Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Latest That Pedal Show on octave pedals

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
just confirms what a truly dreadful racket they make, not pleasing to my ears

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    I'm surprised they managed to fill 40 minutes with just octave pedals. Other than minor differences like Toneprint, they have pretty similar features.

If they'd have managed to include more of the Whammy and more on the intervals, it would probably be more interesting I think. I've managed to find a fair few sounds recently by experimenting with my Boss PS-5 and mixing the dry signal with a bit of the wet intervals (mostly 7ths, sometimes 5ths), which isn't possibly with most of the Digitech stuff.
  • Wait till you guys hear next week's show - 1 hour special on ring modulators.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13960
    edited October 2016
    Ring mod, I have come across that in Line 6 modellers, what a completely useless 'effect'

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30318
    I've tried to like octave pedals, I just can't get them to sound good.
    FWIW I've preferred octave down pedals but not by much. They sound horrendously artificial and clangy.
    Of course, that could be down to my playing.
  • Ring mod, I have come across that in Line 6 modellers, what a completely useless 'effect'
    Unless it's in the hands of Adrian Belew
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    I loves me some octaver.
    I think they can be very musical.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7815
    Ring mod, I have come across that in Line 6 modellers, what a completely useless 'effect'
    No. You just haven't played a good one. My favorite effect pedal is still the mf102
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Ring mod, I have come across that in Line 6 modellers, what a completely useless 'effect'
    Only time I've heard a ring mod sound is when Chris Poland is playing his Jan Hammer licks with the ring mod.    
  • I love octavers. Give me mono analogue fatness any day of the week over a POG type. MXR Bass Octave Deluxe works great on guitar but one day I want to get a COG
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    I have an Octron on my board pretty much just to play this one song:

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16301
    Got TPS on, they do love that tc Sub Up  - although with the tone prints it seems to do some interesting stuff. Otherwise in the show  lot of things that sound like the Heavy Metal pre sets on digital practice amps and wanna be Govt Mule riffs ( the Octaver sound in my head is them). 
    Nothing that made me want to rush out and buy any of them though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • maxdmaxd Frets: 43
    jpttaylor said:
    I'm surprised they managed to fill 40 minutes with just octave pedals. Other than minor differences like Toneprint, they have pretty similar features.

If they'd have managed to include more of the Whammy and more on the intervals, it would probably be more interesting I think. I've managed to find a fair few sounds recently by experimenting with my Boss PS-5 and mixing the dry signal with a bit of the wet intervals (mostly 7ths, sometimes 5ths), which isn't possibly with most of the Digitech stuff.
    They took 40 mins because Dan has to say "awesome" 10 times or more and until he does they just keep rolling.
  • Use some form of octaving on nearly every track on our album - couldn't be without it
  • Got TPS on, they do love that tc Sub Up  - although with the tone prints it seems to do some interesting stuff. Otherwise in the show  lot of things that sound like the Heavy Metal pre sets on digital practice amps and wanna be Govt Mule riffs ( the Octaver sound in my head is them). 
    It was mainly rage against the machine riffs wasn't it?

I was more puzzled about all the pleas for cash and the amount of plugs for Andertons. 
    Do they really need the general publics money given that one owns a successful company, the other seems to be involved with a lot of production work and they have additional corporate sponsorship? 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • Got TPS on, they do love that tc Sub Up  - although with the tone prints it seems to do some interesting stuff. Otherwise in the show  lot of things that sound like the Heavy Metal pre sets on digital practice amps and wanna be Govt Mule riffs ( the Octaver sound in my head is them). 
    It was mainly rage against the machine riffs wasn't it?

I was more puzzled about all the pleas for cash and the amount of plugs for Andertons. 
    Do they really need the general publics money given that one owns a successful company, the other seems to be involved with a lot of production work and they have additional corporate sponsorship? 
    I don't think they have sponsorship, it's more that they get a little bonus if someone buys an item featured through their links? I can't imagine it generates much! I'd think upgrading the gear and sets costs too, and as much as they are happy to do it for the sake of doing it, it's nice that there is a reward for putting out high quality information that not long ago would've been paid-for media only? I don't think I'd ever donate, but I might buy something from their store.

All this said, it was a little prominant at the beginning of the show, but they are at least very open about it. Lots of very low quality/low effort youtubers earning a shedload from Patreon! I don't quite understand when putting videos up of yourself playing playstation become a viable career...
  • The POG2 is way better than the tones they dialled in on that video. 

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3054
    The POG2 is way better than the tones they dialled in on that video. 

Absolutely.

They clearly had no idea how to play to get the best out of it. To be fair, they did say you need to totally change your playing style when using one, but then made lots of awful noises and giggled and were facetious. Not their finest vid.

R.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6118
    The POG2 works great with bass, though to get the best from it you definitely have to play the pedal. I didn't see them playing with the Attack and Q controls which open the pedal even more to experimentation.

I just picked up a PS-3 to try out with bass but it's proving a bit of a disappointment so far, it doesn't seem to play as well with bass as it does with 6 string, though I'm wondering if my amp/speaker is at least partly responsible, the pitch shifted notes sound very muddy.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12681
    This video underlines why Guitar & Bass Magazine's new videos are so much better.
    Waffle, arsing about, opinion peddled as fact, begging, badly rehearsed 'gags' and just generally BORING. 

That Pedal Show is awful. End of.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got to admit the last 3 or 4 videos have been substandard.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom