Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PPI let down

What's Hot
I got my MBNA card in 98. I was early thirties. I ticked the box for PPI. I had insurance on payments on bank loans earlier so thought it was a good idea. 

I tried to play dumb when filling the claim forms from Claims Guys. My bank said I had no PPI but MBNA said I had. MBNA refuse to pay out as they say the blurb beside tick box on application form was very explanitory. Fair enough. I thought it was worth a shot. Wifey thinks if I still play dumb I might get more from it.

I might try the bank again. I had two loans with them in my twenties. One for a Renault 5 and the other for my GSG/Marshall setup (or was it the SG/Laney the year after?).
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• m_cm_c Frets: 1240

I managed to claim back the PPI from an Egg loan I had, as when I took the loan out, they implied that the chances of me getting the loan would be reduced if I never took it. I claimed it back myself using the guide on MSE.

An idiot I worked beside tried to claim his back, and was bragging about it. He went very quiet when his claim got kicked out and it transpired he had claimed on the PPI. He thought they wouldn't check. He's now 1 year into a 5 year debt repayment plan.

• I guess he thought he'd be able to pay back some or all of that debt with his claim money.

On a more positive note, I got a letter from the tax people telling me I am due nearly £500 in over-paid Income Tax. I'd love to spend it on gear, but am still paying Tesco Creditcard for our holiday in Devon a few months back.
  • Keep trying mate. My 1st attempt at claiming on my credit card got knocked back, I tried again and got 4K back.
  • @jamiexsilver my rejection/stall letter reads like a scripted response and makes me think I just ticked the wrong boxes on the claim form
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12373
    I guess he thought he'd be able to pay back some or all of that debt with his claim money.

On a more positive note, I got a letter from the tax people telling me I am due nearly £500 in over-paid Income Tax. I'd love to spend it on gear, but am still paying Tesco Creditcard for our holiday in Devon a few months back.
    I got a tax rebate last week and one of my friends did too. Totally unprompted, HRMC must be getting their finger out at last.

Actually thinking about it one of my mates who's a tax inspector has recently taken early retirement, maybe the two things are connected.  :)
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I hate to come across as all puritanical, but you understood at the time that you were paying for PPI and are now "playing dumb" to make them think you didn't understand so they'll give you money?

That's fraud.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • I have worked for my current employer for close to 5 years. I believe this is my third tax refund. Maybe I got somebody fighting my corner. Or maybe my employer just shite at payroll.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    LoFi said:
    I hate to come across as all puritanical, but you understood at the time that you were paying for PPI and are now "playing dumb" to make them think you didn't understand so they'll give you money?

That's fraud.
    It's not really as simple as that. You can want to take out a product but that doesn't mean it's necessarily suitable for you or that you were eligible for it. You can get your money back if during the investigation they find that's the case, so it's always worth trying.
  • LoFi said:

That's fraud.
    Agreed. I find the attitude of Martin Lewis (Money Saving Expert) to be downright immoral on this.

He basically says "if you can get it from a bank, get it, they're bastards".

Forgetting that it's the people that didn't tick the PPI box in the first place that are paying for those refunds (someone has to be!)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I phoned my CC company 20 years ago, asking to take the PPI off.  I was but a boy and with hindsight of the PPI scam that Martin Lewis has brought to people's attention, should have told them to take it off, because my works sick/redundancy policy meant PPI wouldn't have paid up. Which the pushy salesperson would have known. Instead they demanded to know how I'd repay the balance if I got sick/unemployed or was the victim of fraud.

I put a claim in last month and the cheeky fuckers rejected it, saying there was no record of PPI with the card number I claimed with and it was up to me to prove it.

Luckily, I have an old statement from 2000, when I filled up with petrol in eight different US states. Last item on it is a PPI payment, so I sent them a copy on Tuesday.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I'm pretty sure that I will have no PPI claim. Couple that with being a lazy sod with this sort of stuff and I think I'm gonna hand over to a claims company to look into it. they do the legwork and get nothing if there's no money there. If it's left to me it just won't happen so it is win-win in theory.

The downside is I've spent a year intending to fill in the form I have but I just never get around to it ....
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30926
    The interesting thing here is the whole PPI refund thing was a scam created by the Govt and Banks to prevent a criminal Class Action Regime for Fraud.

It only takes one person to say no, we're taking criminal action and it would change the demographic hugely.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• LoFi said:

That's fraud.
    I was dumb enough at the time to think that, as I was finding it hard to make ends meet at the time, by choosing PPI that I would be more likely to have my application accepted.

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    axisus said:
    I'm pretty sure that I will have no PPI claim. Couple that with being a lazy sod with this sort of stuff and I think I'm gonna hand over to a claims company to look into it. they do the legwork and get nothing if there's no money there. If it's left to me it just won't happen so it is win-win in theory.

The downside is I've spent a year intending to fill in the form I have but I just never get around to it ....
    The claims management company are still going to get you to fill out questionnaires, and they're the exact same ones that you can get yourself.

Its honestly a scam. They do absolutely nothing except stick a cover letter on the front and then charge you 30% for the privilege.

The bank are more than likely still going to have to phone you to go through all the info, and if they don't it's because they've found something on their own systems which means you were missold. Nothing to do with anything that the CMC has done.
  • Keep trying mate. My 1st attempt at claiming on my credit card got knocked back, I tried again and got 4K back.
    4K! That's a bit of a result. That kind of payout could buy a very nice guitar. Or in my case, lots of cheap and quirky guitars.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

Years ago I put in a claim for a possibly mis-sold endowment mortgage (I wasn't that bothered but the company involved had contacted me rather than me contacting them so I went along for the ride, making no real effort to convince them that I deserved anything).

After a few months it finished up with me having a phone conversation with someone involved at the final decision stage who told me it was very unlikely that I would get anything, which I considered fair enough.

A few weeks later I got a cheque for £6k . . . which was nice.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspiller said:
    I was dumb enough at the time to think that, as I was finding it hard to make ends meet at the time, by choosing PPI that I would be more likely to have my application accepted.

Yeah, I was naïve enough to believe the "strongly recommended" insurance, which had I needed to claim, wouldn't have

axisus said:

Thedownside is I've spent a year intending to fill in the form I have but I just never get around to it ....

I found the 2000 statement in 2013 FFS, and put it off until August.  Get as much info as you can, a quiet half hour and do it yourself.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    I guess he thought he'd be able to pay back some or all of that debt with his claim money.
    If only. He still regularly wastes money, and blames his situation on anybody but himself.
  • Nothing immoral in screwing banks over, they are  all counts. If you don't succeed tell them which it to be referred to the financial ombudsman. They. May reconsider as it costs you nothing but win or lose it costs them£1000+ if it's refereed 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing immoral in screwing banks over, they are  all counts.  
    Except that you don't screw the bank over, you screw over its customers who then have to pay higher fees on everything.

Shareholders don't vote for smaller dividends when there's another option on the table.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom