SG improvements

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27558
    Try winding the pups down a mm or so from the strings first - the volume will drop but the tone 'headroom' should improve dramatically.  Do the bridge first, then balance the neck to get similar volume.

Failing that, I put Tonerider Alnico Classic IV's in this build of mine (below) in preference to Gibsons - they sound great...warm but clear.

Nice guitar and great pic @Andyjr1515

So why didn't you enter that into the "guitar photo of 2013" compo??  :)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3968
    Bare Knuckle Riff Raffs are based on 60s/SG era PAFS. That's what I'd like to try when I finally get another SG.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    TBH, I couldn't get a clean sound I truly liked out of the original pickups... too middly/hot for me. The distortion tone was OK, but it was a modern tone - I wanted closer to the Paul Weller SG tone and the original pickups didn't get anywhere near that. Thats why they went in favour of Classic 57s... and I couldn't be happier with the sound of it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Well, i've had a close look at the pickups and adjusted them both to about 1/8 of an inch from the strings - the bridge pup was actually very low so i've had to move that closer to the strings.
    Still sounds quite muddy though to my ears.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Well, i've had a close look at the pickups and adjusted them both to about 1/8 of an inch from the strings - the bridge pup was actually very low so i've had to move that closer to the strings.
    Still sounds quite muddy though to my ears.
    Probably a p/up change, then.  

I have to say, the first Gibson I ever had was a LP Studio with the 490's in them and they were as muddy as hell.  I was well frustrated about the sound.  I changed them for Burstbucker Pros (it was the very start of my modding and building antics since) which were much better, but there are cheaper alternatives just as good.  Pretty good advice on options from the folk above, I would say 
    :)
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    TTony said:
    Try winding the pups down a mm or so from the strings first - the volume will drop but the tone 'headroom' should improve dramatically.  Do the bridge first, then balance the neck to get similar volume.

Failing that, I put Tonerider Alnico Classic IV's in this build of mine (below) in preference to Gibsons - they sound great...warm but clear.

Nice guitar and great pic @Andyjr1515

So why didn't you enter that into the "guitar photo of 2013" compo??  :)
    I DID  :))  - but from another angle...clearly too arty farty  ;)