Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Carpe Diem now available from Andertons - with a TPS reference in the advert

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    edited September 2016
    I don't doubt Dan's knowledge - but frankly the wordy, flowery bollocks descriptors he (and Mick) uses ruin it. Cut all that shite out and these vids would be 1) much more watchable and 2) shorter.

But hey - if we all liked the same things...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • @impmann - is your username a Wing Chun reference by the way?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    £420 for a wah.

That seems slightly pricey.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7811
    edited September 2016
    impmann said:
    I don't doubt Dan's knowledge - but frankly the wordy, flowery bollocks descriptors he (and Mick) uses ruin it. Cut all that shite out and these vids would be 1) much more watchable and shorter

They are the perfect lunch break length.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    @Adam_MD I could take mine apart for a butchers inside....
    @colourofsound that would be excellent.  I'm not looking to clone it just curious to see if it's jfet or opamp based.

impmann said:
    I don't doubt Dan's knowledge - but frankly the wordy, flowery bollocks descriptors he (and Mick) uses ruin it. Cut all that shite out and these vids would be 1) much more watchable and 2) shorter.

But hey - if we all liked the same things...
    I really like their videos and enjoy the craic between the pair of them.  I'd much rather watch tps than 99% of the bollocks on tv.  I agree that it won't be for everyone but thankfully it is for me :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the show because I am a pedal geek.

the incessant  hard shilling of Strymon and Analogman pedals and said units availability on the Gigrig website is merely an unrelated coincidence I'm sure.

anyhow I shall continue to tune in. 
    that would be Yip man?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    that would be Yip man?
    Indeed it would but close enough and the film was ip man so wasn't sure :-)
    that would be Yip man?
    he is a bit of a fan boy of the Hillman Imp

so he is the Impmann
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12671
    @impmann - is your username a Wing Chun reference by the way?
    that would be Yip man?
    he is a bit of a fan boy of the Hillman Imp

so he is the Impmann
    Yes, that's the origin. :-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I did have an outlandish story about you wanting to be the gimpman but due to previous stalking issues from Gassage you thought it best to avoid using that name again
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm tempted by the Carpe Diem. I read above that one owner doesn't find it that special or different sounding to other overdrives. Is there another pedal it is similar sounding to?

I'm always interested in overdrives that don't have too much compression, I like a nice sharp attack and get that from my JRAD Archer but would love another drive with more gain but retaining that fast attack.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30306
    Way Huge Fat Sandwich'll do that.
  • So I've been in chats with @Adam_MD and after a few pictures back and forth he tells me its a JFET style circuit similar to a Ramble FX Marvel Drive (but not a clone). Very good quality build, surface mounted parts and probably hand wired.

No, I won't share the pictures of its guts online; I'd rather keep my conscience clear on that.

@RandallFlagg I think it was me who said it wasn't special earlier on - the trouble is it really depends on your setup. it's certainly the nicest overdrive pedal I've heard, and it's unique in the way it applies gain. There is a certain something special to it that I can't put my finger on, but then I think there are quite a few overdrives that can claim that. The Blackstone Mosfet seems to have a certain something too as far as I can tell - chances are it's the FET sound that has a bit of an edge over the opamp/diode style circuits.

Something tells me they'll be a few coming in the classifieds soon so I'd pick one up just to satisfy your curiosity if nothing else.
    So I've been in chats with @Adam_MD and after a few pictures back and forth he tells me its a JFET style circuit similar to a Ramble FX Marvel Drive (but not a clone). Very good quality build, surface mounted parts and probably hand wired.

No, I won't share the pictures of its guts online; I'd rather keep my conscience clear on that.
    It looks to be very well made and uses smt resistors and jfets also through hole epcos box caps which make sense as they're also made in Brazil.

• @colourofsound one cannot clone a pedal from a gutshot, so share a pic?
  • @colourofsound one cannot clone a pedal from a gutshot, so share a pic?
  • Thought this may be of interest - perhaps they have been picking up a little on this issue. I think v good of them to acknowledge the issue and personally I find it v reassuring. @colourofsound : clearly my cyincism was misplace. Mea culpa.

http://www.thatpedalshow.com/partners
  • I wonder if you buy a pedal based on a TPS review from Andertons or Riff City and are having hassle with the store, will TPS help you with your case seeing as how you bought from one of said stores on their recommendations.