Rewiring your pedalboard - just kill me now

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
how am I so bad at this?

I'm always short a cable, or a cable is too short, for the 'perfect' new idea. 

And my my back hurts when I kneel down over it for so long.

if it doesn't all work first time I'm tracking down a Boss ME-5
Red ones are better. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72563
    That's one of the reasons I'm thinking of buying an old GT-5 - because you can change the FX order just by reprogramming it. The fact that it contains more different effects than I actually own but will easily fit in my smaller pedal case is a bonus.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    Ah, one of life's pleasures is re-wiring a pedalboard. Although my wife does often say I swear a lot for somthing I supposedly enjoy so much!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    Pick it up off the floor and put it on a table.
    That will at least sort out the back pain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I hate it too . Some people really enjoy stuff like that
    i just find it a chore
    ive for to rewire my whole studio soon:(
  • I really enjoy it. Sadly, I'm not an indecisive bastard so only get to do it every 3 or 4 years.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4044
    Sassafras said:
    Pick it up off the floor and put it on a table.
    That will at least sort out the back pain.
    This! 
    I used to change my guitar strings by basically sitting down and holding the neck of the guitar between my knees while I fiddled and faffed and swore at the whole horrible process...
    And one day I thought... I could put that guitar on a bench.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    I enjoy it, but I make all my own cables so don't have the problems any more that you have come across with cable length.

If you REALLY hate it there are people out there that will make and wire the whole board for you.

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7541
    For a moment there I thought I was headed to eBay to fire up an old Boss ME search... but a bit of jiggling cables got it sorted.

I think I need to go underneath and measure and make custom length cables (I've got DIY cables but most are leftovers from previous boards so not all spot on so most not ideally routed)

The Flux Drive and the Carpe Diem need Velcroing down - CD is pulled forward so I can use the boost button.

The 2 3-way switches will do patch up/down/activate once I configure the H9s accordingly - cos I like playing around with different delays and mods on the same core sound. Some configurations will get saved to G2 selections obv. 

Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    (untidy cables will get shoved out of sight)
    Red ones are better. 
  • I've grown to love it. Think it comes from doing it so often!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4601
    edited September 2016
    I did this just last weekend. Worked first time for me. I love doing it but not planning on having to do it again for a while. Your's looks lovely btw
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8540
    TimmyO said:
    For a moment there I thought I was headed to eBay to fire up an old Boss ME search... but a bit of jiggling cables got it sorted.

I think I need to go underneath and measure and make custom length cables (I've got DIY cables but most are leftovers from previous boards so not all spot on so most not ideally routed)

The Flux Drive and the Carpe Diem need Velcroing down - CD is pulled forward so I can use the boost button.

The 2 3-way switches will do patch up/down/activate once I configure the H9s accordingly - cos I like playing around with different delays and mods on the same core sound. Some configurations will get saved to G2 selections obv. 

I reackon that board will sound ever so slightly better than an ME5 so well done for persevering!
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    I've accumulated a drawerful of patch cables of varying lengths.
    Not only that but most of them work. :)
  • I enjoy it too. Good job really; there's 764 miles of Lava cable underneath the hood on mine. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think what I need to do is buy a long length of Tightrope cable, make up a whole bunch of correct/longer cable pairs, tie-wrap then in to pairs and label each end, then sit down and route it all properly. 

Thing is, last time I did a rejig it was the Midi cables that caused limitations. There's always something... 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:

Thing is, last time I did a rejig it was the Midi cables that caused limitations. There's always something... 

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/F3BD3084-81D2-45BF-928F-EBF0C4D07445.jpg
    TimmyO said:

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff193/guitarsforminnaars/F3BD3084-81D2-45BF-928F-EBF0C4D07445.jpg
    Genius. That would help lots!
    Red ones are better. 
  • Right angle midi cables and a Thru box 
  • I do like the challenge, but my latest one went a bit far in that direction. I mean...it has a tuner, a phaser, a boost, a delay (Eventide Timefactor), a MIDI relay box and a MIDI controller on it.

Because of issues caused by various units, it actually has three bloody power supplies. As well as two MIDI cables, a daisy chain power connector, several other power connectors, far more cable ties than I'd like, a significant excess of velcro and an investment of about two hours of swearing and general disappointment..
    <space for hire>
  • I do like the challenge, but my latest one went a bit far in that direction. I mean...it has a tuner, a phaser, a boost, a delay (Eventide Timefactor), a MIDI relay box and a MIDI controller on it.

Because of issues caused by various units, it actually has three bloody power supplies. As well as two MIDI cables, a daisy chain power connector, several other power connectors, far more cable ties than I'd like, a significant excess of velcro and an investment of about two hours of swearing and general disappointment..
    That can all be resolved though, surely? My board runs off one plug.