Awayday at work today

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
60 people in one room. Other people talking at us. Lunch break was rabbit food. Fighting to stay awake. There's a window next to me I may well fling myself out. Lunch break just ending, I spent the time staring at my phone to avoid conversation. I think its a team building exercise. Kill me now.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    that's my idea of a version of hell.

Team building is easy - just take everyone to the pub. Get a few beers in and start jawing. And if you don't like the pub, go join another team.

But people insist on dressing it up into nonsense like building rafts or stuff like that. I've been on a few and I ca honestly say that they make absolutely no difference to how teams operate at work, not whatsoever. Yet, they persist.....

• There's nothing that compromises my ability and desire to work in a team more than "Team Building"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27602
    axisus said:
    There's a window next to me
    You have a window, and yet you're still complaining???
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • On days like that I used to think about the final scene in Ashes to Ashes, IIRC,where he jumped out of the meeting room window. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4549
    Get involved you pussy
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33800
    edited September 2016
    I once did a team building exercise where the management sat around watching the workers play 'musical chairs' and they couldn't understand how demeaning it was.
    Their argument was 'we all did it too'- on a previous team build for them, where no one else was present.
    They couldn't see that there was a fundamental difference between them doing it by themselves and then us doing it whilst they watched and took notes.

I left the company a few months later and went to work for grown ups.

Since then I've got a rule which is 'no team building unless it involves violence'. Paintball, MMA training or just going to the car park for an improvised game of fight club*.

*Don't ask me what it is.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    You could play bullshit bingo! At least it gives you and your collegues something in common.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6690
    Circle jerking in a totally blacked out room is the best team building exercise. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    merlin said:
    Circle jerking in a totally blacked out room is the best team building exercise. 
    Can't beat a round of soggy biscuit.
  • You should have been with me yesterday. It should have been the start of a 2 day Course. Everything was apparently arranged 6 months ago  - dates supplied by the guy running the Course. He didn't appear. After much phoning, it was found he'd put the wrong dates in his diary. He's currently not even in the UK; he's sunning himself in Singapore!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • They did one for us the other week where they shipped people from all over the country to go to Epsom races, though everybody thoroughly enjoyed it and are still talking about it.

I wouldn't know though as I made it very clear I wouldnt attend as soon as the invites were issued as I don't wish to participate in the company I work for's contradictory bullshit
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic