thin 'Strat tones are easily found).