Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who has a cheap mobile phone?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

Yes, I use a cheap mobile phone. It was free actually.

It came with my superb digital camera. Actually, my camera also has a camcorder, satnav, MP3 player, tablet, diary, notepad, calculator, dictaphone....well, you get the idea I think.

It's called a Samsung S7. I've sold my camera, satnav and MP3 player now, so when you consider everything you get with a phone, they're amazing value, worth every penny. I'm as much a luddite as the next man, but when tech can do stuff like this, I'm in!

Before this I had an HTC M8, which I had for 2 years and now my son has it..still stacks up well. So it's not as if I'm some sort of technology whore. I suspect I'll have this S7 for 2-3 years at least.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I've just got my first mobile phone last month.

I was given it!

I pay £10 a month,.

I want the phone so I can make receive calls.

I don't want to take photos / videos / use the internet on it.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33809
    I actually just had a long conversation with my mother about this, which has raised my blood pressure somewhat so forgive me for venting.

She had just bought a brand new iPhone 7 (upgrading from a 5), which itself is fine except for the fact that she doesn't use her iPhone for anything one would normally have a smart phone for.
    In Australia they are $1100, which is quite a bit of a pensioner to pay for if you never use it, simply to have a new shiny toy.

Her use is entirely limited to taking and receiving calls and then setting up her phone as a tethering device so she can access the internet on her laptop when she is at home.
    Every so often she uses a camera.

Because it is Australia she is limited to 8GB a month (and gets about 12mb/s max) and then she is cut off, so for 20 days a month she essentially has no internet.

I've been on at her for years about getting her to get a home broadband connection but she resisted it until now.
    She could spend $50 a month on a home broadband connect and have 100GB a month data limit.

The iPhone will literally spend all of its time in her handbag routing internet from the laptop to the outside world.
    The analogy that finally made her realise it is mad was saying that 'instead of putting in a new bathroom, with a nice new toilet, bath and tiling, what you have essentially done is gold plate the pipes from the bathroom to the road.
    So... hopefully... she is going to stick with her near perfect condition iPhone 5 and get home broadband so she can get a proper internet connection.
  • I have a phone that rings - I answer it.
    I almost never use it to make calls / texts.
    The family make me carry it due to 'health' problems.
    I do 'digital music' (mostly) in my cave and it's enough keeping all
    that technology updated and communicating and 'record ready' along with
    the usual internet stuff - quite enough thanks.
    I was in London last week at a key 'cultural center' with lots to see 'n do -
    in the cafe there were around 16 German teenagers ALL on their phones ALL the time,
    the 3 adults with them appeared from time to time to check on them - everyone was happy =)