Kemper Profiles - talk to me

What's Hot
Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
So, I have a Kemper on the way. I know that M Britt, Amp Factory and Top Jimi profiles are generally regarded as top-notch, but I don't want to spend the cost of the Kemper again on hundreds of profiles.

What I'd like is an assortment, and maybe any good freebies that are out there.

Looking for the cliche stuff really, clean Fender, crunchy Marshall, JTM45 lead stuff, a Soldano lead, something gainy like a 5150.

Any recommendations on which packs to get from where?

Thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richhrichh Frets: 451
    Check out the Kemper forum, if you haven't already.  Also, I think some of the top profile makers do offer some free or try out packs, so take a look at those from MBritt, TopJimi, etc.

In fact though, the prices of the commercial packs are quite reasonable!
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    No need to go mad buying loads of profiles. As has been said, most of the commercial profilers do a few freebies so download those that appeal to you. There are lots on the Kemper when you get it so it's worth going through those.

if you download the Rig Manager software, you can audition profiles from the Rig Exchange (Kemper forum) without downloading them so you can cherry pick the ones you like.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    Alreet.

In terms of output, I'm initially planning to use my KRK RP6's, but I'm interested in what other options sound best?

Active FRFR, or get a small poweramp (Camplifier Studio or EHX 44 Magnum) into a real guitar cab, like a Zilla?

What will get me the most authentic amp sound? I know some people find FRFR a bit clinical.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Small poweramp into a real cab. I've used the fx return on a solid state Trace Elliot amp combo with a 12" speaker of choice and turned cab emulation off.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I really liked keep the Origin Audio PRS Archon profiles, really good both for studio and live through a cab. The tonehammer ones all seem to be decent too. I didn't really get overwhelmed by the amp factory packs myself to be honest. The stock profiles get a lot of flack, but there's some gems on there, check out the LL ones, some gold there.
    edited October 2016
    Thanks.

I'm looking at getting a Camplifier Studio, which is a 50w poweramp for the Kemper.

Then it's just a case of a getting a cab. I don't know whether to get FRFR like a Laney IRT112 or a traditional cab. It'll be for home use, but I'm thinking I might be better off with a 2x12 to move more air and get more bass, to try and get a better amp in the room feel.
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I personally like a cab still, but I've never tried FRFR. At home I stick it through the hifi as flat as I can and it sounds decent, way better than I've ever got at quiet bedroom levels with any other gear for dirty sounds. How loud are you planning on going at home? If it's comfortable levels I'd defiently explore FRFR because I tend to find unless the speakers in normal cabs are working atleast moderately hard they don't sound great, I used to assume flubby and fizzy sounds were the power amp not working hard enough but since owning a KPA I'm sure it is the speakers. If you do go traditional cab, consider which speakers carefully unless you're cranking quite loud, I found CL80s much more agreeable with the KPA at low volume than I've ever found V30s.

Gigging wise I use a Zilla 2x12 with a V30 and a CL80, sounds really thick and nice. In all honesty I do prefer a *real* amp for smaller gigs, I can't explain why but there is a certain satisfaction cranking a valve amp up that the kemper does slightly lack, but that could just be the profiles and not the KPA itself. For gigs where it's miced and you're coming through monitors then the cab is pointless other than for looks, DI out all the way. Some sound guys have struggled with the signal being too hot from the main outs on mine, even at -15db. I think it is because they need to treat it like a keyboard, but they seem to want to stick it through a preamp for some reason, I don't know your experience may vary if you do end up playing out with it but it has been an issue for me.

One thing with FRFR is you do get to make the most of the cabs which are a much bigger part of the sound than I realised. It's worth checking the Kemper forum because most of this kind of stuff has been discussed to death, on there atleast the Yamaha DXR10 seems to be the favoured FRFR without breaking the bank.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Discussed to death with no conclusion. I tried the Kemper through my pair of Genelec 8040s and after a few weeks tried it through a real cab. Through the Genelecs it was a little bit sterile and artificial, through the cab speaker it sounded real. But the cab speaker adds its own tonal colour so you might find as I did that Fender cleans sound better through a Jensen and Marshall crunch sounds better through a greenback. Take your pick.
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    I may be selling my Camplifier and Matrix FRFR cab if of interest to OP.  I'll be keeping the Kemper itself for recording and headphone use.  I think I sold my Kemper Remote to you Jack, fairly recently? 

Anyway, I can recommend the Camplifier units, though I've not compared to the Kemper amps.
  • @Jack_  where did you get your Kemper?
    im thinking of making a rather drastic jump........
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    @Jack_  where did you get your Kemper?
    eBay.

Unfortunately I got a toaster, when I would've preferred a rack, but they don't come up all that often, and I'm a bit impatient when I get an idea in my head.

I only got the Eleven Rack about a month ago or so, but I was so impressed with it, that this seemed like the logical step, albeit costly. I'm hoping the Kemper provides some of the warmth/dynamics that was lacking from the Eleven Rack.

I may keep the Eleven though, at current it's my only audio interface, and it still offers a lot more than its resale value.
  • Jack_ said:
    eBay.

Unfortunately I got a toaster, when I would've preferred a rack, but they don't come up all that often, and I'm a bit impatient when I get an idea in my head.

I only got the Eleven Rack about a month ago or so, but I was so impressed with it, that this seemed like the logical step, albeit costly. I'm hoping the Kemper provides some of the warmth/dynamics that was lacking from the Eleven Rack.

I may keep the Eleven though, at current it's my only audio interface, and it still offers a lot more than its resale value.
    Interesting, how do find the comparison? 
    Im thinking of seeing if I can live with the 11R through a power amp and guitar cab.
    as I found running the pre amps through the fx loop of my amp give pretty good results, albeit different tones, it was more just different rather than lower quality.
    could be that it's the cab and mic settings that let it down, against more modern stuff.
    Jack_ said:
    eBay.

Interesting, how do find the comparison? 
    Im thinking of seeing if I can live with the 11R through a power amp and guitar cab.
    as I found running the pre amps through the fx loop of my amp give pretty good results, albeit different tones, it was more just different rather than lower quality.
    could be that it's the cab and mic settings that let it down, against more modern stuff.
    I'm not sure you'll see much of an improvement from using a power amp and cab compared to going into the fx loop of your amp, unless you spend a fair wedge on the power amp and cab... Plus any normal cab is going to be one flavour.

With the Eleven, it might not be so crucial, but if you did go to Kemper yourself, or Axe FX, then you're losing a modifier in your signal chain, because you'll be stuck with one cab, rather than infinite IRs, which can alter the overall tone a fair bit.

On the Kemper forums, quite a few people use normal cabs, but the general consensus is that the Kemper works very much like the amp that you're profiling, and hence if you're using a Marshall profile, with a Marshall cab, it'll sound good, but if you then put a Fender Twin profile through the Marshall cab, you might not get what you want.

With regards to going into the FX loop of your amp, what amp is it? There's also a mention on the Kemper forums of how good the Fender Mustang modelling amps work as just a powered speaker, bypassing the pre-amp of the amp. I'm going to test this, hopefully I can get hold of a Mustang that someone is willing to let go of on the cheap.
  • It's an Engl Screamer 50 1x12 6l6 with a V30.
    the 11R against the internal pre amp was pretty decent, using either a Mesa high gain or a fender clean.
    im going to set up a few patches to mimic a clean amp and try on Monday at rehearsal.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    It's an Engl Screamer 50 1x12 6l6 with a V30.
    the 11R against the internal pre amp was pretty decent, using either a Mesa high gain or a fender clean.
    im going to set up a few patches to mimic a clean amp and try on Monday at rehearsal.

If I'm not mistaken some Mesa's have the tone stack after the Preamp, so that might work well with a Kemper through the FX Loop
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    There was a rack version going for 1k earlier on one of the fb groups ...

edited October 2016
    sgosden said:
    There was a rack version going for 1k earlier on one of the fb groups ...

Yeah, the day after I go and buy the toaster version.

Sod's law.
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 357
    My powered KPA sounds decent but a bit dark with a real cab. I tried taking the cab sim out but it sounded shit, like DI'ing from the send of tube amp.. Maybe the profiles I tried it were not meant for this.

Through the Matrix passive CFR 12 or my HS5s via DAW it sounds great.
    Live, when my playing (and band's) is tight it sounds like isolated gtr parts from a well produced record. As much as I like a cranked amp blowing my pants off through a cab, I like the "studio" sound more. 
    But my playing (and the band's) needs to be spot on as does the stage monitor mix. 

Headphones or IEMs lack depth. Again, with expensive gear (e.g. multiple drivers per ear) and a good band mix it is much better.
    Imho, as good as the KPA can be (and I like mine a lot), I think one has to like the studio sound a bit and learn to think a bit more like a mixing eng. 

For the function gigs and session work I've been doing, dialling in my idea of tone through my amp rig now seems more like a self-indulgence of the past rather then a sensible and considerate approach to tone. 
    Were I playing in a power trio or a proper rock band it would be diff. but the KPA ain't too shabby for that either. 

Also, @ragingben, for DI out level try -17.5 db. Iirc the folks over at the KPA forum suggest it and I've had no probs. with 4 diff. soundguys. Also check that you're not pushing the KPA output too hard
    (I think the way to do this is via the input sensitivity but ain't 100% yet how this works; I've just found a setting that works across a few diff. gtrs and left it at that)

Well, the guy that sent it to me left just one profile on it, so I'm putting in the factory ones now just to get a baseline.

They take a while to upload to the Kemper via Rig Manager?
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2375
    Jack_ said:
    Well, the guy that sent it to me left just one profile on it, so I'm putting in the factory ones now just to get a baseline.

They take a while to upload to the Kemper via Rig Manager?
    I believe you can grab them all from the Kemper download section on the website, you then get the option of loading them all via USB or you can auditon them via Rig Manager :)