Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Commuting

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• We weren't allowed anywhere near the lovely hexagonal or octagonal building. We knew our place. That was 25 years ago though.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Moss said:
    In before @octatonic posts that picture of the corridor between his house and workshop
    I think you mean the wing between his house and workshop ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    @crunchman - Did you receive anything free in your youth? University perhaps?
    I'm all for for sending kids to university for free.  We'd be better spending money on that.

It's just that we have a massive air pollution and obesity crisis and 50% of car journeys (or something like that) are under 3 miles and most of them really should be walked or cycled.  At the moment our kids are getting the idea that it is normal to use motorised transport for short journeys.
    Yeah... you're right... kids should just walk to school:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/37503982

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Over the years I've had the pleasure of most forms of commuting. The shortest was twelve feet down the corridor into my study. The longest involved a one hour drive, a 90 minute flight, and another 90 minute drive. Each method has its good and bad points. Working, reading, or sleeping on the train/plane. Listening to your own music, or choice of radio station, in the car. Reading the paper, or talking to the driver, in the limo. With a little experience you tend to ignore the unnecessary stuff: other passengers, airline "breakfast", road delays; and work out the important things: where to get a good coffee before the train, which motorway services to use, when to use the bus and when to walk, where to stand on the platform, where to eat/drink/sit at each airport.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Only one thing wrong with public transport and that's the public.
    As Sid Viscious said "I've met the man in the street .... "
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Moss said:
    In before @octatonic posts that picture of the corridor between his house and workshop
    I think you mean the wing between his house and workshop ;)
    One doesn't like to toot one's own horn.

What am I saying?
    One does....

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited October 2016

Roland said:
    Each method has its good and bad points.

With a little experience you tend to ignore the unnecessary stuff: other passengers, airline "breakfast", road delays; and work out the important things: where to get a good coffee before the train, which motorway services to use, when to use the bus and when to walk, where to stand on the platform, where to eat/drink/sit at each airport.
    Wise words. In 28 years my commute has varied from a 3 minute motorbike ride to 80 minutes on two tube lines. The majority (last 20 years) has been under an hour on one tube line, getting a seat at both ends and switching off by reading or listening to music.

We're thinking of moving out of London and while the missus thinks I'll hate a longer commute, little tweaks can make it easier. Like starting/leaving work earlier to get a seat, catching the fast trains or working from home one day a week.

Now all we have to do is decide where the fuck to live, that's an hour north of Charing Cross.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    If kids don't get free buses, you'll just have parents in their cars driving them about. Buses hardly contribute to congestion compared with that possibility.
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    holnrew said:
    If kids don't get free buses, you'll just have parents in their cars driving them about. Buses hardly contribute to congestion compared with that possibility.
    It's not the congestion now.  It's stopping them being lazy and getting them into good fitness habits for when they are adults.  It's also about saving money on bus subsidies.  There are better things to spend it on - like proper funding for education and the NHS.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    holnrew said:
    It's not the congestion now.  It's stopping them being lazy and getting them into good fitness habits for when they are adults.  It's also about saving money on bus subsidies.  There are better things to spend it on - like proper funding for education and the NHS.

Behave.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    crunchman said:
    holnrew said:
    I get it, you hate kids.
    My V key is broken
    crunchman said:
    holnrew said:
    This is like the benefits argument - bloody scrouunnggersss!! They should be working, or at the very least not spending it all on booze and fags!

... even though the benefits cost to this country is well below others, and well within tolerance.

Not every kid is fortunate enough to live 2minutes from their school.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Started a new job recently and the commute is very tiring. My old commute was 25 mins each way, this is more like an hour.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    HAL9000 said:
    I had to take the train into London Bridge during the rush hour yesterday. How people put up with that for more than a few days is beyond me. Ok, I expect salaries are better and all that, but if the commute takes, say, ninety minutes each way then that's fifteen hours of my life down the pan each week. Frankly I'd rather spend that fifteen hours with the ones I love instead of wasting it on getting to my place of work.
    F***ing London Bridge.

For a short time I'm stuck commuting to uni ... and go through London Bridge where they f***ing no longer stop with the connecting train... adding a half hour each way to my journey.

The train goes THOUGH London Bridge, passing along a platform that it could stop at... but for some reason relating to the improvement work the train wont stop moving there until Jan 2018. 

It's so possible to stop there that there's a sign for the driver saying "Do not release doors" and signs for the passengers "Do not alight here, platform not in use".

It makes no sense and has added hours to my week. I can't see how people do commuting of any real distance for any length of time it's so boring!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    I have a short drive to work about 15 minutes from the centre of town out to the country in the morning but can be double that getting home in the evening on a bad day.

Not sure I could hack long commutes either by car or Public transport.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28354
    I don't commute any more. This is a good thing.

I usually go to the office once a week; if I want to go early it takes about an hour, if I aim for about tennish it takes forty minutes.

Otherwise my journeys are to meet customers, not just to sit in front of a different computer in a less comfortable chair.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Drew_TNBD said:
    crunchman said:
    holnrew said:
    This is like the benefits argument - bloody scrouunnggersss!! They should be working, or at the very least not spending it all on booze and fags!

... even though the benefits cost to this country is well below others, and well within tolerance.

Not every kid is fortunate enough to live 2minutes from their school.
    This. We're 2.9 miles away from our daughter's school, and about 2.7 miles from the default catchment school. The council scrapped the "safe route" criterion when they realised that there are very few safe routes through Newport, so now they have a "we expect an adult to walk nearly 12 miles a day to deliver their child to school" criterion. That's why my daughter's on a bus. With a driver who doesn't give 2 shits what the kids do. She's scared to get on to come home sometimes. What a joyride eh!
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    holnrew said:
    crunchman said:
    holnrew said:
    I get it, you hate kids.
    Better than liking them too much, I guess.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I drive about 7 minutes.
    I'd do 15 or 20, but I wouldn't want to do much more.
    I did Brighton to Sheffield for a few months.... Not every day obviously 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I've been a lazy sod this year. I cycled to work last year, which is about twenty miles a day. The commute would take anything from forty minutes to an hour. That is all dependent on how late i was running, or how windy and horrible it was on my ride home.
    This year I've hardly done any cycling and have driven in more. It usually take about twenty to forty five minutes to drive in. 
    I'm not a big advocate of public transport. Especially here in the south west, it's far to expensive and badly run.

I would rather walk or cycle. i did all of that cycling last year for a few reasons but the main one was to make sure i didn't become too reliant on the car. 

My old car broke down last February and I would have had to take about three buses to get into work. So rather than spend a fortune on bus fares. I pushed myself to get on the bike. Once you get into the swing of doing it, it becomes routine. I would avoid rush hours and arrive feeling positive.  

My sister used to walk ten miles a day to work. Again because the buses would take forever and she would spend a fortune on fares.  
    When we had snow a few years ago, she walked into work and one of her co-workers had rang up and said she couldn't make it in....... This lady lived two minutes away.
    My sister's boss said "well funny you say that. Grace has just walked in from the other side of Bristol. She set off at six am"
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.