Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your best ever lesson

What's Hot
Could be guitar / music related or something entirely different like using a power tool.  Something that stuck with you and became part of you.

Mine was to anticipate nothing, in other words to expect the unexpected.

In second level school my friend and I were paired to do research as part of our Physics lesson.  We read up everything we could about it and produced papers detailing our findings.  From reading the books in the library, I was very sure that the result would be as I predicted.  My companion was not so sure so we conducted an experiment to prove it one way or the other.  Well I couldn't have been more wrong!  To confirm our findings, we redid the experiment with the same results.

Conclusion and lesson learnt: always anticipate nothing, and expect the unexpected.

What was/is your best ever lesson.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10708
    When I learned about super locrian over the dominant. It induced a whole new spurt of creativity from me. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Best lesson was at school.
    Our science teacher wanted to teach us a little chemistry and some physics.
    So he got a trolley and cylinder of Hydrogen and a cylinder of Oxygen pointed the nossels together and ignighted 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In recent years, deciding that I would do something special for my 60th birthday - no previous experience, but booked myself on to one of Mark Bailey's Build Your Own Guitar Courses. I've since made 3 guitars with him, and they're all really good instruments.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited September 2016
    I went to a "How to Make a Ridiculous Point With Subtlety" class in Ireland in 1913. It was excellent and I learned a great deal. A bunch of dudes went to "Imaginary Physics for Future Embarrassing Digs" next door which apparently went pretty well too.

Out of interest, Rocker, what was the experiment you guys did?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4316
    edited September 2016
    When I was about 12 I was in the bath. I think my hand rubbed against my bits. I thought... That felt nice. So I rubbed it a bit more. A few minutes later and... Wow. That day I learned what a wank was. 

I think most of us will agree it's an important lesson to learn. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't marry a lesbian.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28524
    Rocker said:

What was/is your best ever lesson.
    How to conduct testing sessions to minimise the effects of expectation and confirmation bias.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4987
    You might need to brush up on your lesson @Sporky, you appear to be biased and confrontational about almost every post I write. Learn to let it go my friend....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11319
    Fight the battles you can win at a time that you can win them.
  • Don't eat yellow snow. 
    When going on a blind date, if her name is James, put 2 and 2 together. 
    When your wife says do what you want, under NO circumstances do what you want!

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28524
    Rocker said:
    You might need to brush up on your lesson @Sporky, you appear to be biased and confrontational about almost every post I write.
    You asked a question, I answered it. Learning to conduct valid tests and shootouts has formed a significant part of my career - turns out I'm pretty good at it - and has informed my life in wider ways too. In fact it's not far off what you said was your most important lesson, so I can't understand why you're upset. I'd have thought you'd like the parallel - no need for hostility.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • How to post photo bucket photos onto a thread here.  ;)

More seriously:
    Don't be a dick. Especially to people like cleaners, janitors and other support staff: they can make your life easier... Or miserable in SO many different ways. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    To not judge people on their money 

I worked in the bank for a few years, and I saw millionaires in jeans and a t-shirt. Or people wearing the best everything and looking perfect whilst paying off their 8k credit card bill 

Also, money doesn't make people dicks and bring rich doesn't mean you don't have problems. I know very happy skint people and very unhappy rich people. Snobby dick skint people and worldly generous rich people 

Money doesn't always change a person. 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1307
    Since there is an apt cliche:  "don't judge a book by its cover".  

Also, stress and nerves wear off with practice.  Took me far too long to figure that one out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Troy Grady's picking videos.  When I saw them it was like everything about alternate picking clicked together.  
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24400
    Never, ever pull the HT lead out of the distributor of a running engine.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Specifically for work:

You can think what you like
    Say some of what you think
    But never write anything down....

or words to that effect by my Taid (granddad)

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• When I was supervising offenders there was an old hand who said when you close a case file always write 'this person will reoffend'  on it as you will be 100% right if a file needs to be re opened. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Don't marry a lesbian.
    ... Unless you are a lesbian
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Driving a 38 Tonne DAF 3300 and a tandem axle, steel sprung trailer to Italy and back again with a full load both ways up and down the old switchback roads to the tunnel at Mont Blanc in the mid 90's.