Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Dual Overdrive Pedals

What's Hot

Comments

• If both halves have to be OD rather than OD+boost that shortens the list a bit. If he wants to be able to cascade the ODs then that shortens the list a bit more. And so on.  It's not a very specific question. Hence the answers will accumulate to a list of every dual OD on the market. 

There are a few dual versions done by T Rex so including a Mudhoney  2. 
    Twin Stomp do a dual OD and a boost+ OD. 
    Z Vex do a few,  the Box of Rock being the most ubiquitous. 
    I wonder how strict the OP is being- to me, an OD and boost pedal (Box of Rock, Fulldrive etc) isn't the same thing as a proper dual overdrive like the ZIM or the Deucetone RAT that really is two complete pedals in one box...

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28312

Sporky said:
    I agree with Mr Bob - the ZIM is a masterpiece; beautifully built, really well designed and very flexible without lacking character.
    I agree with Dr. Sporkenstein, only he said in one line what it took me two paragraphs to say.

...and he probably understood what was going on inside. I just liked the little stripey things on that lovely green PCB.
    I think we each provided useful information.

I have an inkling of most of the insides. The Foxrox stuff is interestin in that it's actually well engineered, unlike most pedals. Lots of protection for the sensitive bits of the circuits in particular, and the drop-in cards are brilliant - it's a more complex thing to do well than I suspect most people appreciate.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I've made a few dual Centaur clones for friends and acquaintances, and I think this is where the Centaur comes alive. I should probably build one for myself.
     Stacking three together results in a surprisingly good metal sound.

TGP approved.
    If both halves have to be OD rather than OD+boost that shortens the list a bit. If he wants to be able to cascade the ODs then that shortens the list a bit more. And so on.  It's not a very specific question. Hence the answers will accumulate to a list of every dual OD on the market. 
    Yep. I'm assuming from the list of previous pedals that he's after the "full monty"- two actual overdrives that can be cascaded or used separately, since that what the JetDrive, Carpe Diem and Nova Drive all do, but it is an assumption...

What say you, @colourofsound ?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• colourofsoundcolourofsound Frets: 395
    edited September 2016
    Crikey, that's a lot of replies in such a short time! I'm not in a Youtube-able position currently so I can't check out any of these beauties as yet.

Yes, two separate overdrives was what I was referring to - although the Carpe Diem is strictly speaking an OD+Boost, with a flick-switch to hot rod mode so not strictly foot switchable as a dual overdrive.

I am interested in the Moller though - that TPS episode where they compare it to the KoT makes it a very compelling buy.

Whilst I agree that 2 separate pedals is the ideal way to get exactly what you want, often dual drives are specially tuned to stack well with each other. The Jet Drive's selling point is such, Jetter makes a big deal about it in their copy.

The true holy grail is a drive that you flip flop between as well as stack. The Nova Drive is the only one I've ever come across that does this - but it's noisy as hell and the high gain side isn't particularly nice.

So if you want me to narrow it down, lets go with this:

• Small(ish) footprint
    • Two separate drives
    • Ability to flip-flop OR stack, so you can choose to have a 3rd channel by stacking or just two channels that swap - this one I'm not expecting is an option in the analog domain. The Nova Drive was digitally controlled but I think thats why it was noisey - the power was terrible.
    Thanks peeps, this has been very informative!

• @english_bob That ZIM looks fucking *crazy*. I imagine getting hold of them isn't easy.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited September 2016
    Two good shouts here;

1.) The vastly underrated T Rex Moller - can be bought cheap

29min in, TRex Moller A/B test with King of Tone

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • The blackstone mosfet does two seperate channels although they can't be cascaded. The smoothest least fizzy drive I've played. (I do go on about it alot)
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited September 2016
    @english_bob That ZIM looks fucking *crazy*. I imagine getting hold of them isn't easy.
    It's not difficult. There aren't any UK dealers so you have to order via the Foxrox website. You can pay with PayPal and it'll arrive within a few weeks. I don't think there's a waiting list or anything.  You might have to pay import duties. The significant downside is that you won't be able to try before you buy. 

I think @Sporky is selling his, having moved to something all-sing-y,  all dance-y (Helix?)

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    edited September 2016
    If the flip-flop thing is a big selling point for you, have a look at the Rodenberg GAS-828.  It's very firmly in the Tubescreamer camp (which may or may not be your bag) but it has some really cool footswitching options.  http://www.rodenberg-amplification.com/eng/gas828.htm

I am - lovely thing but the Helix works for me so no point having the ZIM sitting in a box unused.

I bought it direct; it was quick and painless as I knew there'd be import costs.
  • @english_bob has all the knowledge today.

@sporky how much? Pics/link etc
  • The Lunastone three stage rocket has dual overdrive plus a boost. I haven't played one, but it is worth checking out. No one has mentioned the xotic bb plus yet. It is probably more an overdrive and boost but deserves a mention regardles.

@sporky how much? Pics/link etc
    £188 posted - it is essentially as-new condition with the box and instructions. Clean Smile and Hot9 cards, which are light overdrive/boost and TS9 style respectively, but the filter control lets you really tweak the sounds.

http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/sale/Pedals/Small/ZIM A.JPG
    http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/sale/Pedals/Small/ZIM B.JPG

• @Sporky Cheers - I'll have a think and a research, not particularly flush at the moment and any money I do have needs to go towards a new speaker for my amp and then an analog delay! Sorry if this general post was misleading - I was garnering opinion rather than looking for something to buy.

I'll get some youtube videos up none the less ;)
    Absolutely fine. If I'd not gone Helix I'd keep it; I'm in no rush to get rid of it. :)
  • @Winny_Pooh That blackstone sounds pretty ace. Tiny too! Not cheap though.
  • I love my T-Rex Alberta, nice tone difference in each side and both have a fat switch. 

Its replaced my H and k tubeman . Which coincidently I'm going to list on here to trade
  • @moogie72 Nice. T-Rex have some great ODs. Thats a flip/flop circuit too...
  • @ThorpyFX Any plans for a dual overdrive from your stable? Pretty sure a Peacekeeper/Gunshot combo would be very popular.
  • @moogie72 Nice. T-Rex have some great ODs. Thats a flip/flop circuit too...
    Yes, would be even better if had a mix pot like the moller!

did have a Tc nova drive that stacked, God.....the noise! Wouldn't recommend at most levels!