Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hearing nothing back from interviews

What's Hot
MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
Companies the size of a Google might have thousands of applicants per job, so I understand that the CV to Employer stage it's too early in the process to devote more than a very short time to...

But by final interviews will they have narrowed the field massively.

So, for a university based job, open only to current students - and not open to first years, or the third years who did the job last year; not open to anyone out side of the computing faculty students, meaning for the 11 positions only about 30 people got interviews. 

Hearing nothing back in this situation is REALLY shitty - the purpose of the uni course is preparation for jobs, so finding out we need to work on interview skills would be damned useful.

But I just don't get why this is a thing. You spend somewhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours interview a person, can't you take 5 minutes to write up a reason that they weren't chosen - then some HR system could generate an automated polite email to send out... 

When did rudeness become the defacto standard for interview practices? Just a couple of minutes after an interview could mean that people actually have some idea what's going on
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    The last place I worked we weren't allowed to give feedback because HR worried it would lead to lawsuits.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    The last place I worked we weren't allowed to give feedback because HR worried it would lead to lawsuits.
    So, HR were worried their interviewers were breaking the law and rather than fire them and hire staff capable of adhering to the laws governing the country they thought it better to cover it up?

If you're worried about law suites stop breaking the law. If you're not in breach then law suites wont happen
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    That kind of thing really pisses me off. 

Making the world a worse place for the sake of being a bunch of cowards.

Even if you don't give feedback there is no excuse for not letting someone know they were unsuccessful. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    It's normal, two alternatives, both based on the premise that HR depts are totally crap.

1. They aren't going to call as they're negotiating with someone else, so you're plan B, but they'll then won't be arsed once plan A is concluded.  VERY occasionally this might fail and they call you back as 2nd choice.

2. They can't be arsed.

Either way HR are crap - all too common I fear.  It's almost the norm for CV submission, but inexcusable for interviews.

I always give feedback when recruiting because:

a. It's the civilised thing to do
    b. You might be working for THEM one day
    c. No response reflects badly on the company
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Which part of "You weren't the best candidate" is the hard bit? Seriously. You didn't impress them enough with your experience, skills and character. That's the truth, right there. Deal with it and stop blaming other people for your failure.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7788
    Chalky said:
    Which part of "You weren't the best candidate" is the hard bit? Seriously. You didn't impress them enough with your experience, skills and character. That's the truth, right there. Deal with it and stop blaming other people for your failure.

Wow, aren't you a ray of sunshine.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    Myranda said:
    So, HR were worried their interviewers were breaking the law and rather than fire them and hire staff capable of adhering to the laws governing the country they thought it better to cover it up?

If you're worried about law suites stop breaking the law. If you're not in breach then law suites wont happen
    I'm not saying I agree with the viewpoint.

They weren't worried about breaking the law, they were worried about proving they hadn't taking up lots of time and money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    Chalky said:
    Bit of a lousy attitude there ....

Last time I employed someone at my work, I whittled the 90 applicants down to 5 to interview. We finally picked the best one, and I offered the other four the option to call me if they wanted a chat about the interview and why they didn't get the job. Two of them took me up on it.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:

Job candidates have a right to expect the courtesy of a reply of some sort - even if it's "Sorry, but you weren't successful". 

It doesn't hurt to ask for specific feedback, either, as it might help for next time. That doesn't mean they will be able to give any - possibly because their companies policy means they aren't allowed to share it, possibly because they don't have a specific reason they can give which makes sense (a bit like the one above) and it makes them look like lousy recruiters without a recruitment plan. 

The OP isn't complaining that he didn't get the job, is he? He's just complaining there's been no feedback of any sort since the interview. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @TheBigDipper I know it's hard to believe on here, but the OP isn't a he! :scream: 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:
    I suspect you didn't receive enough affection as a child.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • Chalky said:
    Which Myranda isn't doing at all. That's the truth, right there.

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9637
    I can sympathise. Asking for feedback is good advice but people reluctantly fob you off with bland, meaningless nonsense, if at all. I had several interviews that lasted hours, interviewed by 5 people one after the other, going back at a day's notice for a 2nd interview with the guy's boss who was over from the States etc, and some bizarre requests (I needed a job, so show me the hoops, I'll jump through them). 

The best I got was "you were good but we offered the job to someone better". Yeah, thanks for that, helps a lot. The worst was "your CV didn't have the right experience". So, you only read my CV after interviewing me?

No wonder HR departments and employment agencies are universally despised.
    The reason you get vague feedback is because there is only a vague answer.

The truth is, alot of the time, when you interview people it's just gut feeling that makes you agree on one candidate over the other, and that's not feedback anyone wants is it? So easier to say nothing.

"you were good but we offered the job to someone better" What else do you want them to say @thermionic ? That's the truth, you'd have been fine, but someone they felt was better showed up.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    When I interviewed people I always offered feedback ( even to successful candidates). Very hard to make it useful though as either they were fine but the person who got it was just a bit better or they were completely shit and you didn't always want to get into that ( especially with internal candidates). Depending on how many people you'd interviewed it also became a bit of a blur as to what anyone said. However, on a good day I'd try to include something specific such that if they were interviewed again for the same post if they did what I said they would be appoint-able ( although this was nearly always 'answer all the questions fully and think about what the post involves beforehand'). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Chalky said:
    That is a pretty gross comment to make Nick.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Chalky said:
    That is a pretty gross comment to make Nick.
    Guilty as charged
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28352

The truth is, alot of the time, when you interview people it's just gut feeling that makes you agree on one candidate over the other, and that's not feedback anyone wants is it? So easier to say nothing.
    Gut feelings are not an appropriate (or even legal) way to choose applicants.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Indeed, and perhaps gut feeling isn't quite the correct phrase, but when you're interviewing three graduates with identical CVs you're choosing based on the feeling you get in the interview, which is hard to explain.

The HR system had a score you gave each question, which then got added up across the interviewers, and the highest scorer got the job.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16694
    The reason you get vague feedback is because there is only a vague answer.

"you were good but we offered the job to someone better" What else do you want them to say @thermionic ? That's the truth, you'd have been fine, but someone they felt was better showed up.
    I had two equally good candidates for a job recently.  There was literally nothing to seperate them so we tossed a coin.

i wouldn't want to tell the candidate that.

thankfully I had a second position a few months later so managed to get both of them in the end
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom