Headstock Branding

What's Hot
Hey,

After a long time thinking about it, i've finally decided to put together my own partscaster(an Esquire along the lines of the postmodern journeyman series) .  I've got a MJT body on the way and also just scored a nice satin nitro allparts neck on the 'bay.  What I was wondering is, has anyone ever tried to do a headstock logo by using a heated banding iron?  I fancy doing something a bit different and I dont really wanna stick a fender-esq logo on.  Any tips, suggestions would be cool.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3090
    I have harboured similar thoughts for some time, but have no idea how to make a branding iron
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16894
    I have seen it done.  Quite a few acoustic makers do it too.

not sure where you get a brand from but it shouldn't be difficult.

obviously light woods will work best, but practice first
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    The downside is that it would be less resalable should you wish to get rid of it. A transfer type logo could be easily replaced. 

I remember some years ago someone couldn't sell a decent neck because he'd 'branded' it with a cat logo or something.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5586
    My old Gibson Firebrand Les Paul had exactly that. Here's a pic off the net

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0989/8188/products/GibFB335-3_2048x2048.jpg?v=1444944855

• It'll be my first guitar build, so i dont plan on ever getting rid haha.  Yeah like the firebrand idea
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6572
    edited October 2016
    Alternatively, could the logo be cut out with an appropriate tool and just made to look like it was branded, using dark stain or so forth?
    Just wondering if it may be easier to find someone who couldcut a logo than it will be to find someone to make the brand up for you...unless you are fully capable of such things yourself (you have to excuse me assuming everyone is as useless at handiwork as I am myself!)

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6406
    Have a look at Rothko & Frost's decal options.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2972
    tFB Trader
    A pyro pen or whatever they're called might get it done, depending on design etc I guess.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    I wasn't comfortable with the "G" logo that was on my JXG build, so had a Junior logo made by Rothco & Frost. 

http://i.imgur.com/kGs7Vnv.jpg?1
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    you can get branding irons, but not always cheaply unless you make friends with a metal worker

https://www.etsy.com/uk/search?q=Wood+Branding+Iron

how about this
    https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/215034725/custom-wood-leather-food-branding-iron
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2381
    I was wondering if our favourite resident pickup maker, might be able to do something similar with his fancy pants laser?

I've got a solid rosewood neck I'd like my signature burnt / maybe lasered into the headstock. 

What says you @TheGuitarWeasel ? :D 
  • Well my surname is Pepper (unusual I know) so I was thinking maybe two small pepper shakers at the end of the headstock a la some of the graphics on the JHS pedals if that makes sense...something a bit understated
    PVO_Dave said:
    I was wondering if our favourite resident pickup maker, might be able to do something similar with his fancy pants laser?

I've got a solid rosewood neck I'd like my signature burnt / maybe lasered into the headstock. 

That works very well, I forgot I had done this in the past.  It's a lot neater than a brand though
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1391
    Could you use a dremmel to etch a logo and use a soldering iron to achieve the branding effect?
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    WezV said:
    PVO_Dave said:

That works very well, I forgot I had done this in the past.  It's a lot neater than a brand though
    The neatness would be a bonus for me :)
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10995
    tFB Trader
    PVO_Dave said:
    WezV said:
    PVO_Dave said:

Easy on some levels: better to laser mark a head facing before installing as clearance in the machine for the length of the neck is tight, also the headstock angle back may be an issue requiring a jig to be made.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

PVO_Dave said:
    WezV said:
    PVO_Dave said:

Easy on some levels: better to laser mark a head facing before installing as clearance in the machine for the length of the neck is tight, also the headstock angle back may be an issue requiring a jig to be made.
    Reckon your setup could cope with a Telecaster neck? :) 
    tFB Trader
    PVO_Dave said:
    PVO_Dave said:
    WezV said:
    PVO_Dave said:

Reckon your setup could cope with a Telecaster neck? :) 
    I'll take some measurements today ... it'd have to go diagonally so alignment and logo angle might cause a headache ... but i'll see
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

edited October 2016 tFB Trader

As you can see it has to sit diagonally on the bed ... this means I'd have to rotate the image file to the precise angle of the neck to ensure the logo is in the correct place. Also make some sort of Jig to hold the neck at that precise angle as the scan is made.
    Damn pic disappears every time I try and save it !!!!! Gurrrrr

tFB Trader