Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

band names - I hate having to choose them

What's Hot
Usual story new band gets together, has a few rehearsals and everyone seems happy with the other musicians and songs ideas.   Then you need to pick a band name and it goes round in circles until you don't care and just want it sorted,  but you do care or it would be a lot easier.      
Just have a mini rant that I hate the process of picking a name.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I'm sure there will be *some* suggestions along soon which will keep you going for another few rehearsals !

It's an awful part of being in a band.

The best names came about really easily and were often about mundane things or objects
    Best of luck.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    'Urethra Franklin' there you go. Done. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    Yes - simple is good but I missed out the part of the process where you have a couple of idea everyone likes and then you google and see that there are other bands using that name already and go back to square one. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • This topic, oh gad, the hours I have spent at online phrase randomisers finally to arrive at ....f all
    This topic, oh gad, the hours I have spent at online phrase randomisers finally to arrive at ....f all
    Oh yes -  I wonder if anyone has ever actually chosen a band name that way. 
  • It's the other way around for me..... I have a band name but no actual band.

Gentleman, I give you "Boscombe Beach Horse Tattoo".

• Kajagoogoogoogoo
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28533
    Narwhal Sex Party appeared in a thread a while back. Cracking band name there.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Barry Scott and the Clit Bang Band...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72506

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 'Seagull shit' in Black metal style writing obviously.
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    edited September 2016
    I always wanted to call a band Bertram Big Ears And The Zambezi Beat Boys 
    After missing out on auditioning for Mammoth back in the 80's, I tried to put a band together with chunky players so I could call the band Fatso 
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Absolutely despise the process. Won't be doing it again.
  • Don't think too much about it. No-one else will. They are just words. Eg, no-one visualises insects when they think of the beatles. And no-one cares what a foo-fighter is. 

I think what is most important thesedays is that when you google it, it is unique and doesn't bring up something else.

• Led Pencil

The Flu

Bobs Ya Uncle

Tagine and the Hot Pot

• Don't think too much about it. No-one else will. They are just words. Eg, no-one visualises insects when they think of the beatles. And no-one cares what a foo-fighter is. 
    I actually did google what a Foo Fighter was in the past week, though not because of the awful band but because it came up in an X Files episode :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9711
    edited September 2016
    Don't think too much about it. No-one else will. They are just words. Eg, no-one visualises insects when they think of the beatles. And no-one cares what a foo-fighter is?

But I do think sometimes that the band name gives a hint as to what to expect - for instance if your local pub was hosting a band called Road Dogs, Crying Shame, or Smokey Joe's then you could probably make a half-decent stab as to what kind of music they'd be playing.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    I agree that once you're out there, it soon gets associated with the music but within reason and you do have to be comfortable with the name. 

I was more commenting on the frustration of the process than wanting suggestions but if anyone wants to chip in - it's a bluesy, funky rock original rock band  (and the singer would like to use term "Blackwater"  something  e.g. Blackwater Rain)