Not really amps, but Nixie Tubes

What's Hot
vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
edited September 2016 in Amps
This is an astonishing video. A guy got into Nixie tubes, found out that they were no longer made so he set up an entire production line to manufacture new ones. These are a work of art.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Yep, and when you see how it's done, you realise just why they're so damned expensive (and probably worth it...).
  • $145 per tube. But when you look what he has done...even down to making the glass and creating the vacuum, this is artisan-level manufacturing.

I like the line in the video where he says he "ran out of room in the shed so we moved into a castle".
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Absolutely fascinating.  A true craftsman. Why isn't he making valves for the TGP market I wonder?
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6152
    tFB Trader
    I watched the whole thing, true artisan right there. The product is immense
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3165
    tFB Trader
    Any man who can use a Whirlpool kitchen oven to make valves deserves my business.

1 x R|Z568M ordered.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • "I needed more space so I moved from the garden shed to a local castle".

As you do...
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Fascinating the lengths he's gone to
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    Amazing. But excuse my naïveness what are these numerical valves for?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648

That's the purpose of the tubes, to display numbers, they were a rudimentary form of a screen. 

That's the purpose of the tubes, to display numbers, they were a rudimentary form of a screen. 
    Why would one need them now though? Why would he go to such lengths and expense to make them again 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28295

Why would one need them now though? Why would he go to such lengths and expense to make them again 
    I think it may have started with the steampunk thing (though they're not really steampunk) - they have a sort of Tesla-ish look to them, they're a mostly-forgotten technology and so on.

Mostly I think it's that they look cool, and they produce a lovely warm glow. One of those rare times when even I think that the better way of doing it (with a dial and hands, or an LCD or LED screen) actually lacks something. Nixies and flip-clocks have a nice elegance to them. They're both simpler and far more complex than the modern approaches.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I like that someone went to a lot of trouble to keep an old technology alive.

We've lost many skills because people couldn't be arsed to keep old traditions going.
    Think how many 'True Historics' Gibson could've saved themselves from making and the public from repeatedly buying if they'd only kept blueprints of the originals.
    tFB Trader

Because they are beautiful and it's a very nostalgic technology 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    ThorpyFX said:

Because they are beautiful and it's a very nostalgic technology 
    Well I yes I agree and love to see more of this stuff but how cost effective can it be? Is there a market for it enough to financially viable with all that kit he had to buy. Maybe he's an eccentric millionaire or something and money doesn't matter that much.

Still it's captivating watching how it's all done though. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    Labours of love are rarely 'cost effective' or 'financially viable'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    Well I yes I agree and love to see more of this stuff but how cost effective can it be? Is there a market for it enough to financially viable with all that kit he had to buy. Maybe he's an eccentric millionaire or something and money doesn't matter that much.

Still it's captivating watching how it's all done though. 

Given each tube sells for $145, and I noticed somewhere mentioned 800 had been made, even allowing for $45 for materials, that's still $80'000, or more realistically over $100k, as I'd guess material costs for each tube won't be that high.

Given the low scale production techniques being used, I can't see an individual tube needing more than an hour labour, so you're looking at $100 an hour, which should quite easily cover costs. Even at two hours, it's still $50 an hour. Now for something that would appear to be more of a hobby/passion, that's pretty good.

• m_cm_c Frets: 1240
    It's worth a read of the About Me section on the website, as it gives a bit history - http://www.daliborfarny.com/#section-about-me
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1773
    That clock he's made is so frickin cool - shame I can't afford the $1700 price tag :-(
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    tFB Trader
    BigMonka said:
    That clock he's made is so frickin cool - shame I can't afford the $1700 price tag :-(
    oh i want one, shame the long haired general has vetoed it as an unecessary frivolity