Is anyone into bodybuilding? I need some practical help?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Be careful with your arse. Go for quantity rather than weight, especially when it comes to the compound lifts. Bodyweight squats can get you quite far.

I stopped the gym because I can't afford it and I have a shoulder impingement that's been playing up, so I'm just getting in worse shape lately. Although my body fat is going down through not eating enough. Do you have low testosterone? Get prescribed a proper treatment rather than supplementing. Just make sure you have a diet in sufficient protein and you won't need all those amino acids, especially if you eat meat, particularly chicken and oily fish. 
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Gassage said:
    Mark- google matt Lovell - call him and tell him we're friends. He will help - England Rugby Dietician.
    Wow thank you very much ! I will do.
    Gassage said:
    Re weights- get therabands and use your body weight.
    Again i will look at that, cheers.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I've had success with one of these...piece of piss to use. Only really useful for upper body though...

https://www.bodyblade.com/

Hmmmm smells of snake oil to me. :#
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks for all your replies, i will sit down with a notepad tomorrow and try to work out some kind of plan. I'm really grateful - thanks.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    One piece of advice if give is to take it very slowly to begin with-use tiny weight-baked beans cans are fine to begin with and get the technique right-it's so important not just for maximising muscle use, but for avoiding injury, especially in the future when you're onto heavier weights.

Im just back in the gym after a long lay off (3 weeks in) and I'm doing very small weights, few sets and running just enough to get out of breath-I'm taking it easy to avoid injuries (you'll Probabaly be stronger in your muscles than tendons and can really do yourself some harm, I know from experience, by going too heavy too soon) and so that I don't knacker myself to the point I'm dreading going back, so far so good and my run distances, weight lifted and amount of exercises have all increased steadily.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    Drew_TNBD said:
    I've had success with one of these...piece of piss to use. Only really useful for upper body though...

https://www.bodyblade.com/

Hmmmm smells of snake oil to me. :#
    Just watched a video with the creator talking about the product.
    Looks like bullshit pseudoscience, sounds like bullshit pseudoscience too.

• I shall strangle the fook out of both of you doubting bastids with my vice like grip and uncanny upper body strength...then you'll be bleedin sorry...

That bloke in the video is 124 I'll have you know.

I'm putting it back in the box...under the the fookin stairs it's going... you've fookin spoilt it for me...

Wrong 'uns, the pair of yer...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33802
    I shall strangle the fook out of both of you doubting bastids with my vice like grip and uncanny upper body strength...then you'll be bleedin sorry...

I'm putting it back in the box...under the the fookin stairs it's going... you've fookin spoilt it for me...

Surely you can use it as a longbow and shoot welshmen from the top of Nottingham cathedral?
  • octatonic said:
    I shall strangle the fook out of both of you doubting bastids with my vice like grip and uncanny upper body strength...then you'll be bleedin sorry...

Surely you can use it as a longbow and shoot welshmen from the top of Nottingham cathedral?
    What, from fuckin Salford? How good a bleedin shot do you think I am? 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My body is a temple.

The Temple of Doom is a temple.........

As your health isn't great, I'd (from experience) recommend sorting your diet first. Remember eating poor food won't help. And portion sizes. Also (I know I'm a nag on this) quitting smoking will have a lot of benefits for you (again experience).

Once they're sorted, take yourself for a long walk everyday. Sitting around doesn't help with anything health wise.

Have a daily routine, so say up at 7, breakfast at 7-30, walk 8-9 etc, do this every day.

Then once you have built up a little strength, then start looking at a little weight training.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    NHS have offered me a cancellation appointment for surgery next Thursday 13th October.
    I've accepted it and i'm in from Thursday to Sunday next week.

I have full gym membership at the local 'Pure Gym' which includes the swimming pool down the road, starting 1st January 2017. My Doctor and even my Surgeon agree that i *should* be ok to train by then, albeit starting off gently, walking there not running and i will have to have a personal trainer (Doctors orders) who knows what i've had done and how i need to progress etc.

I didn't buy any weights, i would rather do this properly and someone has, possibly without them knowing it, given me the biggest shot of determination my life has ever seen. I seem to have been called a skit / name i've never heard before but made me look at myself with the disgust that only someone who's truly had enough can feel. It's also years since i was called a name based on how i look, so that kind of woke me up too.

I'm *Really* looking forward to every bead of sweat on the way to burying that skit and making mid 40's look better than it should.

It all starts on Thursday.
    This is the most confident i'm going to be for a while. 
    If i'm honest i'm terrified.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4557
    All the best my friend. Think strong, be strong.
    DesVegas said:
    All the best my friend. Think strong, be strong.
    Thanks

I will try.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Good luck man
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Tell the trainer what you're goals are. A lot of pure bodybuilding revolves around very slow lifting, which builds bulk but no dynamic power. The way rugby players train won't make you bulk up as quickly but will build dynamic power and use able strength. 
    Evilmags said:
    Tell the trainer what you're goals are. A lot of pure bodybuilding revolves around very slow lifting, which builds bulk but no dynamic power. The way rugby players train won't make you bulk up as quickly but will build dynamic power and use able strength. 
    Thanks !
    I was wondering about that and that's really useful.

I'm ok with admitting this is vanity and i'm not looking to lift a car engine, just look like i could. :)

Thanks again.