Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Hearing nothing back from interviews

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22159
    edited October 2016
    Chalky said:

I am not the interviewee's life coach, analyst or parent. It is not my job to nurture their career, give them guidance for their future, or provide emotional support for their disappointment. Unless they are an internal candidate of course - I've often followed up with training, coaching and mentoring because I do have an obligation to help their development.

Too many external candidates think that giving them the opportunity for an interview - something for which other applicants would be delighted to take their place - entitles them to detailed personal analysis and guidance. When the truth is, some one else beat them. The fact that you NEED feedback is probably connected to why you failed to get the job.
    So in the OP's first post when she asks for a 5 minute reply as to why she didn't get the job, how does that translate into 'Please be my life coach, analyst, or parent'? How exactly is it a request for detailed personal analysis and guidance? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Chalky said:

How do you think a sales guy copes with being turned down by potential customers day in, day out? They feel that rejection almost everyday. Do they go back and beg for feedback as to why the customer didn't buy from them? 

The most successful ones do. 

It's the crux of the Build -> Measure -> Learn cycle central to Lean business practices. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Chalky said:

I am not the interviewee's life coach, analyst or parent. It is not my job to nurture their career, give them guidance for their future, or provide emotional support for their disappointment. Unless they are an internal candidate of course - I've often followed up with training, coaching and mentoring because I do have an obligation to help their development.

Too many external candidates think that giving them the opportunity for an interview - something for which other applicants would be delighted to take their place - entitles them to detailed personal analysis and guidance. When the truth is, some one else beat them. The fact that you NEED feedback is probably connected to why you failed to get the job.
    So in the OP's first post when he asks for a 5 minute reply as to why he didn't get the job, how does that translate into 'Please be my life coach, analyst, or parent'? How exactly is it a request for detailed personal analysis and guidance? 

OP identifies as a woman. Please respeckt that.
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    Chalky said:

So in the OP's first post when he asks for a 5 minute reply as to why he didn't get the job, how does that translate into 'Please be my life coach, analyst, or parent'? How exactly is it a request for detailed personal analysis and guidance? 

OP identifies as a woman. Please respeckt that.
    Quite right. So used to writing 'he' on this penis-centric forum. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Chalky said:
    Myranda said:
    Chalky said:
     I've been interviewed maybe 30 times and interviewed others at least double that number. I read the CVs as they come in, so if someone gets to my interview then they are a good candidate for the job, unless their CV is a lie. As an interviewer, my job is to corroborate and expand on the CV, give the interviewee the chance to relate their skills and experience to my walkthrough of the role, and provide the situation for the interviewee's character to shine through.  I give feedback as we go through the interview.

You really are a total fuckwit aren't you.

This is the university I'm paying near £10000 a year for an education in the world of IT employment... and you don't think there's a similar obligation for them to help my development? Words fail me that you cannot see that. You feel an obligation to someone paid to be there, but think somehow there's no obligation for someone who is PAYING to be there... 

And feedback doesn't have to be a 50,000 word dissertation, a couple of sentences in an email at most would be enough. Given that 99.99999999999999% of uni students have no work experience in IT helpdesk support it seems highly f***ing unlikely that it's because anyone was more experienced, given that we're here to GET qualifications it's highly unlikely there were more qualified people... so just perhaps, it was something in my interview technique, body language etc that scuppered me - so perhaps it's something I NEED TO KNOW FOR THE FUTURE WHICH IS WHAT THE UNI IS FOR YOU FUCKING CRETIN. Is that clear enough as an explanation of what I might be thinking?
    Can I give you some more feedback?

Your block capitals supports the last sentence in my previous post - no-one ever recruits the needy candidate.

You are at Uni to listen and learn? Yet your first evaluation of feedback is emotional reaction and condemnation of the person giving the feedback. The interviewers will detect that in your interview and in a sober nerdy environment like IT I guess they are going to probably prefer an analytical response rather than an emotional response.

Interview technique? Be confident and friendly, listen carefully to the question and make sure you answer it first before widening your response. Body language? Mirror the interviewer in body and vocal speed and tone. 90 percent of being successful is whether the interviewer feels they could work with you ok.

Despite being a fuckwit and cretin according to you, I never asked for feedback because I got the job more than 20 times out of the maybe 30 interviews.  Took the jobs too, almost every time.

Sure I remember some of my interview failures. Failure is tough only because of your lack of emotional discipline. How do you think a sales guy copes with being turned down by potential customers day in, day out? They feel that rejection almost everyday. Do they go back and beg for feedback as to why the customer didn't buy from them? Of course not. They review what they think wasn't great, tweak their approach accordingly and move on to the next one. Emotional maturity is a wonderful thing - get some.

Have a nice day :)

Do you think before noise comes out of your face or you mash your face against the keys?

I haven't had any feedback - you can't give feedback on my interview because you weren't there... so my emotional reaction is about you vomiting forth your bullshit opinions not feedback.

First post you say it's not your place to give feedback - second post you say you give it as you go... which is it? Don't give it or do? 

As for your anecdotal experience - good for you? Bad for you? Not sure if we're supposed to care about it or not.

And yes, good sales people DO want to know why people didn't take their pitch ... you've either worked with only very defeatist sales staff, or the most successful ever - such that they never get rejected so don't need to find out how to improve.

The WHOLE point is without know what you need to improve HOW do you improve? If I'm spot on with some aspects of my technique should I waste time improving those? Without looking into the remaining bits and pieces? What if it's something that *gasp* I'm unaware of... could that be something I'd need feedback on?

I'd love to live in the world you live in, where the only source of useful information is yourself, but I live in the real world where all sorts of people live with different views and opinions...  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • Myranda said:

I'd love to live in the world you live in
    Oxfordshire's not that great. 

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @mart - give this a watch:

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I wonder what your response will be if they give feedback that you don't agree with.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4176
    Oxfordshire's not that great. 
    How very dare you! Oxfordshire was where randella first picked up a guitar; bow down, plebs! (As it will probably say on my blue plaque when English Heritage get their fingers out)
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

If Employer_A gave nice constructive feedback to Failed_Applicant_1 it might help them when they are Future_Applicant_Alpha. Which is a bit sad for Future_Applicant_Beta. Employer_A are bastards.

I suppose it's a bit different if it's a university course doing the interview. Perhaps they think the candidate will learn more if they work it out for themselves. Perhaps they didn't know how to phrase, "You come across as a mean grumpy-pants" without risking legal action and the law and creative writing departments wouldn't help since the IT folk are weird geeks who always ask for six slices of bacon at the "six items for £5" breakfast buffet.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ehhh.. might as well throw this here too:

Drew_TNBD said:

Did no one tell her that she's also white? How dare she!
    Oh, slight update...

I'd actually got the job (and another similar job I applied for...) but HR hadn't contacted me - they thought they had... so I was a little confused when I went to see them about feedback and was told "congratulations, and welcome to the team" ... 

The OTHER position I interviewed for a couple of weeks ago - the manager hasn't advised on start dates so HR thought it better to just leave us in limbo than say what was going on.

I still lack feedback though. I might have gotten it, but there's always room to improve
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Oh well done  =) 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28351
    You can still ask for feedback. Just because you got the job (well done, BTW) doesn't mean you can't learn from the application.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Myranda said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

Did no one tell her that she's also white? How dare she!
    Racist!
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4918
    Myranda said:
    Oh, slight update...

I'd actually got the job (and another similar job I applied for...)
    Well done you!
    Sporky said:
    You can still ask for feedback. Just because you got the job (well done, BTW) doesn't mean you can't learn from the application.
    I plan to, but I got confused, because I wanted to know what it was that made me not get it... then I ... got ti... 

was strange.
  • Nah, you can't have got the job @Myranda. The fact that you wanted feedback meant you were a total fuckwit who wasn't up to it, remember? :P 

(PS congratulations)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Yay. 

Well done!