Child born with DNA from 3 parents

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7878
    Mkjackary said:
    TheMarlin said:
    It seems a bit unnecessary and bizarre to me.  
    Taken from Wikipedia

"Symptoms [of mitochondrial diseases] include poor growth, loss of muscle coordination, muscle weakness, visual problems, hearing problems, learning disabilities, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, gastrointestinal disorders, respiratory disorders, neurological problems, autonomic dysfunction and dementia."

I wouldn't want to put a child through that if I had a choice.
    I've got worse, would be dead inside a week without daily dose of pills. I'm riddled with genetic issues. I only found out after my daughter was born, symptoms only manifest in my late thirties.  Was terribly ill. 
    My soloution, no more kids. I then married a divorcee with kids.  Love them dearly, excited about getting grandkids (probably ten years or so away)
    Luckily, to get what I have, you need to have parents with the same faulty gene, my daughter hasn't inherited it, it stops dead with me.  

We think we understand genetics, but we don't. Not fully. Scientists used to think the genes were all important, but it appears the spaces between the gene also has a huge impact, and that's not even close to being understood. 

It appears to have had a positive outcome, which is great, fantastic.  Nobody wants children to suffer, but we need more data.  My concern is that this is being messaged by some of the media almost as a lifestyle choice. That worries me, particularly when we don't fully understand the long term effect, and how this may/may-not impact later generations. 

Hooefully, it's 100% safe. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom