Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Today is the day...

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Congrats Drew .. saw you pic on FB ... :-)

Hope you wet the babies head ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Fretwired said:
    Congrats Drew .. saw you pic on FB ... :-)

Hope you wet the babies head ..
    Not drinking for a bit at the moment, so no!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Congrats and very cute.

I'm 4 months into this fatherhood thing, all I can offer is that everyone lies to you, trust nobody. "Just get through the first 6 weeks" they said. Wrong. Then it's "the first 3 months are the worst" wrong again. Only now, 4 months in do people start revealing the truth "the whole of the first year is a shitter".

Gonna be some sleepless nights for sure but boy is it worth it.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    dindude said:
    Congrats and very cute.

I'm 4 months into this fatherhood thing, all I can offer is that everyone lies to you, trust nobody. "Just get through the first 6 weeks" they said. Wrong. Then it's "the first 3 months are the worst" wrong again. Only now, 4 months in do people start revealing the truth "the whole of the first year is a shitter".

You wait till teething starts.... 

my second is also 4 months, and it's the bit I am dreading 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Mine is 2 and a bit, getting a bit better now all teeth are in 

Honestly though, people love to share horror stories... I found it easier than everyone said 

The every day stuff doesn't make for good conversation 
    Yeah not looking forward to the teething bit. Obviously can't wait until my secret patriarchal powers kick in!
    Come on then.. Guitary name suggestions for a girl.. Best I've got is Laney ...
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Michaela - not guitary I know, but the name will remind you of your fav forumite Michael Byron Krunk aka Lixarto.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    :lol: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    dindude said:
    Congrats and very cute.

Nah, I don't buy that at all.

Over the first 6 months:
    • The mother recovers from any birth / caesarian injuries
    • You learn what the fuck you are doing and stop being in a panic all the time
    • The baby stops shitting about 20 times a day
    • and has fewer bigger feeds
    • and has fewer bigger sleeps 
    • and starts eating solids rather than needing milk all the time
    And once they get past that point they rapidly start giving feedback and responding to you which makes the whole thing far more rewarding. 

About 9-18 months is especially great as they really start to be able to do a lot of stuff and get really fun. Past that point they are still a hoot, but get incredibly naughty (if that's the right term) while lacking the mental capacity to be reasoned with (which I think is where the terrible twos thing comes from).

The main thing is that you need to show them who's boss regarding sleeping. I know too many people with three year olds who are getting woken up five times a night. Both of mine have done 12 hours straight sleep a night since they were 1, but you have to be prepared to let them cry until they learn to self soothe (which is horrible). 

Everybody gets het up about it, but the whole baby thing is over incredibly quickly. My youngest isn't two for a couple of months yet and he's talking in sentences and eating dinner with cutlery. Within a few months he should be out of nappies. My eldest is three and a half and she's at nursery and takes herself to the toilet etc. The whole thing flashes by. 

• Drew_TNBD said:
    Offset or Slapback. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26626
    edited September 2016
    And once they get past that point they rapidly start giving feedback and responding to you which makes the whole thing far more rewarding

Remind me to check back with you once yours have hit the teenage years, just to see how that's working out for you ;)

@Drew_TNBD - slept yet?
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17632
    tFB Trader
    And once they get past that point they rapidly start giving feedback and responding to you which makes the whole thing far more rewarding

Remind me to check back with you once yours have hit the teenage years, just to see how that's working out for you ;)

@Drew_TNBD - slept yet?
    Refer back to the point where I mentioned that they get to be a pain in the arse again at 18 months :)

@Drew_TNBD - slept yet?
    Yeah actually, had about four hours earlier. Wife has been dozing on and off.
  • Sleep wise I was ok until I went back to work. I used to do the weekend feeds and get ups but then had to do them all for six months. Just get used to being knackered. It's still ace tho. :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Just seent this, much congratulations to you all. What a great thing. A real voyage of discovery ahead of you mate. My only advice is - go with the flow. You'll hear all manner of advice come your way, but always remember people have babies in the middle of deserts and they do just fine. Enjoy it all.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Congratulations Drew and especially Mrs drew.

The best advice I can give is to pass on what I was told.
    'The first 20 years are the worst'.

My youngest is now 18 and the oldest 23, which has him doing what you did and I'm going to have to be a grandad in the new year! A grandad and theres no extra legover for that privilage.

I was a big doubter too when I learned I was to be a father, I was only 35 and not ready for the responsibility. In retrospect I wish it could have been earlier in my life.

I wish you all 'happy families'.

• Well played team Drew

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• SporkySporky Frets: 28370
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Carbon Copy?

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Lesley Pauline?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom