Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Commuting

What's Hot
lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
On a bloody bus today, stinks of piss and loud mouthed chav kids everywhere.

I could not do this everyday.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Only one thing wrong with public transport and that's the public.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9682
    edited September 2016
    I had to take the train into London Bridge during the rush hour yesterday. How people put up with that for more than a few days is beyond me. Ok, I expect salaries are better and all that, but if the commute takes, say, ninety minutes each way then that's fifteen hours of my life down the pan each week. Frankly I'd rather spend that fifteen hours with the ones I love instead of wasting it on getting to my place of work.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • This is exactly the reason why I work where I do. Pay is OK, actual job is hard work, but 12 minutes walk is the perfect commute. 

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    I normally walk in to work, doing this every day is not an option.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloyd said:
    On a bloody bus today, stinks of piss and loud mouthed chav kids everywhere.

I could not do this everyday.
    Where is this? Name and shame! LooseMoose said:
    Only one thing wrong with public transport and that's the public.

I find something similar when I'm driving. The roads are fine. It's just there are all these people in cars.  
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Hour a day each way generally.  Bromley to Victoria then tube onwards to wherever.
    Allows you to get in the mood, then chill on the way home.  I travel late though and never in the peak.
    Couldnt do without it.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BowksBowks Frets: 414
    30 minutes by bus or 15 minutes by bicycle to my job in EC3V.

Love it!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27591
    Ahhhh ... the joys.

In the ideal world, we'd all be able to walk to work whilst living in an area that (a) we could afford and (b) gave us everything else we needed (schools, restaurants, pubs, whatever).  In an even more ideal world, our job would gradually or rapidly develop to meet our ambitions, the company we worked for would never get taken over, or relocate and our job would never get restructured or made redundant.

The sun would always shine, beer would cost 1p and there'd be no dodgy strangers in the street.

In the real world, for many reasons, we end up working miles away from wherever we live and we have to endure the daily "commute", though some forms are more more bearable than others.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1509
    My journeys to and from work on the train every day are mostly quite pleasant.

Well...when the cunting things bloody turn up that is. Another half hour delay this morning just because.

I sometimes get the bus because it's MUCH cheaper but yeah it ain't the nicest of journeys.
  • lloyd said:
    I normally walk in to work, doing this every day is not an option.
    London commuting I never minded. Used to be an hour and a bit from Finchley down to London Bridge and then over to Honor Oak. It was very crowded on the Tube but it never fazed me. Commuting around Wiltshire and Bath... horrible. It's the time you have to wait for a train, the delays, knowing there's nothing for another half hour, and the overcrowding at times was worse in rural land than London land. 

• lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    It's mostly the kids that are annoying, I could probably get used to it apart from them-they should have their own buses.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6133
    My commiserations old fruit, I know where you are coming from.

I used to work a ten minute cycle ride from home. It was great, I could go home at lunchtimes. The (secondary) campus I worked on was beautiful, as was the surrounding country side.

Then 'they' decided to close the campus and move everyone up to the primary site in the worst, most run-down part of Stoke On Trent.  

The place is a car-fumed choking shyte-hole that smells of sour-milk and dog excrement.. and now I have to cycle and catch the cattle-truck, so my working day is now much longer and I am worse off cos of the rail fairs. I can only manage it because I persuaded my employer to reduce my contract to 3 days a week.  It now means my work/life balance is in my favour.

If I had to do it for five days a week they would be carting me off site in a straight-jacket. :/
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • TroyTroy Frets: 224
    I have a lovely commute through the beautiful Suffolk countryside.
  • equalsql said:
    My commiserations old fruit, I know where you are coming from.

I used to work a ten minute cycle ride from home. It was great, I could go home at lunchtimes. The (secondary) campus I worked on was beautiful, as was the surrounding country side.

Then 'they' decided to close the campus and move everyone up to the primary site in the worst, most run-down part of Stoke On Trent.  

The place is a car-fumed choking shyte-hole that smells of sour-milk and dog excrement.. and now I have to cycle and catch the cattle-truck, so my working day is now much longer and I am worse off cos of the rail fairs. I can only manage it because I persuaded my employer to reduce my contract to 3 days a week.  It now means my work/life balance is in my favour.

If I had to do it for five days a week they would be carting me off site in a straight-jacket. :/
    Were you in Stafford by any chance? I spent 2 years in the secondary secondary campus, in the ex-engine facility in the arse end of nowhere. They didn't let us MSC types mingle with undergrads. :-(
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    When I first joined BT I was in a static post, based in the West End of London. 40 minutes on the tube to work, read the paper, drink a coffee on the way. Lovely. 

Then I changed posts and we were based in North London but covered every exchange within the M25. It could sometimes take 3 hours or more to get onsite. Stuff that, give me public transport every time. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    lloyd said:
    It's mostly the kids that are annoying, I could probably get used to it apart from them-they should have their own buses.
    In London kids over 13 shouldn't get it for free.  They can walk to school.  If anyone in London is going to a school that they can't walk to in 40 minutes it's because of their (or their parents) choice.  Let them choose to make unnecessary journeys if they want but don't clog up the roads and don't make me subsidise it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    I drive. A10 to Cambridge every day. It's not as bad because I work shifts, so I don't get the peak traffic, but it's single carriageway all the way. So if you get a 40mph lorry/old cunt then you're stuck, because there's no chance of overtaking. Also, tractors.
  • crunchman said:
    lloyd said:
    In London kids over 13 shouldn't get it for free.  They can walk to school.  If anyone in London is going to a school that they can't walk to in 40 minutes it's because of their (or their parents) choice.  Let them choose to make unnecessary journeys if they want but don't clog up the roads and don't make me subsidise it.

Cheer up, pal. It's fucking Friday for Christ's sake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Buses and trains are pretty rank yeah. I use the train pretty regularly, but I try to get a cheap deal on first class tickets. Its not about being snobbish, but its about knowing you will have a seat and (more or less ) peace and quiet and privacy, so you can get some work or kip in.

The Tube is firggin horrendous. Its alright when its quiet, but otherwise its a dehumanising depressing experience. BEtter than it was in the past, but still sheeite. Same in pretty much every country I've been to.

Russian underground is not too bad, the one in Moscow is very good and Stalinistically impressive, every station is a monument,
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Skarloey said:
    crunchman said:
    lloyd said:

Cheer up, pal. It's fucking Friday for Christ's sake.
    I say that to anyone who will listen (and to those who don't listen) whenever London buses come up whatever day of the week it is.

They are also getting fat and unfit because the only exercise they do is waddling to the bus stop.

Where I used to live the traffic was horrendous in the mornings.  In stationary traffic you would see school kids waiting for a bus to go one or two stops that they could walk in 5 minutes.  There was no bus in sight (on a long straight piece of road), and the way the traffic was, there wouldn't be a bus for at least 5 minutes, and then it would take another 8 minutes to get them to their school.  There is no way those kids should have been using the bus.  For their own good they should be made to do some exercise.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom