Hyperloop

What's Hot
Has anyone else seen the news that they're planning to put a Hyperloop (electromagnetic propulsions pod transportation system) from Dubai to Abu Dhabi? Instead of a 4hour flight the journey will take 12minutes! 
I proper love this kind of "technology of the future", it's pretty sci-fi.
https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articles/2016/10/hyperloops-first-full-scale-demonstration-date-confirmed/
Video of first test run in the Vegas desert:
https://youtu.be/-Lylv2gud08
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MayneheadMaynehead Frets: 1782
    It's all fun and games until someone gets stuck half way through...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Watch this for why it's unfortunately a load of cobblers...

There's a shorter version than above on his channel I'm sure.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1774
    %-( %-(
     Party poopers!
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28354
    lloyd said:

I got about nine minutes in before giving up. The guy hasn't read the proposal, and doesn't understand a lot of basic material science. Presumably he has other videos about how we couldn't have landed on the moon, and cheese is just dinosaur vomit.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    lloyd said:

I got about nine minutes in before giving up. The guy hasn't read the proposal, and doesn't understand a lot of basic material science. Presumably he has other videos about how we couldn't have landed on the moon, and cheese is just dinosaur vomit.
    I think you should probably hold off on commenting unless you've seen the whole video really.

He sounds pretty clued up to me, he's a chemistry phd (His name is Phil Mason) so presumably has a basic grasp of material science,  and has a long history of debunking bullshit science (solar roads, floating cars etc) I'm fucking useless with science and engineering but he sounds like he knows a thing or two.

It could well become a reality in the future but for the moment, I think the reasons he gives for it's non-working are pretty accurate.

lloyd said:

I think you should probably hold off on commenting unless you've seen the whole video really.
    He was wrong enough in nine minutes. He's not going to get less wrong given another twenty. By your own admission you don't have the background to evaluate his claims so, to borrow your phrasing, I think you should hold off trying to shout down those of us who do.

lloyd said:

He sounds pretty clued up to me, he's a chemistry phd (His name is Phil Mason) so presumably has a basic grasp of material science
    Ah, the argument from authority. His PhD is in "Novel Architectures in Polymer Chemistry". I have an engineering Master's degree. Are we playing Top Trumps? If so my education is more relevant, if not then his PhD is irrelevant. Pick whichever you prefer.

The Hyperloop may well be a pipe dream (see what I did there) but the criticisms he put forward were sleight of hand. Comparing a steel tube in the sunshine to a bimetallic strip in a bunsen burner flame? That, right there, is bullshit science.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    lloyd said:

He was wrong enough in nine minutes. He's not going to get less wrong given another twenty. By your own admission you don't have the background to evaluate his claims so, to borrow your phrasing, I think you should hold off trying to shout down those of us who do.

lloyd said:

He sounds pretty clued up to me, he's a chemistry phd (His name is Phil Mason) so presumably has a basic grasp of material science
    Ah, the argument from authority. His PhD is in "Novel Architectures in Polymer Chemistry". I have an engineering Master's degree. Are we playing Top Trumps? If so my education is more relevant, if not then his PhD is irrelevant. Pick whichever you prefer.

The Hyperloop may well be a pipe dream (see what I did there) but the criticisms he put forward were sleight of hand. Comparing a steel tube in the sunshine to a bimetallic strip in a bunsen burner flame? That, right there, is bullshit science.
    I'm not trying to have a go, shout down or play top trumps, I'd certainly stick with his claims for now that as you said so wittily is going to remain a pipe dream for now.

The technology is way off.

edited October 2016
    lloyd said:

I'm not trying to have a go, shout down or play top trumps
    You told me I should hold off commenting and that you believed him because he has a PhD in a different subject...

Seriously, at about 8:40 he says that a steel pipe, painted white and exposed to sunshine (but only on the top), will bend like a bimetallic strip (which is demonstrated in a bunsen burner flame at approx 1600C). That's patently nonsense - a bimetallic strip bends not because one side is hot and the other cold, but because it's made of two different metals that expand at different rates. A steel tube is made of one metal that expands at a consistent rate, and is an excellent conductor of heat anyway so the two sides will be at the same temperature.

See? Bunkum claims in what's supposed to be a debunking video.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

See? Bunkum claims in what's supposed to be a debunking video.
    @Sporky you totally need a youtube channel with videos debunking the debunking videos :) 
    But then who debunks the debunking debunkers's debunking videos?!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:
    lloyd said:

I'm not trying to have a go, shout down or play top trumps
    You told me I should hold off commenting and that you believed him because he has a PhD in a different subject...

I think I'd tell anyone to hold off commenting on anything unless they'd seen the whole thing in fairness, just because the first 9 minutes had errors in it, what's to say there wouldn't be some good stuff in the next?

I don't think I said I believed him because he has a phd in chemistry, if you read it again, I said that his phd in chemistry means he probably has a basic grasp of material science, which I did in response to your claim that he did not.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    Aaaaaand we're off !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Aaaaaand we're off !

Is that Robbie Williams?! We could nominate him as the first person to get stuck in the middle of the hyperloop like Maynehead said!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    @BigMonka - quality!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4548
    People in Dubai don't like the Flintstones but people in Abu Dhabi dooooo!!!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    lloyd said:

I don't think I said I believed him because he has a phd in chemistry, if you read it again, I said that his phd in chemistry means he probably has a basic grasp of material science, which I did in response to your claim that he did not.
    But he doesn't, because he's comparing a bimetallic strip in a bunsen to a steel tube in the desert.

I flicked through the video. He's just quoting enough science to look like he's destroyed it, but he's mostly just raising issues that people will have thought about, and have solutions to.

I don't see anyone pretending Hyperloop's are going to be trivial to make, but they also don't seem impossible either.

I wish people like this guy would spend their effort and time educating and making the world a brighter place rather than basically trolling.
    lloyd said:

But he doesn't, because he's comparing a bimetallic strip in a bunsen to a steel tube in the desert.

I flicked through the video. He's just quoting enough science to look like he's destroyed it, but he's mostly just raising issues that people will have thought about, and have solutions to.

I don't see anyone pretending Hyperloop's are going to be trivial to make, but they also don't seem impossible either.

I wish people like this guy would spend their effort and time educating and making the world a brighter place rather than basically trolling.
    That's cool but his back catalogue of anti-trolling speaks for itself, he spends most of his time being a scientist and calling bullshit claims bullshit-he might get a few things wrong but to call him a troll is off the mark IMO.

Hes worked on some level on the hadron collider for example and spent a lot of time debunking creationist and feminist videos and standing up for free speech on YouTube so shouldn't be discarded off hat immediately.

• From "Religion Is Bollocks" to "Science Is Bollocks".....

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

edited October 2016
    It was neither off hat nor immediate.

By nine minutes in it was clear he didn't understand the subject he was presenting. He may or may not be better in his other videos, but in this one he's wrong with almost every statement he makes. It's all non-sequitors. A and B therefore X, where A isn't relevant, B isn't true and X doesn't follow from A or B anyway.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788

httpimagestvfanaticcomius--NT4zL1r4--t_large_lf_autofl_lossyq_75v1371142942lyle-lanley-and-leonard-nimoypng

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    lloyd said:
    That's cool but his back catalogue of anti-trolling speaks for itself, he spends most of his time being a scientist and calling bullshit claims bullshit-he might get a few things wrong but to call him a troll is off the mark IMO.

Hes worked on some level on the hadron collider for example and spent a lot of time debunking creationist and feminist videos and standing up for free speech on YouTube so shouldn't be discarded off hat immediately.
    It doesn't speak for itself, because that isn't how science works. It's a bit like saying "I've read Harry Potter, so I'm an expert in Jane Austen, both books aren't they?"

Your expertise in one area doesn't give you automatic reputation in any other, and anyway, your reputation isn't what matters, the current piece of work does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom