Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dual Overdrive Pedals

What's Hot
I have a slightly unhealthy obsession with dual overdrives.

During my (admittedly short) career in pedal buying, I've had the TC Nova Drive, Jetter Jet Drive and the Carpe Diem.

I'm still not 100% happy with any of these though.

So, what's your favourite dual overdrive? Anything I should check out?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    TRex Moller </predictable>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Okko diablo
    Double hotcake

Or just get 2 good singles ;-)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Check out the Foxrox ZIM.

It's not remotely "flavour of the month", but it is about the most flexible dual overdrive anybody's made to date. Built like a tank, sounds great. It has independent inputs and outputs for each channel, so you can use it effectively as two totally separate pedals that share a box if you want to, or else just ignore the extra sockets and run it like all the other two-channel cascading ODs out there. Channel B has a very flexible EQ function that uses a static phase shifter to cut and boost different frequencies in a way that simulates what can be done in the studio with dual mics, so you can get some sounds that are reminiscent of Led Zep's studio albums. Loads of tonal variation.

As if that wasn't enough, the pedal is built on multiple PCBs, with all the power and EQ stuff on one board, and the distortion-related stuff on separate ones that can be removed and replaced with any of a whole range of different flavoured dirts- OD, distortion, fuzz, octave fuzz, clean boost...

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/ZIM.html

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    Boss Dual Overdrive, of course.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• Or just get 2 good singles ;-)
    As much as I like my ZIM, I have to say that this seems like a much simpler way to get exactly what you want.

• ICBM said:

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Jeckl an Hyde V3
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    VSXO
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72376
    ICBM said:
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    No, that's the Hyper Fuzz.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Visual Sound stuff is nice, they've got several dual pedals.
  • Two good shouts here;

1.) The vastly underrated T Rex Moller - can be bought cheap

2.) Okko Diablo - one of the best I used live
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6069
    ICBM said:

I love the Boss SD-2, easily my favourite Boss drive pedal. The light side does a beautiful sparkly drive crunch sound while the heavy side is a monster. One of Boss' overlooked gems.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Proco Deucetone Rate :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312
    I agree with Mr Bob - the ZIM is a masterpiece; beautifully built, really well designed and very flexible without lacking character.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • There is one I really like, but the person that made it is a shithead. So I shall never tell anyone what it is.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • There are a few dual versions done by T Rex so including a Mudhoney  2. 
    Twin Stomp do a dual OD and a boost+ OD. 
    Z Vex do a few,  the Box of Rock being the most ubiquitous. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • How about the AMT SS11a - its a valve based preamp pedal with 3 channels?

1) Clean with its own EQ, level and gain

2) Crunch channel with its own EQ, level and gain

3) Lead setting which shares the EQ of the crunch, but has its own level and gain

• There are a few dual versions done by T Rex so including a Mudhoney  2. 
    Twin Stomp do a dual OD and a boost+ OD. 
    Z Vex do a few,  the Box of Rock being the most ubiquitous. 
    I wonder how strict the OP is being- to me, an OD and boost pedal (Box of Rock, Fulldrive etc) isn't the same thing as a proper dual overdrive like the ZIM or the Deucetone RAT that really is two complete pedals in one box...

• Sporky said:
    I agree with Mr Bob - the ZIM is a masterpiece; beautifully built, really well designed and very flexible without lacking character.
    I agree with Dr. Sporkenstein, only he said in one line what it took me two paragraphs to say.

...and he probably understood what was going on inside. I just liked the little stripey things on that lovely green PCB.

• I've made a few dual Centaur clones for friends and acquaintances, and I think this is where the Centaur comes alive. I should probably build one for myself.
     Stacking three together results in a surprisingly good metal sound.
     Although I have yet to try one myself, I thought the demos of the Møller sounded really good.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....