New workshop time (nearly there...)

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16680
    I would be interested too, although you might be a bit far away
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28253
    The drill is at the back of that photo. 5-speed Draper, had it since the monkeyFX days, added an Axminster keyless chuck and a larger ply table with a sanding insert - but I now have a Sealey Pro varispeed.

http://monkeyfx.co.uk/pictures/workshop/drill table insert removed.jpg

Chopsaw is also a Draper - a sliding compound mitre saw. I did a few rooms' worth of laminate floor and skirting with it, but have upgraded to a Bosch pro. I'll check the details - I think it's an 8-incher.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    edited September 2016
    I'll get some more photos of each item and do a Classifieds thread, though initial interest is noted and I'll let each of you see the stuff before posting.

Because of the size and weight of these they'll be strictly collection/meet part way (I'm in Surrey). I'll have a few other bits of machinery and stuff to cull at the same time, and I've got two bags of old hand tools to get rid of.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited September 2016
    I have a couple of the "normal" version of these around my house as I (OK mostly my offspring) got totally fed up with poor wireless coverage around the house.
    https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/
  • normula1 said:
    I have a couple of the "normal" version of these around my house as I (OK mostly my offspring) got totally fed up with poor wireless coverage around the house.
    Yeah, I went with Ubiquiti too (mostly as I got them free when I worked for them :) ) but they are very good.

R.
    Interesting - I will have a look at those, thank you.

Also today everything suddenly moved forward a month. Groundswork chap got a cancellation so that's first week of November now. Pro Workshop had a slot still spare for mid-November. That might mean I can have the dust extraction in by the beginning of December, wiring by mid December and hopefully aircon before Crimbo.
  • normula1 said:
    Yeah, I went with Ubiquiti too (mostly as I got them free when I worked for them :) ) but they are very good.

R.

I've got 3 of these in my house, one for every floor, pricey, but they work well.
    edited September 2016
    Call from the electrician wondering what sockets can be combined into the same circuit - he's a bit worried about the cost. So am I.

I think I can work this with eight 20A circuits.

1x 13A A/C - own socket

1x 13A twin Chopsaw/compressor
    1x 13A twin lathe
    3x 13A twin at table - same circuit
    2x 13A twin at CNC - same circuit
    1x 13A twin pillar drill/planer

1x 16A twin at extractor
    1x 16A twin bandsaw/tablesaw

I think the bandsaw/tablesaw and the pillar drill/planer could all be on the same circuit if that helps - I can't work two of them at the same time after all.

On the downside Axminster have boosted the price of the extractor I was looking at. Last week - £950. Yesterday - £1210. Looking at a separate extractor and cyclone now - a lot cheaper but more work.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4983
    Suggestion @Sporky mount the mains sockets around a metre above your workbench. The power tool cables then hang down, are easier to see and you know which is which.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

edited September 2016
    Hmm.

That's an interesting idea.

There might be shelves above the workbench though, and some Bott Perfo.

Hmm.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    Why not a single ringmain for the 13A sockets? They're usually done via a 32A breaker.
    Then ac and 16a sockets on dedicated spurs.
    Worst case scenario, put in two ring mains, but I thought there was limited amps available from the house?
    Because one of the issues in the current workshop is that there are some things have have to be turned on in a particular order if I want to use them together - the CNC machine, for instance, runs off four sockets. If you turn them all on at once it trips the breaker - there's a PC with a monitor, the controller for the machine and a site trafo that runs the spindle. All have high inrush current.

Which suggests that my plan isn't quite right yet. The sparky seems to know what he's up to though so I'm sure we'll get there.
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240

Inrush currents can be a killer, but changing the type of MCBs being used will probably solve the problem, as different types have different trip ratings/profiles.

I can never remember the types, but a quick google throws up this - https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/Distribution/Mcb.htm

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Ah - thank you. I will have a read. :)
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    That's a simple fix with a new board and a couple of rings
    Aye - the current workshop has its own consumer unit but that covers only one side, the other side is on the house's consumer unit and the breakers don't have enough capacity for that bit. The electrician has a good reputation and seemed to understand what was actually needed, so whenever I've said "I think that it should be this" he's told me if I'm wrong!
  • A note regarding sound insulation. Many moons ago when I first became a record producer we built a studio at the bottom of the garden. It was a cricket pavilion that came and was put up all in one day. We then rockwooled it out and double skinned it with plasterboard and then plaster. Then we left a 12" air gap and built a completely separate building inside from party wall blocks. The inner did not touch the outer at any point so no vibrational sound transfer. We could have had  Motörhead in there and you'd have heard nowt outside! Thing is if you drill a half inch hole in the wall the sound proofing is completely spoiled . It's only as good as the weakest link. So no point going to town on sound proofing the walls but leaving standard doors and windows. I've since built 3 or 4 more studios so I know what I'm on about. Basically the rule is to be air tight. I often think of that first studio and think it would now may the perfect shop. 3 phase elecy and everything
    The windows and doors are sealed and double glazed.

There'll be two holes; one for the incoming mains, one for the aircon. They'll both be tightly sealed.
  • mrshankly said:
    A note regarding sound insulation. Many moons ago when I first became a record producer we built a studio at the bottom of the garden. It was a cricket pavilion that came and was put up all in one day. We then rockwooled it out and double skinned it with plasterboard and then plaster. Then we left a 12" air gap and built a completely separate building inside from party wall blocks. The inner did not touch the outer at any point so no vibrational sound transfer. We could have had  Motörhead in there and you'd have heard nowt outside! Thing is if you drill a half inch hole in the wall the sound proofing is completely spoiled . It's only as good as the weakest link. So no point going to town on sound proofing the walls but leaving standard doors and windows. I've since built 3 or 4 more studios so I know what I'm on about. Basically the rule is to be air tight. I often think of that first studio and think it would now may the perfect shop. 3 phase elecy and everything
    I'd like a sound proof space - I don't suppose you've got any plans? :)

R.
    So... Axminster won't match the old price on their extractor, and a 25% hike seems excessive. I'm looking now at building my own (sort of).

The extractor itself first. From doing the sums, I need something that runs off a single phase supply, will pull at least 2000m3/h, and with a static pressure of at least 9in (that's basically ability to pull 9 inches of water up a pipe). I also need at least a 150mm inlet. This'un looks the monkey - and it's relatively quiet.

http://www.cantarinigroup.it/foto_prodotti/impianti di aspirazione polveri di legno_alfa 1-3cv_1_1.jpg

However, it's about 30cm taller than the workshop, and it only filters to 3u. So the filter bag will come off and be replaced with one of these:

http://www.charnwood.net/images/com_hikashop/upload/cf2024.jpg

And in order to reduce wear on the filter and chips hitting the impeller I'll be running it through one of these with some sort of drop-box:

http://cdn3.volusion.com/wevjd.czhta/v/vspfiles/photos/AXD002030AXL-2T.jpg

Overall about the same cost as the Axminster pre-price-hike.