Rewiring your pedalboard - just kill me now

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I do like the challenge, but my latest one went a bit far in that direction. I mean...it has a tuner, a phaser, a boost, a delay (Eventide Timefactor), a MIDI relay box and a MIDI controller on it.

Because of issues caused by various units, it actually has three bloody power supplies. As well as two MIDI cables, a daisy chain power connector, several other power connectors, far more cable ties than I'd like, a significant excess of velcro and an investment of about two hours of swearing and general disappointment..
    welcome to my world.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The last time I rewired my board, I got a massive drop in volume compared to direct into amp. 

Have pulled it all apart again, and testing by adding one pedal at a time. Currently back up to 12 pedals wired up, and working well..... Except for reverb...my 5E3 hates my valve reverb tank, and my reverb pedal. Throws a hissy fit when I attempt to add them in. My 65 Amps Lil Elvis is better behaved....
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28658
    D'you know how long it takes to swap pedals around in a Helix?

Seconds.

;)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Do you know how much line 6 products are worth 10'years after release?

i can pickup up a mint Flextone 3 for £50.  

M ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Resale isn't rock n roll. :p

It's accountancy. B)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26735
    edited September 2016
    I do like the challenge, but my latest one went a bit far in that direction. I mean...it has a tuner, a phaser, a boost, a delay (Eventide Timefactor), a MIDI relay box and a MIDI controller on it.

Because of issues caused by various units, it actually has three bloody power supplies. As well as two MIDI cables, a daisy chain power connector, several other power connectors, far more cable ties than I'd like, a significant excess of velcro and an investment of about two hours of swearing and general disappointment..
    That can all be resolved though, surely? My board runs off one plug. 
    I've tried an isolated supply - without spending a fortune, I can't get one which has enough juice to power the Eventide, and the Peak MIDI controller seems to cause massive noise whether isolated or not. I guess it depends on whether the supply is transformer-isolated or otherwise; three supplies is fine, though, given that it's about £100 cheaper than a supply which fulfils all the criteria.
    <space for hire>
  • Ah yes, it was never going to be cheap to resolve 
  • Indeed. Ultimately, it's also a vastly better solution than the rack which it replaces. An extra couple of mains plugs is still vastly more convenient than the rack that the board replaces :)
    <space for hire>
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7543
    I've got more money sunk in to power supply/isolation/voltage switching than many people have on their entire boards #isthereanembarrassedsmiley?
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyO said:
    I've got more money sunk in to power supply/isolation/voltage switching than many people have on their entire boards #isthereanembarrassedsmiley?
    is there anything on your board that cant be powered by an eventide powerfactor?

I am going to guess you have gone gigrig?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I did get close to going for a Powerfactor 2 at one point
    Red ones are better. 
  • Sporky said:

It's accountancy. B)
    Guitar direct into hot amp, that's rock n' roll
    Sporky said:

It's accountancy. B)
    Yes but we can't all commit to the Rock and roll lifestyle the way you have Sporky :-) 
    Red ones are better. 
    TimmyO said:
    Sporky said:

It's accountancy. B)
    Yes but we can't all commit to the Rock and roll lifestyle the way you have Sporky :-) 
    :dissapointed:

It's all thanks to my dear departed dad's sound financial advice.

He was an accountant.