Repairing corrupt photos?

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
edited September 2016 in Off Topic
I've just got back from a couple of weeks trekking across California to find that 90% of the 800 photos I took on my camera can't be read properly on anything other than the camera itself! -1 

I'm on Mac btw, the files are visible so I haven't bothered trying any file recovery software, but is there any tricks you guys can think of to salvage the other 700-odd?

*edit* Extra info added:
It's a Sony cybershot DSC-HX90. I've tried via USB and via the smartcard reader on my Mac. I've also tried using their software but it crashes each time it tries to read the file list. They're just JPG files.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27104
    edited September 2016
    Argh, shit! What's the camera?

Have you tried copying both by plugging the SD card into the Mac, and also connecting through the camera via usb?

Are they RAW or JPG? Which version of OSX? Does the camera have wifi?

Beyond that the guys on talkphotography are good at this stuff...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • if you can  view them on the camera, there should be a way to get them, give us more info
  • Info added above
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28380
    Try putting the battery in the other way around, so that the camera projects the images. Then hang up a white sheet, and take a photo of the results with another camera.

Obvs really.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Why didn't I think of that? :lol: 

• I often find the same thing on my cannon (camera manufacturer, that is).  I suggest connecting the camera via a USB (most have this in some form) and downloading it from the camera.  Most Windows versions see most cameras easily enough, but crapple?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I often find the same thing on my cannon (camera manufacturer, that is).  I suggest connecting the camera via a USB (most have this in some form) and downloading it from the camera.  Most Windows versions see most cameras easily enough, but crapple?

You know Apple is the industry standard for photographers across the world, right?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • This can happen if you are using a cheap SD card. If you are, get yourself a decent quality one.
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4140
    edited September 2016
    ^ That's what I'm afraid of, it's a new card purchased right before the holiday from Amazon (direct), looks like a Sandisk but now I'm doubting it.

@JezWynd - seemed to get a little further but then crashed in a similar manner, thanks though.

I'm going to take it into work tomorrow and try on a windows machine anyway just to check.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    I expect the FAT is corrupt on the SD card .... something cheap like recover my files can be surprisingly effect at getting photos back from corrupt cards  

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/how-to-recover-files.php

In the meantime don't use anything that writes any data at all to the card
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

You know Apple is the industry standard for photographers across the world, right?
    You know Crapple is the industry standard for stopping you moving your own data around, right?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    I often find the same thing on my cannon (camera manufacturer, that is).  I suggest connecting the camera via a USB (most have this in some form) and downloading it from the camera.  Most Windows versions see most cameras easily enough, but crapple?

You know Crapple is the industry standard for stopping you moving your own data around, right?
    mmm not really, connect a windows formatted drive to a Mac and the Mac will see the drive and the FAT no problem. Connect a Mac formatted drive to a Windows machine and Windows will see fuck all and probably suggest a format :)

I work with data recovery and a Mac is my weapon of choice purely because it does read any drive (and doesn't care about permissions) 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Danny, will give it a shot.
  • can you first copy the SD card using a disk image copier?
    I would
  • Danny1969 said:
    I often find the same thing on my cannon (camera manufacturer, that is).  I suggest connecting the camera via a USB (most have this in some form) and downloading it from the camera.  Most Windows versions see most cameras easily enough, but crapple?

mmm not really, connect a windows formatted drive to a Mac and the Mac will see the drive and the FAT no problem. Connect a Mac formatted drive to a Windows machine and Windows will see fuck all and probably suggest a format :)

I work with data recovery and a Mac is my weapon of choice purely because it does read any drive (and doesn't care about permissions) 
    Interesting point - but whenever an Apple product gets anywhere near my stuff it assumes I've stolen it, prevents me from copying or retreiving it, then randomly deletes it. At least MS assumes your stuff is your stuff - in the main.
  • Looks like the camera can read the imbedded thumbnail of the JPEG but not the actual JPEG itself
  • The thumbnails read inconsistently on the mac too, and I can zoom in and pan around fully on the camera itself in playback mode so I'm not sure on that part @Axe_master? I'm far from an expert on this though so...!
  • Does the camera have wifi for transferring photos? Time consuming but worth a try - worked for me with my Fuji when I had some unreadable shots 

• Before you try anything, use something like "win 32 disk imager" to take a copy of the SD card onto another card
    Then you can try repairing the  FAT on the copy, etc