Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amazon Prime - any good?

What's Hot

Comments

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I found the TV a bit annoying; lots of stuff on there I thought "oh nice one, I'll watch that" but you have to pay extra for it. I wish there was some way of filtering that stuff out.

The free delivery has been awesome for me though. I've ordered stuff as late as 9pm and it's been there the next day. Sometimes it isn't that fast though - the trick is to check the 'get it by' date before you order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't know if @roundthebend is thinking of living life on the road though.
    I wouldn't mind, but unlikely in the near future. We're currently converting a VW van into a camper and I've got a little dream to do the same with a bus or old military vehicle which we could possibly live abroad in for several months of the year. But Amazon Prime would be far from our thoughts in that case.
  • Had it for a few months, the free delivery is brilliant, we use the TV/movie stuff a lot and having the online storage included is great as well. 
  • I go for the regular free prime deals and then cancel after 30 days.

i'm a bit conflicted over Amazon though, they are taking over everything. Soon we'll all be working in their warehouses.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    mellowsun said:
    I go for the regular free prime deals and then cancel after 30 days.

Do they let you do that? I'd assumed they'd only let you sign up for a free trial once? 
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Mkjackary said:
    If you can find a .ac.uk email address then you can get 6 months free Amazon prime then up to 3 years at ~£39 quid a year (half price)

Recently told my mum this, who is a teacher so has a staff email that ends in ac.uk and Amazon refunded the full 80 quid even though she was about 5 months into her year of prime
    And then she was given a 6 month free trial starting from then, at the end of which she would get 3 years at £39.
    Aye, I work in education (private university) and just figured this out, I don't have an .ac.uk email but it works just the same-I'm on half price spotify, Amazon Prime and a shitload of other stuff-tell her to sign up to "Uni-Days" 

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    Really handy for Christmas!

Also tend to use the video app to download something to watch on a long journey to my phone - watched a fantastic F1 documentary the other day.
    All practice and no theory
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    boogieman said:
    mellowsun said:
    I go for the regular free prime deals and then cancel after 30 days.

Do they let you do that? I'd assumed they'd only let you sign up for a free trial once? 
    After a year or so of not having it I got another 30 day trial, but after that I just let it roll
    All practice and no theory
  • Amazon Prime is great and their Amazon Music service is getting better.  I wouldn't be without it.  

• Don't know if @roundthebend is thinking of living life on the road though.
    I wouldn't mind, but unlikely in the near future. We're currently converting a VW van into a camper and I've got a little dream to do the same with a bus or old military vehicle which we could possibly live abroad in for several months of the year. But Amazon Prime would be far from our thoughts in that case.
    If you were on a campsite in the UK and realised you'd run out of clean underwear you could have a next day delivery to the campsite!

In France this year we mostly used the aires system and we saw a few ex military vehicles converted into campers. Slightly intimidating when an armoured troop carrier pulls up next to your motorhome.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Yes, mostly for the delivery. The prime video is OK too.

One thing to remember is that if anyone else in your household has an amazon account, you can all use the same prime membership. So you all get the quicker deliveries. :-)

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    If you're buying stuff regular then it's pretty good, as has been said, the film and tv is getting better. Mr Robot, Man in the High Castle, Halt and Catch Fire worth a watch and some decent enough older movies in the mix.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1771
    I've just used the 30day free trial (needed to order a birthday present quickly!). The delivery was very good, and the "no rush" delivery giving you a £1 digital credit for music/ebooks is really good as it feels like you're earning money!
    But I wasn't very impressed with the Prime Video, there was only a small amount of stuff that interested me and I couldn't find a convenient way to watch it on my TV and sitting watching it on an ipad in the lounge was a bit weird.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • The Fire stick works well, and there's an offer on today only where you get 25 quid off the stick if you sign up for prime for a year.
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    Some TV's have an app built in for Amazon video. I have a couple of Sony's and they are there along with netflix too.
  • Rocky finally got round to supporting Amazon video too which is great.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12370
    We just hook the laptop up to the tv. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11449
    The fire stick (or similar) is the easy way to get it on the TV for £35.  It also has apps for Youtube, Netflix, iPlayer etc.

Given some of the live concerts now on Youtube having Youtube available on the TV is great.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-rRi8T4KCgKo/V-WJPsnzMSI/AAAAAAAAAaA/SJ2uQlDeIMQlbyX5ZqY_2xYM_D95yeSPACL0B/h1536/2016-09-23.jpg

hope the link works ( and excuse the ever decreasing relevance of my posts to the subject matter); my son was going through some holiday snaps last night and had this. We were trying to find a stop over point before Calais and found a full aires in a slightly rough looking neighbourhood, although the owners of this motorhome presumably not bothered by the locals. As it was full we moved on but he took this picture and it related to what I mentioned earlier to @roundthebend ;
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • @EricTheWeary cool! I caught an episode of George Clarke's Amazing Spaces this week which featured a newly married couple who had decided not to go on honeymoon but to spend the money and time converting a very similar military vehicle into a luxury camper. It was stunning inside, though he completely rebuilt the rear so it looked more like a motorhome. Worth a watch.