Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Pholcidae and other unpleasant Autumn house invaders

What's Hot
These hideous pholcidae 'daddy long legs' never used to be seen in our house until about 4-5 years ago. How did this vile creature come to exist on our shores?

We are now on a strict all windows shut before dusk routine now as it's giant house spider season and I cannot bear to look at them and could not sleep in the house knowing one was running about.

even with out strict window regime we seem to get a couple of big house spiders each year, last year one huge beast ran in through the open back door while Mrs Flagg was having a fag. It got hoovered up when we eventually caught it galloping around the lounge.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article8738109.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Daddy-long-legs-spider.jpg

http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/male-giant-house-spider-tegenaria-gigantea.17993/full

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• What do you think it's going to do to you?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You can't rationalise a phobia

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I like a few spiders around the house, keeps the other bugs down.

As above, what's the worse it's going to do? 

Moths annoy me so get scooped outside, bees I like so are lovingly guided outside, flies/wasps get exterminated-I'm speciesist.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I leave medium size spiders to do their work. My wife hates the webs, so they only thrive when she's away. 

The big hairy ones that look like they grew up in a tough neighbourhood, and carry a flick knife ... I get the Dyson out to deal with them...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • These hideous pholcidae 'daddy long legs' never used to be seen in our house until about 4-5 years ago. How did this vile creature come to exist on our shores?

We are now on a strict all windows shut before dusk routine now as it's giant house spider season and I cannot bear to look at them and could not sleep in the house knowing one was running about.

even with out strict window regime we seem to get a couple of big house spiders each year, last year one huge beast ran in through the open back door while Mrs Flagg was having a fag. It got hoovered up when we eventually caught it galloping around the lounge.

http://i1.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article8738109.ece/ALTERNATES/s615b/Daddy-long-legs-spider.jpg

http://arachnoboards.com/gallery/male-giant-house-spider-tegenaria-gigantea.17993/full

That's not a daddy long legs.   Fairly sure it's a harvest spider?.... Don't mind them as it goes, and I get loads in the KaBL workshop which gives me someone to talk to.   However, those big hairy bastards are dispatched fairly quickly in our house.
  • The Pholcids are harmless enough, and the house spiders look menacing but are also pretty harmless. I haven't got a problem with them, it's just the twatting wasps and flies I don't like.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506
    Global warming. Give it a few more years and we'll have dragonflies the size of helicopters again...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Generally, I'm terrified of spiders, but those pholcids don't really bother me, as they seem so insubstantial. Plus, I've seen them dispatch massive house spiders, which only endears them to me even more.
    We've done a perimeter spray with Acclaim and we're on the all windows closed before dark routine too.

Bastard spiders!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12395
    Put a glass over them, slide a card under and flick em out the window, don't kill them FFS,  The big hairy ones that run across the darkened living room floor at night put the shits up me but they are perfectly harmless

Eek!
    Image result for giant house spider

"OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit.
    It's the only way to be sure.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    I'm pretty sure Ive been bitten by spiders a couple of times since the spring. 

Woken up up in the morning with 2 little puncture marks on my foot with a shiny, itchy, non raised piece of skin around them. 

I guess it it could be mozzies, but I haven't had an identifiable bite from one of them for years. 

Last time I had the 2 marks next to each other, we found a monster house spider was living in the quilt at the end of our bed a day later. 

Anything too big gets put out of the house swiftly.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I like spiders. On holiday in Spain this summer, we came across the Spanish Funnel Web spider. Now they are big! Didn't know Spain had some whoppers. Big hairy things, and when you come near they rear up at you and do a pouncing stabbing motion to scare you off. Nothing like as dangerous as their Australian counterpart, but apparently the sting is painful.

I thought they were ace.

Image result for spanish funnel web spider

• Put a glass over them, slide a card under and flick em out the window, don't kill them FFS,  The big hairy ones that run across the darkened living room floor at night put the shits up me but they are perfectly harmless

Eek!

FFS that is disgusting. Nothing should have 8 eyes and 8 legs, it's an abomination and in legion with the devil

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Lying in bed last week, just about to nod off, I noticed a dark shape moving along the front of our chest of drawers. Opening my eyes properly I realised it was a spider (about the size of a 2p piece) just in time to see it disappear into my slightly-open underpants drawer.
    Being too knackered/lazy, I shrugged and rolled over. However, I now remove said pants gingerly and give them a damn good shake before putting them on!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I'm slowly getting better with spiders, but it is that time of year when the real leviathans come out. I've seen loads of little ones kicking around over the summer in my flat, so I know I'm in for it.

If they're medium-sized, I can do the glass/card thing. If they're too big they get battered with a shoe.
  • vizviz Frets: 10709
    edited September 2016

galloping around the lounge

Lol
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    Put a glass over them, slide a card under and flick em out the window, don't kill them FFS,  The big hairy ones that run across the darkened living room floor at night put the shits up me but they are perfectly harmless

Eek!

FFS that is disgusting. Nothing should have 8 eyes and 8 legs, it's an abomination and in legion with the devil
    6 eyes (.)(.)(.)(.)(.)(.)

not 8 :)

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72506

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    I was watching a big garden cross spider (UK's biggest species I think) catch a fly the other day. Amazing. Had it totally wrapped and immobilised in 10 seconds.
  • Why is it that until 2 years ago a Daddy Long Legs was the name given to the Crane Fly, but now its any insect / arachnid with long legs? I'm sure its the Americans again.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details