Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What would happen if......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• mellowsun said:
    It can't really break, it's a bit like asking what would happen if electricity broke !
    That would probably be the same - once everyone's battery had died, there would be no internet....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paul_c2paul_c2 Frets: 410
    Things which have been invented can't be "uninvented", similarly things which have been discovered can't be forgotten - so electricity is safe. However, they could be abandoned or all the infrastructure/supporting stuff destroyed, I suppose. It would be a number of months before this could be recreated.
  • paul_c2 said:
    Id restart my Razzle and Asian babies subscription

Babes, surely???
    Definitely, bloody autokurect 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5012
    edited September 2016
    paul_c2 said:
    Things which have been invented can't be "uninvented", similarly things which have been discovered can't be forgotten - so electricity is safe. However, they could be abandoned or all the infrastructure/supporting stuff destroyed, I suppose. It would be a number of months before this could be recreated.
    Unless we had another Carrington Event type scenario. That could take significantly longer to refit the infrastructure and be a bit crappy. Exploding substations and the like.

If a massive Solar EMP type event fried "all" currently existing chipsets, we'd have to back several generations or more and start from scratch, albeit with better knowledge but you can't just knock up an i7 in your kitchen! It'd take more than a few months to get back up to speed there. I assume that there are protected areas with back-ups all over the world to prevent that being a real danger though. Bloody well should be!
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    octatonic said:
    Have you tried forcing an unexpected reboot?
    Stop crying, start buying
  • So who's tried a fortnight with no Internet  then? 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28522

If a massive Solar EMP type event fried "all" currently existing chipsets, we'd have to back several generations or more and start from scratch
    If that happened we'd have bigger problems than the loss of the inferweb (though that'd be serious). Most cars, lorries, planes and ships wouldn't work. We'd have to get the Space Shuttle back into service to transport out-of-season fruit and veg to supermarkets.
    siraxeman said:
    So who's tried a fortnight with no Internet  then? 
    I did 17 years with no inferweb. *shudder*
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:

If a massive Solar EMP type event fried "all" currently existing chipsets, we'd have to back several generations or more and start from scratch
    If that happened we'd have bigger problems than the loss of the inferweb (though that'd be serious). Most cars, lorries, planes and ships wouldn't work. We'd have to get the Space Shuttle back into service to transport out-of-season fruit and veg to supermarkets.
    siraxeman said:
    So who's tried a fortnight with no Internet  then? 
    I did 17 years with no inferweb. *shudder*
    I remember using the Internet for the first time at 16, needed to write an essay on a musical figure, I chose Bob Marley because a girl in my class was into reggea, and she had really nice tits.
    i knew nothing about Bob Marley, so went to the library........ Sat down and was shown the Internet. 
    It was incredible, 5 hours later I was kicked out at closing time, clutching my notes.......
    Still barely had enough to fill half a page. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I would have to dig out or renew my library card membership. Although I doubt they'd be open at 2am, when I want to find out who played that annoyingly recognisable extra from that old Hitchcock film.  
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • I'd probably stop wanting to buy so many bloody guitars and play the ones I have more...
  • If the internet broke , I believe that we'd get less threads with click bait titles.
    I reckon there'd be fewer words or phrases that I don't understand, like 'click bait', 'sock puppet', 'straw man', etc....
    And, @richardhomer , that would be 33⅓% not true.

Straw man predates the internet. It refers to a logical fallacy rather than anything purely internet related. Click bait and sock puppet, as generally used in this arena, are more to do with internet machinations.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    First time I went on the internet I thought it was shit and would never catch on, think my ancestors said the same thing about fire, wheels, ships built out of metal etc.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24834
    edited September 2016
    If the internet broke , I believe that we'd get less threads with click bait titles.
    I reckon there'd be fewer words or phrases that I don't understand, like 'click bait', 'sock puppet', 'straw man', etc....
    And, @richardhomer , that would be 33⅓% not true.

Straw man predates the internet. It refers to a logical fallacy rather than anything purely internet related. Click bait and sock puppet, as generally used in this arena, are more to do with internet machinations.
    In the words of Meatloaf, 2 out of 3 ain't bad...