Jail deniers

What's Hot

Wuht.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Wow, so we're getting thought police now!
  • I don't think jails exist either.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    Hey! He was on the Big Bang Theory
  • I haven't watched it as I'm at work but it's bill Nye the science guy! Love that man. Up there with degrass Tyson and Dawkins imo
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Mkjackary said:
    I haven't watched it as I'm at work but it's bill Nye the science guy! Love that man. Up there with degrass Tyson and Dawkins imo
    Hmm, not quite up there with those giants.

I love the guy, he's great and obviously an educated an clever man, but his real genius is being able to get complicated information across in a way that dumb dumbs like me can at least begin to understand.

He doesn't have the academic CV the other two have by a long way.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    lloyd said:
    Mkjackary said:
    I haven't watched it as I'm at work but it's bill Nye the science guy! Love that man. Up there with degrass Tyson and Dawkins imo
    Hmm, not quite up there with those giants.

I love the guy, he's great and obviously an educated an clever man, but his real genius is being able to get complicated information across in a way that dumb dumbs like me can at least begin to understand.

He doesn't have the academic CV the other two have by a long way.
    Agree.
    We need people like Nye and Brian Cox, who are good at popularising science but aren't necessarily moving scientific discovery forward.
    What they can do though is raise the overall level of science understanding amongst the rest of the population- which can only help society as a whole.
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    i think he is quite right....who is to say that in 40 years or so if it all starts getting seriously shit that the oil industry wont be in the dock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Can we put religious leaders in jail too?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    Confident idiocy is pretty dangerous but I'm not sure it should be criminal.

http://www.skepticalob.com/2016/09/dunning-kruger-nation-and-the-disparagement-of-expertise.html
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5282
    It could be argued that at some point it turned into wilfull neglect, tragically this time its our own eco system and there sure wont be a quick fix..

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    octatonic said:
    Confident idiocy is pretty dangerous but I'm not sure it should be criminal.

http://www.skepticalob.com/2016/09/dunning-kruger-nation-and-the-disparagement-of-expertise.html
    I'd go further - I'm sure it should not be criminal.
    mgaw said:
    It could be argued that at some point it turned into wilfull neglect, tragically this time its our own eco system and there sure wont be a quick fix..

Most people give more of a shit about the planet than they do themselves. I'd rather people focus on themselves - the planet is fine, and will be fine until the sun explodes.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited September 2016
    Drew_TNBD said:
    mgaw said:

Most people give more of a shit about the planet than they do themselves. I'd rather people focus on themselves - the planet is fine, and will be fine until the sun explodes.
    Okay, and the 90% decline in global fish stocks since 1950 is completely made up? The world is not fine, we're damaging it. Particularly through the oil and fishing industries. Half of the world's coral is now dead. 
    read into the work of Sylvia Earle, When she was born and growing up in the gulf of mexico, there was a single oil rig in the entire gulf. Now there are over four thousand. (Watch Mission Blue, on Netflix)

No one gives two fucks about the ocean, it will look the same whether it's dead or not at the surface... 
    Look at the tokyo fish market. Every year, the tuna get smaller. Every year they are younger. They are being caught before reaching sexual maturity and we are driving the fish to extinction. There are places where the fishing industry began when they could vacuum the fish straight out of the water. Now those places are dead and only beginning to recover. 

Climate change is real, Overfishing is real, Deforestation is real. People will continue to deny it and ignore it as long as doing so is more convenient than paying attention to it. 

The rock on which we live will survive. It's us, and everything else that live on it's surface that won't. 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom

The rock on which we live will survive. It's us, and everything else that live on it's surface that won't. 

Aye, and I don't have a problem with that.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Climate change, deforestation and overfishing is very real.

Everyone wants something done about it but without going back to the dark ages, it's not possible to really do anything about it, we all need to use the oil to live our daily lives, I barely eat fish, unless it's caught off a rod by my mates and not sure I add to the deforestation of the Amazon as I don't eat palm oil products (or very little).

There are very few people that matter that deny climate change but realistically, what the fuck can be done to slow it down dramatically? 

Billions of of people rely on oil to eat-to run the machines needed and natural gas to fertilise the crops.

Renewable energy, with the best will in the world isn't there yet-if it was, we'd be using it, there's no conspiracy, the oil companies would be the only ones that have the money and infrastructure to facilitate te global use of them.

The real answer is that we're stuck in this situation for the time being and are working on ways to reduce it.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:

And what if we truly are alone in the universe? I doubt it, but the lack of evidence otherwise suggests that this may be the case. 
    If we are the only planet in the entirety of existence that harbours life, and one single species drives it all the extinction. Then the human race is the single most evil entity imaginable. 
    I'd rather not imagine that that is the legacy that will be left by humans. People are too selfish already, how you could think to encourage them to be more so is beyond me.  
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

And what if we truly are alone in the universe? I doubt it, but the lack of evidence otherwise suggests that this may be the case.
    If we are the only planet in the entirety of existence that harbours life, and one single species drives it all the extinction. Then the human race is the single most evil entity imaginable. 
    I'd rather not imagine that that is the legacy that will be left by humans. People are too selfish already, how you could think to encourage them to be more so is beyond me.  
    Oh save me your faux fucking outrage and sympathy please. Go have a fap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Hertz32 said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Oh save me your faux fucking outrage and sympathy please. Go have a fap.
    lol
    'Awibble'
    edited September 2016
    Back on topic - Jailing people for their beliefs is stupid. Jailing them because they harm others because they act on them isn't. 
    If you harm the planet because you don't believe you can, your actions should have consequences. 
    'Awibble'
    Hertz32 said:
    Back on topic - Jailing people for their beliefs is stupid. Jailing them because they harm others because they act on them isn't. 
    If you harm the planet because you don't believe you can, your actions should have consequences. 
    You should do at least 4 months for killing all our brain cells over the last few years then. Not my fault you didn't anticipate that your views on Bigsby's would cause twelve of us to have mild strokes.

... seriously dude.... stop being a proto-typical millenial.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom