Child born with DNA from 3 parents

What's Hot
https://www.newscientist.com/article/2107219-exclusive-worlds-first-baby-born-with-new-3-parent-technique/

My immediate knee jerk reaction is do you want Magneto? Because that is how you get Magneto.

"In mexico, there are no rules" 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• That's not news - it's an every day occurrence on Jeremy Kyle!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • This was passed as legal quite some time ago in the UK, around Feb 2015 iirc.
    We were the first country to legalise it, we have been doing studies and tests ever since, but I think Mexico just jumped in and went for it, we are being a bit more cautious.

It is brilliant for two reasons.

First medically, anybody with a mitochondrial disease can have children that won't have to suffer from their disease. By having someone donate healthy mitochondria the baby will be healthy.

And secondly for gay couples who want children, before they would have to adopt, or only one of them would be the biological parent.
    Now one parent could donate the egg, and the other the mitochondrial DNA with the sperm from an outside source. (Or the other way around with male couples)

Their child will biologically be related to both of it's (homosexual) parents.
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?
  • MkjackaryMkjackary Frets: 776
    edited September 2016
    DesVegas said:

My immediate knee jerk reaction is do you want Magneto? Because that is how you get Magneto.
    That would be cool though

https://a2ua.com/magneto/magneto-010.jpg
    I'm not a McDonalds burger. It is MkJackary, not Mc'Jackary... It's Em Kay Jackary. Mkay?

• I think it's a great thing.  It's actually been going since 1976, because my parents were able to give me Einstein and Hendrix genes in the early days of the technology. 

• I'd like to be sure there are no genetic issues down the line as a result of this.   It seems a bit unnecessary and bizarre to me.  
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382

I think it's a great thing.  It's actually been going since 1976, because my parents were able to give me Einstein and Hendrix genes in the early days of the technology. 

Such a shame it was Jimi's grasp of physics and Albert's fretboard skills though. 

;) 
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :# boogieman said:

I think it's a great thing.  It's actually been going since 1976, because my parents were able to give me Einstein and Hendrix genes in the early days of the technology. 

Such a shame it was Jimi's grasp of physics and Albert's fretboard skills though. 

Yeah that probably explains why I chucked my guitar out of a window to see what gravity did then set fire to my Newton's cradle
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    Its certainly weird, and certainly unnatural. But for any detractors, is that necessarily a bad thing? After all, taking a pharmaceutical is unnatural, but we are OK with that.

As soon as science intrudes on anything to do with conception, the ethics alarms start sounding. IMO its one area of science and medicine that needs very careful stewardship.

Another point is that fertility and parenthood isn't a right: its a privilege. IMO of course.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    DesVegas said:

Or alternatively... http://www.comicbooked.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/thething1982-1.jpg

• I don't think it is unnatural or weird.  It's mankind using it's collective knowledge to allow children to be born without horrific diseases whilst remaining to be genetically related to it's parents.  That's good, surely?

In fact un natural as a notion bothers me, it has too many links with religion and people who think stopping vaccinations is a good thing etc.  Cyanide is natural as is Malaria.  The thing that stops you getting TB is unnatural by the same definition. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    natural is by definition something that occurs in nature. That's very different to saying something isn't normal. That's why I carefully used the word.

It is most definitely unnatural as no species on the planet uses three sets of individual genetic material to reproduce. It completely bucks the natural order.

Also note I didn't pass judgement by saying its unnatural, because a lot of medical advancement is (by my definition) unnatural.

ANd I agree wholeheartedly on the reilgion thing, but then I'd take religion out of everything: religion really winds me up.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    The science is awesome but I'm not sure I'd want to be the first baby ever born that way. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Yay Science!
  • Snap said:
    natural is by definition something that occurs in nature. That's very different to saying something isn't normal. That's why I carefully used the word.

It is most definitely unnatural as no species on the planet uses three sets of individual genetic material to reproduce. It completely bucks the natural order.

Also note I didn't pass judgement by saying its unnatural, because a lot of medical advancement is (by my definition) unnatural.

ANd I agree wholeheartedly on the reilgion thing, but then I'd take religion out of everything: religion really winds me up.

Okay mate.  I've probably spent too long getting would up by the likes of  David Wolfe, Natural News and that kind of thing where everything considered natural is good and anything not natural is bad.  You didn't pass judgement to be fair, perhaps it's just the way I look at things, which is scientifically, whether something is natural or not is by-the-by, it's all chemicals, biological processes etc and if it achieves the goal and makes somebody's life better, it's a good thing.  Clearly not yourself, but some people will not get past that this is 'unnatural', which would be a shame. 
  • It's amazing. 

I do wonder how the NHS will afford it when people demand the "right" to it. But medically and scientifically, it is fantastic. Mankind just never ceases to amaze. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Evilmags said:
    The science is awesome but I'm not sure I'd want to be the first baby ever born that way. 
    I think it'd be totes worth it for the awesome superpowers.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • TheMarlin said:
    It seems a bit unnecessary and bizarre to me.  
    Taken from Wikipedia

"Symptoms [of mitochondrial diseases] include poor growth, loss of muscle coordination, muscle weakness, visual problems, hearing problems, learning disabilities, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, gastrointestinal disorders, respiratory disorders, neurological problems, autonomic dysfunction and dementia."

I wouldn't want to put a child through that if I had a choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28358
    Snap said:

As soon as science intrudes on anything to do with conception, the ethics alarms start sounding. IMO its one area of science and medicine that needs very careful stewardship.
    We already enable the passing on of infertility via various means.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Well I have the perfect DNA mix.
    Einstein and Arnold Schwartzeneger.
    Unfortunatly I got Einsteins body and Arnold's brain.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Well I have the perfect DNA mix.
    Einstein and Arnold Schwartzeneger.
    Unfortunatly I got Einsteins body and Arnold's brain.
    Given that Arnie was a millionaire before he even moved to the US, I'd say that's a pretty decent brain!