Mini Amps & Micro Amps

What's Hot
bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
edited September 2016 in Amps
What are some good mini  and micro amps? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Do you mean heads or combos?
    If heads, you can't do better than a ZVex Nano Head.
    Wonderful little thing. Perfect for recording.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sassafras said:
    I  mean like the Marshall MS-2 and the likes.  Solid state ones.  :-)
  • What's the VOX MINI3-G2CL like?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CF8DR14/

• I've had a first gen Roland Microcube for about 11 years now. 

I keep trying to find reasons to upgrade/ replace but it keeps on going and does enough to keep me happy.
  • I much preferred the DA5 to the Mini3. Still got my DA5, though shoehorned an 8" Weber Alnico into it.  Sounds great.  

I love the highgain settings, with vol up max, and gain set to minimum.  It give a great low volume 'edge of breakup' tone, with great pick dynamics. 

Very versatile little amp. Only downside, can't do reverb and delay simultaneously.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72495
    bingefeller said:

The Orange Micro Crush is better than the MS-2, I think because the cabinet is proper "wood" (MDF actually) rather than plastic. It's probably the best of the half-watt solid-state toy amps.

Which is also remarkable, considering that the Micro Terror is the Worst Amp In The History Of The World Ever...

I do also like my Vox Mini5 Rhythm, which to me sounds better than the Mini3 as well as having a built-in drummer :). I tried a couple of 'better' speakers as well, including a Weber 8", but it sounded better with the stock one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6092
    ICBM said:
    bingefeller said:

The Orange Micro Crush is better than the MS-2, I think because the cabinet is proper "wood" (MDF actually) rather than plastic. It's probably the best of the half-watt solid-state toy amps.
    Have to disagree with you there. Having used both units I found the MS-2 to sound much superior. I got lured into the Orange with its wooden case only to find a noisy, unpleasant sound when clean and a nasty overdrive accessed via a button iirc. The MS-2 otoh gave surprisingly pleasing tones, especially when the PP3 started to die when there was a window of about a week when it became a garage rock fuzz box type of thing. Perhaps I was unlucky in my particular Orange example, and they are practise devices so I shouldn't expect too much from them, but the MS-2 was a clear winner for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72495
    I've had both as well. I hated the MS-2 except when I fitted it with an extension speaker jack and ran it through a proper cabinet - horrible nasal honky sound by itself. The Orange sounded surprisingly decent - but I admit I've had two and I don't think the second one sounded as good as the first.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• What do you guys think of the Blackstar Fly 3?  I was having a look at it and it seems to use a strange power adapter, like one a computer laptop uses. 

I see Fender are making an EVH III Micro amp too.

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2933
    I've never heard one of those micro amps sound good. I think the speaker size really holds it back.

Ironically I think you're better off with a multifx and headphones. I'm still using my G3.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I love my little Fly; it gets more use around the house than any other amp I've got. I've not got the adapter for mine, but I've had it for over a year and not had to change the batteries yet. 
  • Bidley said:
    I've never heard one of those micro amps sound good. I think the speaker size really holds it back.

Ironically I think you're better off with a multifx and headphones. I'm still using my G3.

I have the G1XON, but just took a notion for a micro amp to arse about with.

simonk said:
    I love my little Fly; it gets more use around the house than any other amp I've got. I've not got the adapter for mine, but I've had it for over a year and not had to change the batteries yet. 

Yeah it seems to get good reviews on Amazon. 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Another plus one for the Blackstar Fly, the little marshalls are toy amps the Fly is a serious sounding beastie! Mine gets used every day.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2248
    Sassafras said:

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m202/csexton62/IMG_2318_zpsc1581182.jpg

It's cute as well

Never tried one but they do look cool as well as tiny.
  • Sassafras said:

Sassafras said:

Don't they need a cab?
    You're right but they look so dinky. I think they're about the size of a pedal.
  • Sassafras said:
    You're right but they look so dinky. I think they're about the size of a pedal.

what's the smallest cab you can get mate? 
  • I remember getting an MS2 when they came out. Pure shite. I cut out a cardboard Les Paul for my Action Man and set him infront of it. I'd hoped to make him a top hat and curly hair, but I was either so ending my time drinking or wanking in those days.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I remember getting an MS2 when they came out. Pure shite. I cut out a cardboard Les Paul for my Action Man and set him infront of it. I'd hoped to make him a top hat and curly hair, but I was either so ending my time drinking or wanking in those days.
    I lol'd!