NVGD Les Paul Special DC

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
I was thoroughly convinced by the recent thread I started that I needed some double cut in my playing life, and after some good fortune and an very understanding wife, I made the trip to a respected dealer today to check some out. 

I came back with a 1962 Les Paul Special Double Cut. Yeah, okay, so they stopped making them in early 1961, right? Well, this one checks out - and it's serial is 1962 according to the online guides to Gibson serial numbers. Now, it's either Gibson's wacky serial numbering from 1961 onwards kicking in and it's a shipped-in-61, or this is probably the most expensive Gibson made parts-o-paul ever. Apparently Gibson kept parts back for warranty purposes, and then often used them to assemble whole guitars a bit later on to get rid of stock. 

This one is clearly a MkIII LP Special DC - Neck pickup moved, and bridge pickup slightly moved too. It's a bit rare, as it's a '60 edition with Les Paul Special script on the headstock and the black knobs rather than reflective. 

The Pots and Pups date as 1959. 

It's in remarkably fine condition. No cracks or breaks or repairs - and I've seen it under a black light too.. (!) 

I probably handled a good couple of dozen guitars this afternoon - total worth more than my house. I tried 2 genuinely nearly mint SG Specials with stop tail - one '63 and one '64. The '64 was so mint that I really didn't want to touch it. It was scary mint. 

But this DC blew the lot away. Mostly it was two things - neck feel and the neck pickup. The neck is wide slim, but seems fatter than any modern Gibson I've played with that profile. It's beautiful. And as for the neck pickup - it's difficult to really describe, but the best way I can try is to say that the Bridge pup is lovely - just as I expected, but the Neck pickup sounds Stereo by comparison to the Bridge's Mono. 

It came with the original (comical) crocodile cardboard case. 

You want some pictures, right? Oh, okay go on then...

0reaction image LOL 26reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    You, Sir, do not fuck about! Brilliant Score! :-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    miserneil said:
    Well you all told me not to - and I didn't want to disappoint ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14303
    tFB Trader
    looks mighty fine and hope you'll enjoy it for many years

One good tip - if you find intonation a touch out, especially on a plain 3rd - Look at www.mojoaxe.com for either a compensated bridge for plain 3rd - or what looks like a wrapover tailpiece, but engineered with a correct intonation 'slant' for plain 3rd - Total direct replacement and look totally authentic - so use this, put the original away until required
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6840
    tFB Trader
    miserneil said:
    Well you all told me not to - and I didn't want to disappoint ;)
    The student has become the master! ;-)
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @guitars4you - thanks for the tip. Funnily enough the intonation on the 'G' is much much better than I thought it would be. I will investigate tho!

@miserneil - Believe me, I have so much to learn about the misty world of golden era guitars...
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you - thanks for the tip. Funnily enough the intonation on the 'G' is much much better than I thought it would be. I will investigate tho!

@miserneil - Believe me, I have so much to learn about the misty world of golden era guitars...
    it is often bloomin close and maybe surprisingly so - depends how fussy you are, how good an ear you have and also I suppose on what type of chords etc you play
    @guitars4you my ears not too bad - couple of open chords are a lil off - not by much and you really have to listen for it
  • hoopshoops Frets: 227
    Nice one mate - lovely.
    tFB Trader
    @guitars4you my ears not too bad - couple of open chords are a lil off - not by much and you really have to listen for it
    They do work - I have a late 60's SG in stock with one fitted and with Who style power chords it just works so well - and built the same way - milled aluminium and light weight - so totally authentic
    @guitars4you They certainly do look authentic! Gonna restring first and have a few days playing and then work out if the intonation is noticeable or not
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    That's a bit special!
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Oh wow. Wow wow wow wow wow.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    This is literally my dream guitar, I love Junior style bodies, wide thin necks, P90's, double cuts and cherry finishes. Just wow.
  • Lovely. Which dealers did you visit? 
    Lovely. Which dealers did you visit? 
    PM'd.
  • richhrichh Frets: 451
    Looks lovely!  I've got a single cut '58 Special which I'm really happy with, hope you get as much enjoyment out of yours.
  • Nice guitar. And +1 for the Mojotone bridges.
    beautiful body colour. Not much fading there. 
    I did think about a singlecut, but this one just spoke straight away..

And I don't know if it's been in a cupboard its whole life - it's certainly spent most of its life in one of the dry states as there is very little rusting - but the level of fade is definitely minimal
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3628
    That is gorgeous!

My favourite style of guitar.
    Neil said:
    That is gorgeous!

My favourite style of guitar.
    It's mine too now :)