NGD: Jookified Jr

What's Hot
JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
I never seem to have a Jooky of my own - I have this silly rule that I have to sell them all, apart from one, but I even gave that away.. So, anyway, I decided to make myself one, and had fancied trying one of the Faber/Tokai Les Paul Jr kits, so this is that.

The spec is really good - one piece hog body, one piece hog big hanful of a neck, long tenon joint, nice rosewood 'board, and MIJ. And when it showed up the wood was beautiful, really impressive.

I should probably have gone traditional of course, but that isn't really my thing, so I decided to go for a complete opposite - a bit of Art Deco in with the dust.

The top then has been finished with some heavily laden bronze paint, with a bit of copper in there for good measure. This I gave a strong dose of acid so that it corroded to a deep green, and then it was stabilised and finished with a hard wax oil. Back and sides were stained walnut and again hard wax oiled.

The back of the neck I stained walnut as well, but finished with tr-oil and wax for a nice matte finish.

Pickup-wise, I skipped the P90 and went for one of Mojo's Teisco-esque Gold foils. These are a crazy cool pickup - and look pretty amazing too - and in a Jr make perfect sense. Beautiful tones, and Marc also did me one of his historically pukka looms so that should last many a decade.

For the bridge, I prefer wraparounds to ABR/Stopbars, and as I saw @DDlooping used a Hipshot Baby Grand on the first of his Ghost mock-ups, I thought I'd tip my bonce in his direction and use one of those. It is heavy and the sustain is excellent..

Also in the too-fancy-for-a-Jr department, I went for a set of the Deco-ish Grover 109C tuners which look good and work fine.

As for the finishing touch, since the verily clever @Basher did me a logo for my Jookies, I got a new company Custom Cooletch to make me a slightly OTT pickguard that incorporates it in the design. This they've aged beautifully, though the fotos don't really capture the magic.

So as Jrs go, no doubt Marmitey in extreme, but I'm loving it right now and for once I'm going to keep it.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-RJuwo4mZeds/Us8I9WxwxgI/AAAAAAAAGwA/sAnLiXEVtfY/s1600/IMG_5140.JPG
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-m227c6lA_pI/Us8JAdU_7uI/AAAAAAAAGwI/E-5Y3o39eJM/s1600/IMG_5145.JPG

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Lovely :)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    JookyChap said:
    and for once I'm going to keep it.

Ladeeese and Gentlemenns .. place your bets now

:D

It's up there with all of your others Mr Jooky!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    Looking sweet fella.

Got to love a Junior!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Could you do us a bit of a demo to show us that gold foil pickup? Marc seems to be making little else at the moment!
  • JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    I could, but it wouldn't impress you :) Ally Lee did one on Youtube though - This is it

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I like it! 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• WOW
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Looks lovely dude :)

Wow Ally's a great player and shows what cool pickups these are.
    Cheers man - I know what you mean about Ally, makes me sick ;)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    I like that a lot, Mark. Very cool.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    Nice :D
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    Great colour, and I just love the etched copper guard.

Good NGD me-thinks  :)

Cheers fellas :)

@ChrisMusic - I  wanted something a bit OTT and (oddly) Ally who did the video had just recorded the Cooletch guy's band, and mentioned it. Must admit all the metal plates I'd seen before had been heavy metal tattoo kinda things, but the lady who did the work - Jane -  is coming from a different direction and is a lot classier imho. It made the guitar anyway, nobody notices the rest ;)

• I really like that etched stuff. What are the contact details? I might see what they can do...
    I really like that etched stuff. What are the contact details? I might see what they can do...
    They haven't got a web site, I don't think, but are on facebook Here and I'll PM you Chris' email address - he's a good geezer

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    Bloody gorgeous mate!
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    So what exactly are those Gold Foils like, cos every time you mention them I get more and more tempted ...
    They are pretty raw. They are a lot like a P90 in that they are a thicker single coil sound, but the sustain on them is really long, and there is more separation even when you use a lot of distortion. Ry Cooder's slide is probably the one everybody references most, but clean they are quite twangy. They remind me of a Filtertron as well, but generally they just have a different sound, which is quite refreshing.

I am vaguely in love with them at the moment, them and some Mosrite-ish ones Mojo do as well.

• WOW!
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    JookyChap said:
    So as Jrs go, no doubt Marmitey in extreme, but I'm loving it right now and for once I'm going to keep it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hand-Built-Jooky-Les-Paul-Jr-Junior-Gibson-Strings-/171218501098?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item27dd6afdea

:P

There isn't really a smilie that sums up 'inevitable'...  :D

@TTony wasn't wrong!!