Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The N word.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• I've heard several reasons why black guys refer to each other by using the 'N' word but I'm pretty sure it's never cool for a white person to call them that. 

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited October 2016
    It's a pejorative that has been used by a minority community and taken on as their own, in the same way that "queer" is used in the lesbian and gay community. They feel they can use it between themselves, without fear of reprisal, but when used by anyone else it still has its original meaning. Personally, I'm fine with that...I would never use the N word or the Q word myself, even though it's just a word. It's because the offence it would cause, and I choose not to upset people in that way. Its association with people of my racial profile is prettty much 100% hate-related or discriminatory and, even though they're just words, I would not want to be thought of as that kind of person.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'll use what words I want to, thanks.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    I've always thought the usage in rap music was in a negative infliction. And the word has been reclaimed.

As a white guy it makes me feel uncomfortable to listen to it. I love old wu tang, busta rhymes and Richard Pryor but I always feel awkward when that word is used.
    I think because if I repeated a lyric or a skit i could get myself in serious trouble  (understandably). 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    To be fair Luke Cage objects when he is called one
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Call it a simplistic view, but if it's such a bad word, nobody should be using it regardless of race. I don't buy the notion that one set of people can use it but not the other.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24364
    Call it a simplistic view, but if it's such a bad word, nobody should be using it regardless of race. I don't buy the notion that one set of people can use it but not the other.
    Call it a simplistic view, but if it's such a bad word, nobody should be using it regardless of race. I don't buy the notion that one set of people can use it but not the other.
    It is simplistic.

Reclaiming a word can reduce the negative implications over time. Many words have had their meanings changed slowly over time that way.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    It is simplistic.

Reclaiming a word can reduce the negative implications over time. Many words have had their meanings changed slowly over time that way.
    Nice one fliddy!
  • agibboagibbo Frets: 102
    When I used to work in one of Birminghams less glamorous locations, one of the gang nominals used to drive round with a private plate displaying N16GA X - with the 6 made to look like a G so it read as "NIGGA X" - lovely!
  • NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
    edited October 2016
    It is simplistic.

So much so that you quoted it twice, eh?
  • DrJazzTap said:
    I've always thought the usage in rap music was in a negative infliction. And the word has been reclaimed.

As a white guy it makes me feel uncomfortable to listen to it. I love old wu tang, busta rhymes and Richard Pryor but I always feel awkward when that word is used.
    I think because if I repeated a lyric or a skit i could get myself in serious trouble  (understandably). 

I'm the same.

Da mystery of chessboxin' Doc!
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Anagram of the hard grafting people who built Great Britain and everybody hated.  Makes much sense.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    DrJazzTap said:

My V key is broken
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2168
    holnrew said:
    DrJazzTap said:

haha that is me (apart from locking the Windows!). 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.